Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teething - 3wks old?????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

what age is she now??
    god ben is dribbling so much with his gums and his little hands are raw from him chewing them.. i get the dodi in as quickly as i can or let him chew my finger but sometimes he chews his fingers and the dodi.. :eek: nutter :D
    the relief i feel is amazing.. fingers crossed now it won't be a short term thing ;)
    And thanks to everyone for the advice... even though i had 2 already it just goes to show i still know feck all!!! flying by the seat of my pants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

She's only 10 weeks! the mad thing is its the large teeth either side of her front two teeth (hope that makes sense!) but when I checked online dentistry sites they said those larger teeth don't generally come through til the baby is over one year old.
    I'm guessing that's just a guide though :confused:

Ah poor Ben, thats gas trying to chew hand and soother in one go! Rose just tries to swallow her whole fist & keeps making herself gag when she does :eek:

Chesty how is your little guy today?are you going to change formula or see what happens?

yeah he looks so cute when he's sucking his thumb.. but his poor hands are in rag order!! he bled one of his fingers yesterday i didn't know whether to put a plaster on it or not... i put sudocreme on them last night when he went to bed.. and i discovered my clinique moisturiser is great for it too when he's asleep.. expensive though!! :D
    ten weeks is so early for teeth :eek: is she on the bottle?? ouch if she's not!! she looks gorgeous in the pics ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

Hi, DS (Daniel) has been in great form past few days (fingers crossed!) Slept a lot of today (he doesnt really sleep much during the day) might do a 2 - 3hr nap, thats it - he will be 5wks on Monday so think he should be sleeping a bit more? He is very alert and wants to be held most of the time he is awake which is impossible when you have other kids...

Seen PHN and doc yesterday and they reckon he has a very mild floppy larynx which would cause the wheezing, gulping while he drinks and the gurgly belly. Not going to change the formula just yet - he seems ok at the moment but if I do change, I will change to the Cow and Gate Comfort. He is thriving (12lbs now), doesnt throw up any of his feeds and today drained all his bottles, this evening I had to make an extra 2ozs for him. Maybe he is having a growth spurt!

Who knows???? I am sure tomorrow will bring another dilemma:)

My 7yr old had 2 teeth at 4mths and they DO bite when you breastfeed...OUCH:eek::)

Well, of to the leaba now.....heres hoping for a few hours sleep!

that's great news, it's such a relief when you have an answer!! sounds like he's going through the spurt or maybe just settled enough to drink his bottles!! Ben everynow nad then thinks that he's getting the comfort feed and refuses the bottle still until i get a tiny bit into his mouth and he realises its the nice bottle and he drains it! :D

• Advertisement

DS is very wheezy and having trouble drinking his bottles. He manages about 60mls then starts to gasp/choke. So give him a breather, he wants more but when I try to give it to him he really cant swallow. He badly gasps for air and the little bit he swallows you can hear going into his tummy and actually hurts him.

He gasps for air in his sleep also.:(

I have been reading up on this "floppy larynx" and seemingly it will get worse before it gets better.

Anyone else experience this?

Chesty that sounds horrific!! your poor baba.. :eek: would it make a difference on the speed of the teat at all??

I was delighted to get Ben's appointment for the pediatrician on Monday.. so hopefully we're on the road to some answers..;)

Yeah, the gasping for air especially in his sleep is scary, but seemingly very normal with this condition. TG he only has a very mild case. I googled it on youtube and there are some bad cases....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWmfWFqBg94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-8uTk1MfwQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19zQv9ooFsI&feature=related

Thankfully it is nothing serious, first I thought teething then reflux and people thought I was crazy but I knew there was something making him restless!

Best of luck on Monday Cbyrd..let us know how Ben gets on.

(BTW, little guy is so adorable in the last link) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Doroteo

amazing

So Bens poo has been bottled and sent for testing!! :eek::D yuck :o other than that i've just to wait keep doing what i'm doing til the results are back and then he'll be reviewed!

there's very little more info they could give me but she told me to stop the gavisgon and see what happens... one bottle without it and he puked all over me:rolleyes: in the A and E dept when i was waiting to get my leg seen to!! needless to say it went into the next bottle!;)

so 4 or 5 days we should know more

• Advertisement

Good to hear you finally getting somewhere Cbyrd...best of luck with the results.

I havent changed/added anything yet to DS bottles, but think I might try the Colief or there is a new one to the market by Calpol called Lactease, as he is still quite windy. Other than that he is doing ok...although doesnt sleep a lot during the day. Some days he can go without sleeping! Wouldnt mind but he wants to be held all the time - cant get a thing done..anyone have any tips??

BTW, still think his teeth are bothering him!

Oh lucky you Cbyrd having to bottle Ben's poo, as though cleaning it up wasn't bad enough :D hopefully they'll get to the bottom of what's wrong with him.

Poor Chesty that's tough going when they want to be in the arm's all day. Rose gets days like that, especially when her teeth are at her. I have 2 different chairs for her - a bouncer & a bumbo so I try alternate her in those 2 seats, or if we're in the bedroom I prop her on a pillow on the bed.
    Either way I keep chatting to her the whole time even when she's giving out & it can distract her a bit. At least long enough to let me finish up what I'm doing!

Hopefully your little man will get sorted with the Lactease :)

yes spooning poo out of a nappy at 8am ... there's nothing i'd rather be doing!!:D
    Sometimes when ben is acting up i turn on the hairdryer or the hoover.. the white noise works to calm him down.. and the hoover will nearly always send him to sleep.
    I'm not sure if it's because he's used to it now that i put him in his rocker at about half 10 he gives out, i put on the hoover and get on with it and 5 mins later he's asleep..
    but the hairdryer works too..
    have you tried a sling??
    i got this amazing little teether soother today he loves it it's a u shaped silicone chew thing that looks like a dodi.. ben loves it.. mind you the drool is something to behold and he's not able to hold it himself so i've to hold it for him but it's saving my fingers and his!!

I have a bouncer/rocker chair and I have his musical mobile on a chair beside it, I may get 15 - 20mins out of this (if I'm lucky)....Also have a swing chair which I thought he maybe too small for but am gonna give it a try.

Havent bought a sling yet, thought about it but would prefer to get him used to sitting on his own but it def is a back-up plan:). yeah he seems to like the sound of the electric shower so may try the hoover/tumble dryer when downstairs.

I just bought bottle of Lactease this morn (lot cheaper than Colief) and works on the same principal (i.e. colief 7ml just over euro 15....Lactease 7ml is euro 12 and 15.5ml of Lactease is euro 15).

Anyhow, again I need some advice. The instructions have left me a bit confused....2 ways to administer when bottle feeding...as follows:

1. when making bottle add 4 drops to warm formula (NOT HOT as this destroys the actual drops) then wait 30mins before feeding....(EVER TRY HOLDING OUT A STARVING BABY LONGER THAN 5 MINS????) especially not possible middle of night...:confused:

2. Make bottle, add 2 drops to warm formula and store in fridge for 4hrs, heat bottle when needed. If storing bottles in fridge (which I do) this does not allow you to do anymore than 1 or 2 max. So still doesnt get u thru the night feeds.:confused:

Cbyrd, how u using the Colief drops? I assume they are the same?

if you make the bottles one at a time you put 4 drops in.. it takes a half hour for them to break down the lactose in the bottle so make it up about a half hour or so before you need it..;) but i've often just put it in and then given it to him.. desperation :D
    if you need to make up a few bottles and store them, then you put 2 drops in cos i assume that the 2 drops will work the same as the 4 over a longer period.. if you get me.. :D
    so if you were making bottles during the day one at a time then you put in 4 drops, for storing in the fridge for a few hours then just put in 2..
    hope this makes sense ;)

Yeah, not very user friendly...unless you have a baby who feeds right to the clock (which argues the point of feeding on demand)!! making the bottle, adding the drops and waiting for 30mins is crazy. No baby will wait that long.

Do you know if you can leave the bottle in the fridge for longer than 4hrs with the drops in?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Yeah, not very user friendly...unless you have a baby who feeds right to the clock (which argues the point of feeding on demand)!! making the bottle, adding the drops and waiting for 30mins is crazy. No baby will wait that long.

Do you know if you can leave the bottle in the fridge for longer than 4hrs with the drops in?

Ya there's no problem leaving in the fridge for over 4 hours. It's just that it needs 4 hours to break down the lactose so you need to leave it stand. No problem making up a batch of bottles and keeping them in the fridge for 24 hours with the drops in them.

Thats great...thanks for that.

DS has had 2 feeds today with the drops, now it maybe a coincidence but he is in the soundest sleep ever for the past 4hrs (woke for a bottle and went straight back to sleep) which he never does...:) fingers crossed. Will keep u all posted...

thats great!! sounds just like what happened with Ben ;) its such a relief when they come back to normal!!:D

is he showing ant sign yet of routine or still on demand?? i know with the colief drops you can't really heat the bottle up too much .. but the way i managed was when i thought he was getting hungry doing the sucking thing with his lips) i'd make one.. if it was less than a half hour it still seemed to work. it just needs that half hour to get working fully, i did notice one the bottles where he had less than a half hour, his poo was lumpy :) it was funny in an odd way !!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

it's so frustrating not having the internet! lol

Well, i finally realised poor little Isobel was teething. Just thought 8 week was too young! She'll be ten weeks on sunday...hope they aren't planning on coming up any time soon!

• Advertisement

Poor Isobel :( I was the same with Rose, even though she had all the symptoms of teething I just thought she was far too young to be starting, how wrong I was!

You can give her teetha, though I find Rose is so wriggly that she ends up with more down her chin/neck than in her mouth!

Also Bonjela is now advertised for use from 4 months, but my local Boots told me its safe to use from 2 months old. It had always been used from 2 months & still is in the UK but they changed the licensing laws here recently.

Hopefully those little teeth wont cut through til you're ready to give up breastfeeding :)

Chesty fingers crossed that lactease will do the trick for your little one, it makes all the difference when they start sleeping more!

poor Rose!

There's this stuff up north called Dentinox i can use, so i have a friend picking some up for me. I'm hoping it works! I don't want to give up the breastfeeding, but she likes to chomp, and im rather fond of my boobs attatched!! :eek:

how is rose getting on with her teeth?

Omg yes keeping them attached would be high on my list of priorities also! :D:D

She's not too bad thanks, she does getty ratty days when her teeth and the teething nappies are nothing short of traumatic (for me!) but I'm using Calgel (my mam picked it up in Newry) and its a Godsend because she hates bonjella!
    I think its the same as Detinox so I'm going to get my mam to pick up some of that too, that or buy online from UK :)

Hopefully Isobel wont be in too much pain with them :)

I think Isobel is just the same at the moment. Cranky as hell! Can't say i blame her, but my nerves are shattered!

I have def seen Detinox in Tesco. DS very cranky today, dont know if the Lactease drops are working :(.....he very bad for sleeping during the day...he is tired but wont go to sleep! Any tips?

I have def seen Detinox in Tesco. DS very cranky today, dont know if the Lactease drops are working :(.....he very bad for sleeping during the day...he is tired but wont go to sleep! Any tips?

How old is he?

7 weeks tomorro......

My guy started that at 8 weeks. I'll never forget it, all he did was sleep for the first 8 weeks and then bang! I don't have any solutions for you. It just settled over time here but it does settle. Don't worry about taking him for walks or spins in the car to get him to sleep, it'll all pass.
    I know that Gina Ford, even though I don't follow her, recommends taking them for walks at the time you want them to nap for about 10 days and then transferring them to the cot after ten days when they're used to sleeping around the same time every day.

My guy started that at 8 weeks. I'll never forget it, all he did was sleep for the first 8 weeks and then bang! I don't have any solutions for you. It just settled over time here but it does settle. Don't worry about taking him for walks or spins in the car to get him to sleep, it'll all pass.
    I know that Gina Ford, even though I don't follow her, recommends taking them for walks at the time you want them to nap for about 10 days and then transferring them to the cot after ten days when they're used to sleeping around the same time every day.

what happens if your baby is a little ratfink who wakes every time she is transported from sleeping position to moses basket during the day?! lol

can't seem to get her down during the day, even if she's already asleep. She wakes up as soon as she hits the mattress. At night she's grand though...it's so weird. I guess she just knows, once she's in the moses basket, thats it for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

hacked wrote: »
    what happens if your baby is a little ratfink who wakes every time she is transported from sleeping position to moses basket during the day?! lol

can't seem to get her down during the day, even if she's already asleep. She wakes up as soon as she hits the mattress. At night she's grand though...it's so weird. I guess she just knows, once she's in the moses basket, thats it for the night.

My little one is exactly the same! Won't sleep at all during the day except in my arms, at 10 weeks old she's getting pretty heavy and there's only a certain amount of TV I can take!!

Having read this thread though I checked her mouth and about 2 thirds of the way back she has the tell-tale white bumps which would explain her crankiness the last week or so :(

Advertisement