Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Listening

Options
  • 02-05-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Any tips for the Irish Honours Listening ?

Its usually the part of the exam that lets me down, what can I do to improve ? Anyone know where I could get a list of the question words and their translations eg cad, cen fath etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Not really, the best you can do is just do every single exam paper, the listening in Dréimire if you get it etc. Im sure some irish listening book has all the questions, also keep an eye out in Foinse.

Good luck ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Does anybody know how important spelling is? Sometimes I hear the answer on tape, but I don't really know what it means, and therefore how to spell it. For example, if the answer is 'Gearrchéim na tíre ar déagóirí', but I don't know how to spell that and write down 'Gearchém na tíre ar dégórí', or something even worse, would I still get (m)any marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Does anybody know how important spelling is? Sometimes I hear the answer on tape, but I don't really know what it means, and therefore how to spell it. For example, if the answer is 'Gearrchéim na tíre ar déagóirí', but I don't know how to spell that and write down 'Gearchém na tíre ar dégórí', or something even worse, would I still get (m)any marks?

I'm pretty sure you'll still get the marks for the information but marks will be taken away from your Irish mark (ten marks at the end). Also, sometimes they specify that it has to be the correct spelling over another one or else no marks, generally because the different spelling means something different. Look at the marking scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Zam's right, you'll get the marks if you spell it phonetically and is recognizable as the word, like say you write down dram instead of dream, you'll get all the marks. They might dock you a few marks at the very end but thats it.

Be careful that if you hear it in Irish, write it down in Irish!! Like if you hear Faiche Stiabhna don't write down Stephen's Green, or you'll automatically get zero!

Advertisement