Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

move or not??!!

Options
  • 02-05-2010 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

hi everyone long time lurker first time poster!!:)

i'm thinking about moving to the institute next year for 6th year but am undecided. i only moved to my current school in TY, so i dont really want to leave all my friends , but i know with the teachers i have this year i wont reach my full potential in the LC. i'm just worried about leaving all my friends and if i'l make any up there, because i'm kind of shy. but thats the only thing holding me back. Do ye think it is worth my while moving schools again to go there?? :D
    sorrry for the long post.. but the language classes are the lecture style and just learn off notes or is it more interactive with the teachers? thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Don't go blaming your teachers for you not reaching your full potential. A good teacher is a help, but it's not vital. Plenty of students get As with average teachers, because they put in the work. You may think paying thousands for your education is going to unlock your full potential but that's nonsense, only you can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

You really don't want to leave your friends is just a good enough reason not to go because if your friends care about the LC you will be able to fit in a sufficient amount of study in and going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Don't know about the institute OP, but be careful that you're not pinning all your hopes on it as a solution to whatever problems you may have with schoolwork.At the end of the day you and you alone sit the exam, not your teachers or your school. From what you are saying, you sound like you feel all your teachers are bad....not to criticise, but when somebody says that, it's usually the person themselves that's the problem, not the teacher.You must have what? 7 or 8 teachers? No way is every single one of them so bad that you worry about exams. Before you (or your parents) go shelling out a load of money, take a long hard look at yourself and what you're doing, and ask yourself is it you that's not doing enough. Everything can't get handed to you on a plate, you've got to put a lot of effort in, regardless of where your school is.
    As I understand it the institute is very much in the style of lectures, with large classes. If this style suits you then well and good. BUt as I said take a long hard look at you first - it would be a very expensive mistake to find yourself in the institute and realising that they're not going to magically make you get all A's.As I said, it's you that sits the exam at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 staceys

thanks for the replys:)

no the teachers i have are all grand and i put in the work and get the results but theres a few that are very bad. its a fee paying school so im thinking the money could be better spent going to the institute than staying on there if i could get high points. i know no matter where i go I need to do the work and no one is going to do it for me but i just want to know compared to the average school is the institute "great" as its made out to be.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I don't know much, as I'm only trying to get in next year. I just want to say that don't let your friends hold you back from going. You'll be split up when you all head to college, so it's just happening a year earlier than expected. I'm really shy but I'm still taking the plunge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

How about this, instead of spending thousands of euros on the institute why don't you stay in the school and see how you do, work yourself to get the marks and the if your struggling or need help use the money you would used at the institute for grinds instead which would be 1 on 1 therefore alot more personal to you than the institute??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Crow92 wrote: »
    How about this, instead of spending thousands of euros on the institute why don't you stay in the school and see how you do, work yourself to get the marks and the if your struggling or need help use the money you would used at the institute for grinds instead which would be 1 on 1 therefore alot more personal to you than the institute??

Institute grinds are not 1 on 1. They are in classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

unknown13 wrote: »
    Institute grinds are not 1 on 1. They are in classes.

I don't think the previous poster was referring to Institute grinds but rather grinds in general. They said the money not spent on the Institute could be used for one on one grinds.

I went to the Institute for 6th year, mainly due to the continued threat of teacher strikes during my time in school. I had already missed a significant amount during 5th year because the arseholery of the teachers and decided I wanted to make the move.

I know a lot of people are down on the Institute because its a "grinds school" but why is that such a bad thing? Look at the setup of the leaving cert for heavens sake. It all comes down to how much you can remember and regurgitate. The fact of the matter is the Institute is a grinds school which will prepare you very well for the leaving cert. Yes, you still have to put the work in but the standard of classes and notes was much higher than in my previous school and I felt I made the right decision.

OP, if you feel you will do better in the Institute (and you won't be putting unnecessary financial strain on your family) then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Go the the Institute! I'm in private school and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I went for sixth year for many reasons..

I never once regretted it!!
    Such a nice atmosphere.. and great teachers! You can choose which teachers you like in the first month so you find one that's hopefully right for you.

You should really only go if you're going to work. They do give good notes and great advice but you have to put the work in.

The teachers are very helpful, more like friends than teachers in some cases, and I found the school itself to be a bit more like college. It's a lot more organised & to the point.

(Obviously this is just my experience though)

When I went there I found the way of teaching much better taught than my old school and I was happier which helped. The other students were great, very easy to find someone to talk to! You're also close to town so you can walk in for lunch.

Hopefully you make the right decision and do whatever you feel right! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a training centre for exams, despite its name.
    If you are already motivated and prepared to learn off lots, go for it, though you could probably do the same in a real school for much less money.

End of the day it's your choice and you can never really know how you would have done elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Someone should amalgamate all of these threads. There's hundreds of posts collectively on the same topics and a new thread each week!

Advertisement