Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

super refusing permit for mod

Options
  • 02-05-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

hi lads and ladies i sent away for the rifle licence two months ago and i included all the paper work including a letter explaning the reason why i wanted a sound mod and i have no word back yet but everyone i have spoken to that got there licence back was refused the premission for the sound mod from the super and i was wondering has anyone in the gorey district got permission for one or is the super in gorey hell bent on putting a blanket ban on sound mods and is there anything that can be done if she keeps refusing the permit for them thanks lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hi myself and 2 of my shooting buddies had same experience with our Super.

I contacted NARGC & FPU and a solicitor and basically only option is take him/her to the District Court if your refused and he/she refuses to authorise it.

Your not the only ones there have been quite a few lads on here reporting same situation :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Hi myself and 2 of my shooting buddies had same experience with our Super.

I contacted NARGC & FPU and a solicitor and basically only option is take him/her to the District Court if your refused and he/she refuses to authorise it.

Your not the only ones there have been quite a few lads on here reporting same situation :eek:

and if the road of the district court was to be had how much would a case cost to get the mod maybe if a few lads could get together and bring a case or will they have to be single cases for each shooter why was the option of applying for a mod given on the form when the permission is being refused for them the laws an ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭cbrjohnthou

smokin ace wrote: »
    hi lads and ladies i sent away for the rifle licence two months ago and i included all the paper work including a letter explaning the reason why i wanted a sound mod and i have no word back yet but everyone i have spoken to that got there licence back was refused the premission for the sound mod from the super and i was wondering has anyone in the gorey district got permission for one or is the super in gorey hell bent on putting a blanket ban on sound mods and is there anything that can be done if she keeps refusing the permit for them thanks lads

if you get a letter from your doc saying you need to use a sound moderator because the loud bang is affecting your hearing, you see ear protectors or plugs are not recommended when stalking because it blocks out too much, for instance if someone was trying to get your attention to alert you of their presence in an area you were stalking. I know of two guys who went about it this way and they were granted permits. The supers can be a real pain in the ass when dealing with these kind of matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭fiattech

new super in gorey you should be ok. i got my mod off the old one even though she refused me first time.

fiattech wrote: »
    new super in gorey you should be ok. i got my mod off the old one even though she refused me first time.

its the new super thats the problem at least the old super would give permission if you gave a genuine reason for having a mod but the new super as far as i can make out is refusing point blank even with genuine reasons and even refusing the lads that even had permission in previous years for a mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

Reduction of Peak Noise Signature to an Unharmfull level inline with EU directive 10/2003.

you could research this EU Directive.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:042:0038:0044:EN:PDF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

zulu_dawn wrote: »
    Reduction of Peak Noise Signature to an Unharmfull level inline with EU directive 10/2003.

It only applies to your workplace AFAIK, super could argue it's your hobby and not applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Goodoak

johngalway wrote: »
    It only applies to your workplace AFAIK, super could argue it's your hobby and not applicable.
    Not if you're a farmer. of course that won't aply to everybody.

zulu_dawn wrote: »

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:042:0038:0044:EN:PDF

i had a quick look at that eu directive and it seems to apply to workers in a work place and the sport of shooting could not be classed as a work place but do anyone know if there is there some class of eu law or legislation on protection of hearing over a certain db and has there been studies done any where in the world on how much noise "intensity" lets say comes from a rifle when fired without a mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

How about if you got a letter from your landowner saying that - He requires you to provide vermin control/deer management on his land under the condition that the rifle must only be used with a sound moderator, so as not to disturb his livestock.

I know one guy in the club here who asked for a sound moderator and was refused he tried to reason that he suffers from problems with his ears, the superintendent told him to wear a set of ear defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

i had a quick look at that eu directive and it seems to apply to workers in a work place and the sport of shooting could not be classed as a work place but do anyone know if there is there some class of eu law or legislation on protection of hearing over a certain db and has there been studies done any where in the world on how much noise "intensity" lets say comes from a rifle when fired without a mod

Works very well n the UK for professional gamekeepers and stalkers.As it is their "workplace"

http://www.guns.connect.fi/rs/measure.html

About one ofthe better sites on suppressors and their noise& function

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I'm just wondering where it states that the "s" on the license stands for a "silencer". I got back my 22 license this week with no "s" despite ticking it and giving very good reasons for needing a mod. When I got the license there was no mention of the "silencer", whether I had or had not been given permission for one. It states I have the license and says there are no conditions to having it. If I hadn't read here that I needed an "s" to show I had permission for a silencer I would assume this was permission enough.

To summarize:
    I ticked the box for a silencer
    My application was successful
    I was not informed that I was not allowed to possess and use the mod which I applied.
    Therefore, should that not mean my application, including the mod was successful?

Its all very needlessly confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hibrion wrote: »
    To summarize:
    I ticked the box for a silencer
    My application was successful
    I was not informed that I was not allowed to possess and use the mod which I applied.
    Therefore, should that not mean my application, including the mod was successful?

Its all very needlessly confusing.

I also didn't get an S on either of my rifle licenses. I rang my local Garda when he was at the main station in Clifden. He checked my certs on PULSE and apparently I am permitted to possess a silencer for my .223. The HMR license still being up in the air due to a serial number cock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

johngalway wrote: »
    I also didn't get an S on either of my rifle licenses. I rang my local Garda when he was at the main station in Clifden. He checked my certs on PULSE and apparently I am permitted to possess a silencer for my .223. The HMR license still being up in the air due to a serial number cock up.

Perhaps I will ring them to clarify this. The 22 mod is one thing but I'm sending in the application for my new remmy 700 308 this week and that has a T8 mod on it and I'd like to keep it.

there is one thing i can make out is that there seems to be differant inconsistent application of the rules from supers for the new licencing system across the country even though the application form and applying for the new licence is the same country wide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭cbrjohnthou

there is one thing i can make out is that there seems to be differant inconsistent application of the rules from supers for the new licencing system across the country even though the application form and applying for the new licence is the same country wide

thats true, My brother re-applied in october and he is still waiting after jumping through various hoops.I had mine sorted in 3 weeks. Which really surprised me, due to the fact that it took over a year to get my first.243 licence sorted because the super in my area lost my application and didn't bother to tell me :mad:. hopefully next time round all the glitches will be sorted.

Advertisement