Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to UPC

• 03-05-2010 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Im currently on an eircom phone and broadband package.
    Does anybody know if i need to give eircom any notice before i switch to UPC or can i just go straight through with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

You can just do it. As a matter of fact you are better off saying nothing until the phone is in and the number ported, that is if you want to keep your old number. When the guy comes to install, he will set up your phone on a temp number and you then fill in a form and send it to upc. They then apply to have your number moved. It can take up to two weeks. If you kill your eircon account before they port your number, they(eircon) can give your number to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Daaaaaaan!

so just say i do all that, have the ntl guy do his stuff and when its all done would i just ring up eircom and say like "ive gone to upc, good riddance"?

With the phone part you don't have to say or do anything. As soon as the number is ported you no longer have an eircon phone. With the internet you have to ring and tell them. They might say they need 30 days notice. If you ring them when you get upc broadband, you may have two isps for 30 days. If you ring them 30 days before upc come out they may disconnect you immediately (thats what happened to me). Either way, when you ring eircom to close your internet account they will give you the almighty runaround, it has to be experienced to be believed. They told me I couldn't close the account because I was not the person named on the bill (my mothers name on bill). They then put me through to their "revenue protection unit" which exists to talk people out of leaving. They offered free broadband until my ongoing problems were fixed. When I said that I was going anyway, they tried to change the phone package I was on, this would have added a year to the contract. The girl cried on the phone! It's an experience... Best off to say nothing until UPC have been out and their side is working, then cancel the eircon internet. If they ask are you changing phone provider say that you are thinking about it but havn't made a decision. Do NOT let them change your account or put you on a "special offer" or improved bundle. Then fill in the form and send to upc. Both old phone (on eircons line with old number) and new phone (with temp number) will work until the port comes through. When you start recieving calls to your old number on your new phone all will be finished. You will need to return your eircon phone to them or they may charge you for it! They did however refund us on our last bill for line rental and internet (charged in advance). Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Daaaaaaan!

yeah cheers for the tips, really appreciate it
    just wondering though, you were saying there that i might have eircom isps for 30 days, does that mean ill have a double bill, one from each provider?

Yeah, for 1 month, but only if they insist you stay with them for that month. They didn't do this with me and I was expecting them to. This left me with no internet for a couple of weeks. If they insist you serve out your month you will have two lines, two routers, two wireless networks and two isps. If this happened to me I would stack enough torrents on the eircon line to keep it busy for a month! The only other thing to remember is that when your phone/net/tv is with one company all your eggs are in one basket. When the pipe goes you have no net/tv/phone! This has only happened to me once so far, on xmas day!
    It was sorted on the 26th. Other than that UPC has been a huge improvement over eircon and I don't regret the change one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Daaaaaaan! wrote: »
    yeah cheers for the tips, really appreciate it
    just wondering though, you were saying there that i might have eircom isps for 30 days, does that mean ill have a double bill, one from each provider?

I moved from Eircom to UPC last month and when I called Eircom to cancel Broadband they did it in a couple of days and refunded me the balance of what I had paid for the month.

Advertisement