Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollie from fame can **** right off

Options
  • 02-05-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

First rule of encouraging people to vote for your favorite act. DONT SEND UNSOLICITED TEXT MESSAGES TO ME!

Russells Bar sent out another one of their messages, asking me to vote for this young one. I have never set foot in Russells nor do I watch this show.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You think the young girl is personally responsible for the texts?

Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Whether she is or is not responsible is irrelevant. the fact that it was sent out ruined any chance of her getting a vote from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Seconded, spam texts are the spawn of the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Report Raphael Mullally to the Data Protection Commissioner if his business is still sending out unsolicited texts to your mobile phone.

Unless you have given consent for his business to send you the texts or if your details were obtained through a sale made to you by them (Through any of the businesses listed in his name) in the last 12 months, then it is illegal for his business to send you any sort of unsolicited text.

www.dataprotection.ie is where you can get the details of where to complain in Ireland.

Otherwise it is pointless starting a thread, with a swearword hinted at with the use of ****, about the girl named in the text.

I am sick to the back teeth with the damn Data Protection Commission. Have been reporting these types of texts to them for the past year.

I have never done any business with Russels. the last time I was in the Hi-Way was on New Year's Day 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I am sick to the back teeth with the damn Data Protection Commission. Have been reporting these types of texts to them for the past year.

I have never done any business with Russels. the last time I was in the Hi-Way was on New Year's Day 2004.

All Hollie from Fames fault I suppose. :rolleyes:

Berty wrote: »

Who said it was?

Who said it was?

You're taking it out on her so...........................................

Well she has a whole 6 days to distance herself from this carry-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Eh, why not just delete the text? Unless you're getting deluged by them on a daily basis, I don't see the problem with the odd few...

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    Eh, why not just delete the text? Unless you're getting deluged by them on a daily basis, I don't see the problem with the odd few...

Because I am always getting them from Russels. and from various other entities, which while not identifying themselves as being connected with russels, have the same modus operandi as the Russels messages.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Who said it was?

Bingo.

By the way, how long have you been modding this forum now?
    If anyone else had opened a thread with that title they'd have been red carded and banned by now.

Bingo.

By the way, how long have you been modding this forum now?
    If anyone else had opened a thread with that title they'd have been red carded and banned by now.

Not quite banned and probably not even yellow carded but probably warned. Not quite a good example to new users to the forum but I think, for seasoned users of the Limerick forum, that billy hates unsolicited texts.

Don't mention the crescent shopping centre to him btw. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Defending the indefensible and arguing for the sake of arguing. Spam senders need a paddlin.

Pretty sure that he is involved with more than just the two names you mentioned. I suggest that you have a look around and see what else he is involved in, and see if you had purchased any item or service in the last 12 months from any of them. If you did, then that's why you are getting the texts and it is legal. If you did not, well his business is breaking the law then

Kess73 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that he is involved with more than just the two names you mentioned. I suggest that you have a look around and see what else he is involved in, and see if you had purchased any item or service in the last 12 months from any of them. If you did, then that's why you are getting the texts and it is legal. If you did not, well his business is breaking the law then

Actually the messages are illegal as they contain no opt out information.

Also, it is illegal for someone to use a number which has been given for one reason to be used for another.

example, If I give a hotel my number to contact me if they have to go check something for me, they cannot then use that number to advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

I actually agree with Billy on this, I get unsolicited texts from a few places too. Which i find fairly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Stupid thread title Billy. fcuk sake, its not hollies fault. I know for a fact that she hasn't a clue about the txts. But i do agree that its exploitation and that noboy should get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

isnt this the same s**t that leanne moore pulled?

how come we where critisising her but we are defending this hollie chick??

Actually the messages are illegal as they contain no opt out information.

Also, it is illegal for someone to use a number which has been given for one reason to be used for another.

example, If I give a hotel my number to contact me if they have to go check something for me, they cannot then use that number to advertise.

Incorrect. If you gave in details such as your address and/or mobile phone number as part of a sale or transaction being made to you by a business, then they can legally use that data for up to 12 months after the transaction for advertising purposes unless you were explicit in demanding that data was not to be used and that demand was was placed on record.

If you gave out your number in the case of a query and no transaction took place where a sale was made to you by the company, then it would be illegal to use your data to send you texts/advertising by mail.

I have already pointed out that the owner of the business sending you the texts has other business interests, having being named as having a directorship in four businesses with a directorship in a fifth that was dissolved.

I would have assumed it was a simple case to see if you had purchased an item or service in one of them and if you had left details as part of that transaction.

i have used the Data Protection Commission to stop unsolicited spam texts from Limerick businesses similar to what you are getting, so it is the obvious route.

Failing that, you are on a public forum that has members of the local and national press as members who use posts from Boards.ie plus PMs from posters as direct quotes for articles in the paper. I would be confident if you suggested in a post that you wanted to have a paper run an article on the issue that one of the reporters would contact you by PM. Once you could provide a picture of the offending text, then I imagine your name would not have to appear in the newspaper article.

Also many other media outlets use the likes of Boards.ie for story information, so you have access through Boards.ie to get your grievence highlighted legally, so why not use that?

Comments saying that the girl has six days to distance herself from the texts are childish because such a comment is open to misinterpretation, as it could be taken as a vague threat, especially with a thread title that says the girl can **** right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Icky Thump wrote: »
    isnt this the same s**t that leanne moore pulled?

how come we where critisising her but we are defending this hollie chick??

Because we're sick of Billy's unsolicited text threads :P

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Can anyone tell how many texts Russells send out????
    If the comments on here are about a single text every month or so then god help you all.
    Some folk just get their kicks out of moaning.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

First rule of encouraging people to vote for your favorite act. DONT SEND UNSOLICITED TEXT MESSAGES TO ME!

Russells Bar sent out another one of their messages, asking me to vote for this young one. I have never set foot in Russells nor do I watch this show.
    Whether she is or is not responsible is irrelevant. the fact that it was sent out ruined any chance of her getting a vote from me.

In view of the fact that you dont watch the show was there ever a chance that she'd get your vote?

The unsoliciting texting is wrong but posting here about it isn't going to stop it you need to get onto the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Think you should change title of thread to russell's bar. Don't think its the girls fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Think you should change title of thread to russell's bar. Don't think its the girls fault.

ok why would Russels be just helping her out for no reason???

the girl isnt an idiot im sure she, exactly like Leeanne knew about the messages going around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

dont see the big deal myself. I just delete them, same as spam emails and i get waaaay more spam email than texts..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Kess73 wrote: »
    well his business is breaking the law then

Wouldnt be the first time he broke laws.. Remember he is a kidnapper so id tread carefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I cant believe a moderator created this thread.. this should be locked long ago if a non mod was the op it would be gone already.

Stab*City wrote: »
    Wouldnt be the first time he broke laws.. Remember he is a kidnapper so id tread carefully!!

Was found guilty of being a party to abduction and of assault, causing injury, on the abducted man when he was tied up.

Also found guilty of making a threat to kill the man.

Theats were also made to kill the abducted man's wife.

Interestingly he was never charged over his claims to have been with the IRA. Which was another threat that was made to the abducted man. It came out during the trial that the threat was made that he belonged to a terrorist organisation and the abducted man would be killed.

And for all of that he was given a whole year in prison, and nowadays gets painted as a respectable local businessman.:rolleyes:

And to top it all of, the guy that was abducted and assaulted was the wrong guy, and not the guy they were after.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/publican-paid-1000-to-have-african-national-abducted-236533.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I never get these kinds of texts. Maybe you should be more careful with the details you give people Billy. If you are that bothered change your number, it costs feck all and you will be rid of this a lot quicker than anything the data crowd will do for you.

Also your attitude with the way you posted this thread is very questionable behaviour for a moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement