Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N95 8GB GPS

Options
  • 02-05-2010 11:57pm

I've been given a Nokia N95 8GB to try out with a view to buying it. It's in very good nick externally and is the SIM free version, 0549487. It's running 30.0.018 firmware. I've had a 6680 for nearly 5 years so the N95 is a breeze to get used to, hence why I went for one.

My only worry with it is that the GPS seems to be faulty. It won't lock no matter what I try. If I enter the GPS data app it just says "No connection" and viewing the satellite status reports "(no satellite data available)". If I use assisted GPS it says "Waiting for GPS" and retrieves some satellites but the signal meter is rock bottom. I tried my mother's N95 8GB in the same location, putting the two phones side by side. Her phone got a lock in about 5 minutes while mine just sat there.

I've reformatted the phone without success. Anything else I can try or should I just hand it back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Try updating the firmware to V35. The GPS on my N95 took almost 10 mins to lock on :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Is 0549487 printed on the white label under the battery?

You can update to V35 as partyatmygaff said no hassle, but i would check out the gps more before you buy it. Some n95's had receivers that had to be replaced, and i take it the n95 you are buying is out of warranty and that would mean you would be left high and dry.

Davy wrote: »
    Is 0549487 printed on the white label under the battery?
    Yeah it is. I think I'll just give it back. Wouldn't want to flash the firmware on a phone I don't technically own. Plus I want the GPS working. It's a pity though, considering its in good nick and not locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah it is. I think I'll just give it back. Wouldn't want to flash the firmware on a phone I don't technically own. Plus I want the GPS working. It's a pity though, considering its in good nick and not locked.

I would play with it a bit more, ask him if he has used the gps on it. Needs to be outside, and can take a few minutes to get a lock, and really needs a network data connection to work properly. If its a decent price, dont let go just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

http://www.noeman.org/gsm/hardware-firmware/64357-hardware-hack-improve-n95-gps-reception.html#post323753
    This is a known problem with N95 8GB.The GPS on my N95 8GB stopped working after about a month from new.I had always meant to send it back to be fixed under guarantee but stupidly left it until the last minute to send it back and they told me it was one day out of guarantee and wanted €100 to fix it.I didnt pay and as it was out of guarantee I decided I had nothing to lose and tried this hack as outlined in the link.It now works fine and even picks up a signal inside the house in about 20 seconds.I didnt solder the wire to the mother board as there is a risk of doing damage if you dont know what you are doing.If you read my post at the end you will see what I did.

• Advertisement

I tried it again today, once on a walk and another on the Tralee to Mallow train. On two occasions I did pick up something from one satellite, the bar was longer than the others but still hollow. That probably means that it's not totally dead so maybe it is the GPS aerial inside; but since it's not my phone I probably shouldn't go digging around inside it.

ralphie wrote: »
    http://www.noeman.org/gsm/hardware-firmware/64357-hardware-hack-improve-n95-gps-reception.html#post323753
    This is a known problem with N95 8GB.The GPS on my N95 8GB stopped working after about a month from new.I had always meant to send it back to be fixed under guarantee but stupidly left it until the last minute to send it back and they told me it was one day out of guarantee and wanted €100 to fix it.I didnt pay and as it was out of guarantee I decided I had nothing to lose and tried this hack as outlined in the link.It now works fine and even picks up a signal inside the house in about 20 seconds.I didnt solder the wire to the mother board as there is a risk of doing damage if you dont know what you are doing.If you read my post at the end you will see what I did.

If I could thank you a million times I would! :)

I decided to take a peek as I'm pretty handy with electronics. Upon inspection, this phone has been opened before. There's some small marks around the screw holes under the battery. I opened it up and noticed that the GPS aerial was fitted upside down! Upon refitting it correctly I got a lock in less than 30 seconds! I didn't do any mods, just refitted the aerial.

All good now! :):):)

Karsini wrote: »
    If I could thank you a million times I would! :)

I decided to take a peek as I'm pretty handy with electronics. Upon inspection, this phone has been opened before. There's some small marks around the screw holes under the battery. I opened it up and noticed that the GPS aerial was fitted upside down! Upon refitting it correctly I got a lock in less than 30 seconds! I didn't do any mods, just refitted the aerial.

All good now! :):):)

Delighted you got it going.The N95 8GB is a great phone despite the fact that its a few years old now.It took me some time to get used to its size as it is a little bulky.Dont know what to get if I need to replace it.

Delighted you got it going.The N95 8GB is a great phone despite the fact that its a few years old now.It took me some time to get used to its size as it is a little bulky.Dont know what to get if I need to replace it.
    Get an Android phone or the N900! It's what I did and I haven't looked back since (Except the camera on most Android phones doesn't match the quality of the N95)

Get an Android phone or the N900! It's what I did and I haven't looked back since (Except the camera on most Android phones doesn't match the quality of the N95)

I have read great reports about about the N900.I tried the Iphone but didnt like it.I was given a Vodafone360 H1 and its choked by Vodafone with no generic firmware available.I wonder is the price of the N900 likely to drop soon as its outside my budget at the moment.

• Advertisement

I have read great reports about about the N900.I tried the Iphone but didnt like it.I was given a Vodafone360 H1 and its choked by Vodafone with no generic firmware available.I wonder is the price of the N900 likely to drop soon as its outside my budget at the moment.
    The N900 is great but it's really more suited towards those that LOVE customising their phone and I don't mean adding a few widgets or applications either. It's great either way for the hacker and for regular use.

Vodafone 360 phones are terrible though, the spec is great but the software is unbelievably bad.

Hmm, I found out something else about this phone that has me concerned, I'm surprised I only spotted this now but I haven't handed over any money yet. The IMEI on the label is different to that reported by *#06#. Both IMEIs are valid N95 ones according to numberingplans.com so I guess it could have been a motherboard swap. Either way, I'm iffy about this.

Advertisement