Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pronounciation of "fifth" and "sixth"

• 02-05-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

i'm bewildered as to where the second f in fifth has disappeared to when the word is being used by many people on radio - particularly some sports commentators and it becomes very strange as "fith".
    as for "sixth" i have noticed on the bbc and now more frequently on RTE that this word is becoming a very difficult to say "sikth". strange but true.
    :rolleyes:. return the "f" and the "x" to where they belong!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Blame the Nordies, these punters can't seem to handle that letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

... and if I hear one more Irish person saying 'heith' for 'height'!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ruskey!

not to mention "thung" instead of tongue !!!........
    as long as no one starts speaking in foreign "thongs" !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

ruskey! wrote: »
    i'm bewildered as to where the second f in fifth has disappeared to when the word is being used by many people on radio - particularly some sports commentators and it becomes very strange as "fith".
    as for "sixth" i have noticed on the bbc and now more frequently on RTE that this word is becoming a very difficult to say "sikth". strange but true.
    :rolleyes:. return the "f" and the "x" to where they belong!!

Couldn't agree more. This "sikth" thing has been driving me crazy. At least the "fith" numbnuttery has some sort of explanation, lazy ignorance, but "sikth"? You have to want to sound retarded to cough up that sort of Sky Sports bum-gravy.

i was trying to figure out why the "f" got lost from fifth and why not the "x" from sixth - and then i just thought it might be confused with "star wars" speak - remember the Sith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Listening to the commentary during F1 races is always a problem. I have to train myself to tune out when Brundle & co are listing who is coming first, second, third, fourth, fith, sikth, seventh etc.

I noticed with interest that they've now extended this word salad to include fourteenth, fifteenth, sickteenth, seventeenth etc. Has this been going on for long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

I have only noticed it since F1 moved to BBC. Mr. Legard (can't remember his first name, commentates with Martin Brundle) always pronounces "sixth" as "sixth". Drives me crazy !

...pardon the pun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

LadyW wrote: »
    I have only noticed it since F1 moved to BBC. Mr. Legard (can't remember his first name, commentates with Martin Brundle) always pronounces "sixth" as "sixth". Drives me crazy !

...pardon the pun :D

Maybe I'm a little slow today so please forgive me for not seeing what you are trying to say. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Isn't it a basic Irish problem - the th sound is tricky for some reason. Or is it just people form Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Looks like I'm the slow one... must have having a been a blonde moment...

Meant to type that the guy pronounces the word "sixth" like "sickth", as in leaving out the "x"....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

LadyW wrote: »
    Looks like I'm the slow one... must have having a been a blonde moment...

Meant to type that the guy pronounces the word "sixth" like "sickth", as in leaving out the "x"....

Ah.. ok :)

And on the sickth day, you shall rest, for you might not be feeling very well. :P

..... and now ...... is the influence of CBBC that lots of children are now saying "drawering" instead of drawing??? oh woe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

And conTROVersy is gaining a foothold over CONtroversy.... Pet peev.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mike65 wrote: »
    Isn't it a basic Irish problem - the th sound is tricky for some reason. Or is it just people form Cork?

No, they actually say the TH fine, but leave out the S sound, like a bunch of buffoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

mike65 wrote: »
    If you cared to check out your history it isn't that long since we were forced to speak English instead of our native language. We still aren't perfect English speakers but who cares as English people can't speak their native language properly eg. think=fink :rolleyes: Pronouncing your th's makes you sound like a sissy so be a man or maybe a woman in your case and get over it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

If you cared to check out your history it isn't that long since we were forced to speak English instead of our native language. We still aren't perfect English speakers but who cares as English people can't speak their native language properly eg. think=fink :rolleyes: Pronouncing your th's makes you sound like a sissy so be a man or maybe a woman in your case and get over it ;)

Irish people aren't naturally predisposed to speak any language. Although the native language of most Irish people is English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It annoyed me when people say "colume" for the word "column"

Advertisement