Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One week clear out sale in Peats.

• 02-05-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

Was in Peats there last Saturday, they have a clearance sale on . So annoyed that I couldnt buy my tv then, they have plenty of really nice HDTVs on sale at the moment including LED tvs at great prices. Just taught anyone looking for a new HDTV might wanna look in there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What's peats?

Where is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Berty wrote: »
    What's peats?

Where is it?

It's an electronic shop and there is one in the Blanchardstown centre and a few in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

What's peats?

Where is it?

Cant believe someone hasnt heard of Peats....:eek:

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Cant believe someone hasnt heard of Peats....:eek:

Ah Dublinia, thats make sense. No wonder you didn't tell us.

Ah Dublinia, thats make sense. No wonder you didn't tell us.

Didn't tell you what now exactly?

• Advertisement

Didn't tell you what now exactly?

Where Peats is located?

You seem shocked that somebody might not have heard of it. I must remember to read up more on Dublin before reading boards.ie

Where Peats is located?

You seem shocked that somebody might not have heard of it. I must remember to read up more on Dublin before reading boards.ie

Yeh they only have branches in Dublin im afraid, but they have Top class equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The 'bargains' are listed here, apparently.

http://www.peats.com/specials/sale_spring_2010.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Looks like a typical " Peats Sale " aka useless :(
    You will get most of the stuff online cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

To be fair, that sony 46W5810 is an alright deal at 900€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Yeh they only have branches in Dublin im afraid, but they have Top class equipment.

Nope they also have a shop in the Whitewater SC in Newbridge ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mac daddy wrote: »
    Looks like a typical " Peats Sale " aka useless :(
    You will get most of the stuff online cheaper.

Peats never been that great for bargains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ah yes the Pirates of Parnell Street, went in there when was in Dublin and was amazed at all the overpriced crud they sold, not any better than Maplins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mp3kid

What's peats?

Where is it?

Here you go Champ !

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=peats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ah yes the Pirates of Parnell Street, went in there when was in Dublin and was amazed at all the overpriced crud they sold, not any better than Maplins

Bit harsh these days, they used to be like that all right but you'll find the odd gem in there. They're also absolute experts at what they do, I've always said it can be worth a small premium in price for excellent customer care and aftersales.

Plus walking in there is a nice experience - walking into maplins - in Jervis at least - is like taking stargate back to 1990. Place is dull and horrible and has a security guard that always seems to suspect I'm up to no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

sdonn wrote: »
    ...always seems to suspect I'm up to no good.

Maybe you are, maybe you are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Completely true, I remember sending them an email years ago when
    they were located in their old store about the overpricing and they
    just replied with the usual, we are bricks and mortar not a warehouse.
    This would be fair enough but some of the prices are just madness.

I want to spend my money there and would if they made an effort by
    doing something simple like weekly/monthly offers where a few items are
    competitive with on-line prices. Maplin are just as bad for larger computer
    equipment, sometimes small stuff has decent prices but that's about it.

Its a sad day when you get paid and head into the two shops looking for
    something to catch your eye for an impulse buy and there is absolutely
    nothing other than that same old sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I always think I'm robbing myself if I buy anything in there. I dunno if the prices better these days it jus set in my head that's it's expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Bit harsh these days, they used to be like that all right but you'll find the odd gem in there. They're also absolute experts at what they do, I've always said it can be worth a small premium in price for excellent customer care and aftersales.

If only that were true. I had the salesdroid try to talk me into spending 30 quid on a goldplated HDMI cable. Apparently it gave a superior picture quality. When I pointed out it was a digital signal I was met with a blank stare. 5.99 in Game saw me sorted.

Then there was the logitec Harmony remote that didn't suit my TV. I had an argument with the gimp who eventually told me I didn;t know how to work it. When I pointed out that I spent the last 15 years working a a software engineer rather than a peats salesman I finally got my refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

They sell nothing different from any other retailer. I also think when certain staff were shifted on to manage the new stores, the original branch in Parnell Street suffered a critical blow.

Peats would also lean more towards the electronics bric-a-brac.. along with a far greater selection of brands and strange peripherals, when they were on the other side of the street, that also seemed to change with the recent move, pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

stimpson wrote: »
    If only that were true. I had the salesdroid try to talk me into spending 30 quid on a goldplated HDMI cable. Apparently it gave a superior picture quality. When I pointed out it was a digital signal I was met with a blank stare. 5.99 in Game saw me sorted.

Then there was the logitec Harmony remote that didn't suit my TV. I had an argument with the gimp who eventually told me I didn;t know how to work it. When I pointed out that I spent the last 15 years working a a software engineer rather than a peats salesman I finally got my refund.

First case there is a case of them trying to upsell their own product - I do it every day. Not a bad reflection really.

Second case - take your point. First rule of retail is that people are stupid - so we always have to consider "is the customer just an eejit who can't work the thing". So many people can't work the phones I sell them every day, it's uncanny - I got a guy a while ago who actually asked me how to make a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

i dunno wat its like for tv's etc but i know pc components has become much more competative than it used to be.

Plus walking in there is a nice experience - walking into maplins - in Jervis at least - is like taking stargate back to 1990. Place is dull and horrible and has a security guard that always seems to suspect I'm up to no good.

Since when was the Stargate a device for time travel?

Maplin are dreadful, their stores are a mess with stuff seemingly thrown randomly on shelves and rarely will you find a member of staff who has a clue about anything they sell. Stopped in a few weeks back to price a hard drive and was told that usb was the fastest way to transfer files and paying extra for a firewire connection was a con.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Since when was the Stargate a device for time travel?

round about season 2 :pac:

Wossack wrote: »
    round about season 2 :pac:

Been awhile since I watched season 2, there was the epuisodes where they used solar flares to redirect the gate if I remember correctly. Must rewatch all 10 seasons over the Summ,er the DVDs have been beggign to another spin of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Was in Peats yesterday, they had a camera for €159 and Conns Cameras had the same camera for €159 including a 2gig card and case.

I didn't want a case and asked would peats give a 4 gig card instead but they wouldn't go any further than giving a cheap 2 gig card(€9.99). (and no case!)

So they can't be doing that badly if they can let business go that easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

First case there is a case of them trying to upsell their own product - I do it every day. Not a bad reflection really.
    So he comes across as a liar or someone who knows nothing about the product. I'd say that's a pretty bad reflection.
    Second case - take your point. First rule of retail is that people are stupid - so we always have to consider "is the customer just an eejit who can't work the thing".
    I do appreciate that, but as a customer, being told you're an idiot by a shop assistant is offensive and unlikely to result in repeat sales. Indeed, I'd prefer to spend my money in Maplins than Peats because of this experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

If you can, check out your desired piece of electronics in a Bricks and Mortar store before buying online. Peats like all other electronic goods stores in Ireland are not cheap. The suppliers have the market controlled with their RRP.

Go online!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What is this - Consumer Issues?! Bit of venting mixed with a bit of Stargate chit-chat.

Ease up on the bashing kids.. I'm not a fan of them either but I'm not using this thread as an excuse to air out my grievances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

And they have a branch in NEWBRIDGE ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

That security guard in Maplins always eyes me up too. Sometimes I purposely go in with shifty eyes and suspicious behaviour just to wind him up=) A mate said the other day it would be a good diversion for someone else actually nicking stuff :D

Most of the staff in Maplins are useless tbh- they have virtually no product knowledge and one of the them in particular always smells of drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Sorry Dude, but they have a branch in Newbridge,Kildare also;)

Yeh the staff in Peats can be a bit of ' think they know it all types ' They criticize other brands like LG and think their brands are the only decent ones in electronics. I also went in looking for an optical Switcher for my sound system and the guy said ''there was no such thing''. When there is and in my opinion I think every electronics store should sell them. I got one on eBay for 4 quid in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Seems no bargains here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nothing of interest here to be honest!

Closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement