Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing 1st spot on last day of the season ?

• 02-05-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭

Utd need Chelsea to give up top spot in the final league game. When was the last time it happened in english top flight ? Happened when Arsenal beat Liverpool in 89. Any before or since ? 1995 Blackburn went into last game in 1st spot already and tried to throw it away unsuccessfully. Can't think of others myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No idea.

Here is a question though, where will the Trophy be? London or Manchester? Or do they have two of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Holsten wrote: »
    No idea.

Here is a question though, where will the Trophy be? London or Manchester? Or do they have two of them?

real in london and replica in Manchester i guess. think how it has been done in the past. i.e. real in likely winners stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I heard the trophy will be in a helicopter hovering over birmingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

jaykay74 wrote: »
    real in london and replica in Manchester i guess. think how it has been done in the past. i.e. real in likely winners stadium.

Thought it was in a helicopter hovering between the two (though the distance between the two might mean that is not the case).

It was done once between Rangers and Celtic, but they're in the one city so the 'copter didn't have far to go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Didnt united lose to west ham in 90's to give the title to Blackburn on the last day of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Headshot wrote: »
    I heard the trophy will be in a helicopter hovering over birmingham

They should probably just land it in Birmingham until at least half time. For the environment and that. :)

godtabh wrote: »
    Didnt united lose to west ham in 90's to give the title to Blackburn on the last day of the season?

Blackburn were top that day going into the last game of the season. Blackburn got beaten by Liverpool and United got beaten by West Ham, but as Blackburn were already top of the league, they obviously won the title. They didn't overtake anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Real one in London, replica in Manchester.

godtabh wrote: »

nope. covered it in OP. blackburn were 1st going into last game. lost to liverpool. Utd if they had beaten hammers would then have won the league by overtaking blackburn but only drew 0-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Would be brilliant if it came down to a head to head between top two like the Arsenal Pool game (which was played in midweek). Can still remember that game. Horrific ending. Ball cannoned off Thomas, he raced clear and scored.
    Terrible way to lose a league.For those who dont remember that fateful night

• Advertisement

Would be brilliant if it came down to a head to head between top two like the Arsenal Pool game (which was played in midweek). Can still remember that game. Horrific ending. Ball cannoned off Thomas, he raced clear and scored.

It was on a friday night, not sure why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Oh cheers for bringing back those memories. :D Was still living in Liverpool then, so can still remember clearly the events of the game.

Was there that night with my dad. Bad night that paled when compared to the horrors of the previous month .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

nope. covered it in OP. blackburn were 1st going into last game. lost to liverpool. Utd if they had beaten hammers would then have won the league by overtaking blackburn but only drew 0-0.
    I know I'm a stickler but it was 1-1 on the last day.
    I think the last time a team's been overhauled on the last day is Liverpool and Arsenal in 1989.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Oh cheers for bringing back those memories. :D Was still living in Liverpool then, so can still remember clearly the events of the game.

Was there that night with my dad. Bad night that paled when compared to the horrors of the previous month .
    Yes remember O leary coming up to Aldo after the game and him not taking the handshake. But they made up afterwards I think. The day the music died for a lot of us pool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah what a great night that was. My favourite non United night in the English league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

adox wrote: »
    Ah what a great night that was. My favourite non United night in the English league.

Ah well, you might be able to experience it from the other point of view next weekend:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah well, you might be able to experience it from the other point of view next weekend:D

Too true:) although the odds are heavily stacked against United. If I remember rightly, Liverpool could afford to lose the game 1-0 and still be champs. That goal was the last kick of the game to make it 2-0 to Arsenal for what has to be the tightest and most dramatic league finish ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

DazMarz wrote: »
    Thought it was in a helicopter hovering between the two (though the distance between the two might mean that is not the case).

It was done once between Rangers and Celtic, but they're in the one city so the 'copter didn't have far to go.

AFAIR the last time that Happened Celtic were away to Motherwell and Rangers away to Hibs, and Rangers won, so the 'copter had to go to Edinburgh....

Blackjack wrote: »
    AFAIR the last time that Happened Celtic were away to Motherwell and Rangers away to Hibs, and Rangers won, so the 'copter had to go to Edinburgh....

Could have been, as I said, I wasn't sure at all what the lay of the land was, but just that it was between Celtic and Rangers for the SPL and the trophy was in a 'copter.

Same story on Sunday I reckons... maybe

This happened in LOI in 1993. Remember this one very well.
    On the last day of the regular season, Bohemians only needed to draw away to Dundalk to secure the championship as they had a two point advantage over both Shelbourne and Cork City. However Bohemians team bus broke down before they had even left Dublin and they eventually arrived late for their match in Dundalk.

Shelbourne's home match with Derry City and Cork's home match with Limerick started at the scheduled time despite Bohemians match being delayed. Cork won their match comfortably 3-0, but Shels only won 1-0 with a goal in the last minute by Paul Doolin.

All eyes (and ears) where then averted to Dundalk as Bohemians hoped to take their first title since 1978. However their hopes were dashed as a Tom McNulty goal meant that Bohs were to finish level with Shels and Cork sending the league into an unprecedented three-way play-off.

Bohemians actually finished the season with the best goal difference, but the then league rules stated that the league could not be won on goal difference. This rule was changed the following season to prevent such a marathon play-off occurring again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_League_of_Ireland_Championship_Play-offs

• Advertisement

Update. According to MOTD2 it hasn't been done since that Pool Liverpool game. Think Chelsea are firmly in the driving seat now. Were a class above the pool yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Would they not just use a replica one from the stadium cabinet? Not as if anyone would notice/give a crap!

Did MOTD2 say last niight was their last show of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Did MOTD2 say last niight was their last show of the season?

It would be, sure they'll just have MOTD1 on the Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It was on a friday night, not sure why.

For TV. And because Liverpool played West Ham on the Wednesday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

DazMarz wrote: »

Celtic were away afaik. Police don't allow two same-city teams to play at home on the same day, especially fans with hatred like Celtic and Ranger. Unless there is no other way to have it, eg. London where there are a shítload of teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Real trophy will be in London..... so it wont have to travel....for the environment an all. :D

Its over United fans.... start trying to deal with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

While i think the title race is virtually over, you never know in football! Wigan are decent enough, not great or anything. But they can go down there and just enjoy it, enjoy being part of a big occasion.

Chelsea could miss chance after chance, things could get nervy for them. The tension from the fans could travel down to the players. Wigan could sneak a goal and the match could end in a draw, handing the title to Utd if they win their game.

Then again, Chelsea could score early and just romp it, which i think will happen. But never rule anything out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

monkey9 wrote: »
    While i think the title race is virtually over, you never know in football! Wigan are decent enough, not great or anything. But they can go down there and just enjoy it, enjoy being part of a big occasion.

Chelsea could miss chance after chance, things could get nervy for them. The tension from the fans could travel down to the players. Wigan could sneak a goal and the match could end in a draw, handing the title to Utd if they win their game.

Then again, Chelsea could score early and just romp it, which i think will happen. But never rule anything out!!

Absolutely, ya just can't tell......
    That's the beauty of it:)

• Advertisement

Absolutely, ya just can't tell......
    That's the beauty of it:)

exactly, I won't be giving up until Chelsea go 2 up anyways :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I remember

its up for grabssssssssssss nooooooooooooowwwwwwww

epic stuff

*ahem

Advertisement