Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bending Plywood

Options
  • 03-05-2010 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,392 ✭✭✭✭

I'm working on a design that involves curved Plywood 18mm thick. Obviously I won't be able to give 18mm thick any sort of small radius, and will have to laminate thinner sheets. Either 6x3mm or 3x6mm

So I was wondering, what sort of radius could I get in both 6mm and 3mm ply. Assuming soaking in hot water before bending.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

You can buy a product called flexiply that is specificily made for curved work like you want to do. You can buy it in long grain or short grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

As GD says flexiply is the stuff to buy and no need for any of this hot water craic:D:D

Flexiply really is the way to go. I steambent 3mm veneered ply for my junior cert woodwork project in school and it was a night mare as it kept wanting to snap and break. It worked in the end but took a big effort at the time. If I had of known about flexiply then that is what I would have used.

I have used it on many occasions in shopfitting and it truely marvelous stuff for curves.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

where can u get it? looking to do something similar. wats the finish like on it? could you use it outside?

I would need to be veneered or have laminate applied onto it once you have your shape. I don't think you could use it outside! Not a 100% sure though. I reckon somewhere like dublin veneer and ply (DVP) would sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Mellor

Will this be used inside or outdoors?

http://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/ProductDetail.418.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39,392 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am aware of flexi-ply, I don't think its a good option.
    It is more flexible is due to the reversing of the veneers. This increases bendibility but (I imagine) reduces strength.

The piece I'm looking at wil be structural to an extent and due to this I would rather use as strong a material as possible. Bending with steam/hot water would produce the strongest finished piece imo.

So,, min radius for 3mm and 6mm ply?

Anyone?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What 's the structural aspect of the project, and what radius do you need to maintain for this. Is there any element of support in this, is it totally free form in nature. Is it interior or exterior. There are options , but more details on the brief would be helpful.

kadman

The piece of plywood is a support for a chair, interior only, not free form, fixed circular curve, in two places in a single plane. Will be fixed to other pieces of timber at various locations, not on the curve, but close enough to provide additional support. 2-4 laminated pieces of plywood.
    There is no constraints on the curve, but the closer I can get to 100mm radius the better

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    The piece of plywood is a support for a chair, interior only, not free form, fixed circular curve, in two places in a single plane. Will be fixed to other pieces of timber at various locations, not on the curve, but close enough to provide additional support. 2-4 laminated pieces of plywood.
    There is no constraints on the curve, but the closer I can get to 100mm radius the better

A picture tells a thousands stories..........and answers a lot of questions too:)
    Would be nice if you could post one, or better stil a section through the chair.

If the primary concern is using a minimum of 3mm ply, then a 100mm radius is going to be a tough target to reach, but maybe not impossible.

If the primary concern is a 100mm radius, allowing the use of other methods of lamination, with the use of internal and external formers, then 100 mm is a walk in the park. Of course that depends on certain design issues of your project, that can only be further assessed with a drawing or picture. Otherwise trying to ascertain exactly what you are trying to explain , is like pulling teeth, and leaves the possibility that someone will go off on a tangent in relation to the specific details.

In short, visual designs would be helpful:)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AidanBoland

100mm is the minimum radius for flexiply if i remember correctly so i doubt you'll get it with the normal ply

kadman wrote: »
    A picture tells a thousands stories..........and answers a lot of questions too:)
    Would be nice if you could post one, or better stil a section through the chair.
    Not an option at the moment, its for a competion, so want to keep out of the public domain for now.
    Once I submitt, i'll get a scan up.

Primary concern is 100 radii. If I could do this with off the shelf sheets, hoping 3mm makes it via formers and steaming, it makes the prototype easier. If I have to, using single laminates and custom formers will be the method choosen.
    100mm is the minimum radius for flexiply if i remember correctly so i doubt you'll get it with the normal ply
    Bending radius is proportional to thickness, 8mm flexiply has a 100mm min radius. So not a real comparison for 3mm ply.
    3mm flexi ply would bend to 25mm or so

Not an option at the moment, its for a competion, so want to keep out of the public domain for now.
    Once I submitt, i'll get a scan up.

Primary concern is 100 radii. If I could do this with off the shelf sheets, hoping 3mm makes it via formers and steaming, it makes the prototype easier. If I have to, using single laminates and custom formers will be the method choosen.

Bending radius is proportional to thickness, 8mm flexiply has a 100mm min radius. So not a real comparison for 3mm ply.
    3mm flexi ply would bend to 25mm or so

How about posting up the details of the competition, so we can see the brief criteria.

I,m getting a wee bit worried, that we are not getting the full sp on this. When I see things like keeping it out of the public domain,and makes the prototype easier, my mind starts asking questions like.
    Are we being asked to solve design issues for a chair, that is a prototype, meaning one of many. Or am I just being paranoid:rolleyes:

Incidentaly, if the 100mm is the primary, then its easily done, without steam, and with the appropriate materials.........and of course knowledge.

So please emlighten us further

kadman

Whats the full story on it:confused:

Why cant you put the design brief up on here and we can then try help you out more. Are you making a chair or something and need help with the design issues that you are stuck on? It's making me all paranoid as kadman says when you read things like

keeping it out of the public domain,

People on here are very friendly and are willing to help you out but we all need the full story on what it is you are trying to do. No drawings, design brief etc. is fully needed here to be honest

I,m getting a wee bit worried, that we are not getting the full sp on this. When I see things like keeping it out of the public domain,and makes the prototype easier, my mind starts asking questions like.
    Are we being asked to solve design issues for a chair, that is a prototype, meaning one of many. Or am I just being paranoid:rolleyes:
    LOL paranoid I'd say.
    It has to be a new design, if it was displayed somewhere else, its not eligible. I don't think this would be a problem here, i'll stick them up once drawn.

FYI, its not a design issue you are solving.
    It's fully designed by myself, i know its possible to reach 100mm radius via single laminates. But If I get through to prototype (which doesn't mean one of many by the way :D) stage I'd like to keep cost down. Hence the plywood enquiry.

The brief is essentially design a feature seat. Literally.
    Can be desk, lounge, stool height etc.
    Preference is given to reused and recyclable material. The only stipulation is that no injection moulding is allowed (or rather discouraged, which means won't be in the winner design) and can be locally produced.

Other than that it's a blank canvas.
    [/QUOTE]
    Why cant you put the design brief up on here and we can then try help you out more. Are you making a chair or something and need help with the design issues that you are stuck on? It's making me all paranoid as kadman says when you read things like

keeping it out of the public domain,

People on here are very friendly and are willing to help you out but we all need the full story on what it is you are trying to do. No drawings, design brief etc. is fully needed here to be honest

???
    Where did I say I couldn't put up the brief. I was never asked. And to be honest, the brief has nothing to do with the question I asked. And I don't see how it helps. Not related to the question.
    The design issues are solved. I asked for no help with the design. It's not going to change.

Ok fair point and my apologies if you thought I was having a go at you. That was not my intention.

LOL paranoid I'd say.
    It has to be a new design, if it was displayed somewhere else, its not eligible. I don't think this would be a problem here, i'll stick them up once drawn.

FYI, its not a design issue you are solving.
    It's fully designed by myself, i know its possible to reach 100mm radius via single laminates. But If I get through to prototype (which doesn't mean one of many by the way :D) stage I'd like to keep cost down. Hence the plywood enquiry.

Actually prototype means exactly that,:D
    prototype [ˈprəʊtəˌtaɪp]
    n
    1. (Engineering / General Engineering) one of the first units manufactured of a product, which is tested so that the design can be changed if necessary before the product is manufactured commercially
    2. a person or thing that serves as an example of a type
    3. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) Biology the ancestral or primitive form of a species or other group; an archetype
    prototypal , prototypic [ˌprəʊtəˈtɪpɪk], prototypical adj
    Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

I,d like a link to the competition site to see if the winning design goes on for further manufacture. Why is there a need to keep down costs for a single unit for a competition, that doesn,t make sense, as the difference in cost is negligable. On the other hand, if the design of the unit costs have to be kept to a minimum for batch production, thats a different matter.

On the material , it is possible through innovative techniques to get a 100 mm radius on single sheets of ply, that may or not be suitable for your design.
    But trying to explain it without a drawing is like pulling teeth, without pain relief:)

As you say, your design issues are solved, but your manufacturing issues regarding the curve, are in limbo.So post up a pic, and link to competition site, and we,ll give you a solution for either a single unit , or a batch manufactured run. Sure we might even enter as well:D

kadman

Actually prototype means exactly that,:D
    Nope, :p, even read the link you provided.
    It's not one of many, its first, or original type. Not all prototypes become mass prodiced, or many.

I,d like a link to the competition site to see if the winning design goes on for further manufacture.
    The competition is run a high end furniture manufacturer. So, the winner goes on for mass manufacture. Essentially the aim of these competitions is to get designers to work for free. :(
    Any runners up may go on for manufacture too, part of the T&Cs is that they have the option.

Here's the link to the competition, as well as previous years;
    http://www.gregoryaustralia.com.au/creativevibe.asp
    Why is there a need to keep down costs for a single unit for a competition, that doesn't make sense, as the difference in cost is negligable. On the other hand, if the design of the unit costs have to be kept to a minimum for batch production, thats a different matter.
    It's pretty common to keep prototype cost down. Basically, it negligable to them. Not to me (if I don't win etc)
    As you say, your design issues are solved, but your manufacturing issues regarding the curve, are in limbo.So post up a pic, and link to competition site, and we,ll give you a solution for either a single unit , or a batch manufactured run. Sure we might even enter as well:D
    Design is still sketched now. Some of it is hard-lined on the board. I'll have to get it in electronic format for submission, so i'll stick it up then.
    Comp link above, feel free to enter :D

Nope, :p, even read the link you provided.
    It's not one of many, its first, or original type. Not all prototypes become mass prodiced, or many.

The competition is run a high end furniture manufacturer. So, the winner goes on for mass manufacture. Essentially the aim of these competitions is to get designers to work for free. :(
    Any runners up may go on for manufacture too, part of the T&Cs is that they have the option.

Here's the link to the competition, as well as previous years;
    http://www.gregoryaustralia.com.au/creativevibe.asp

It's pretty common to keep prototype cost down. Basically, it negligable to them. Not to me (if I don't win etc)

Design is still sketched now. Some of it is hard-lined on the board. I'll have to get it in electronic format for submission, so i'll stick it up then.
    Comp link above, feel free to enter :D

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it............................Winner gets $5000 dollars, and an allowance for manufacture.

You,re a crafty sod Mellor. :D It took 20 posts to get all the info from you. So I,m not paranoid after all:D. You want a cost effective solution , for a pre manufactued design, to win a competition for your self.:eek:

I missed the part where you said you were gonna share the money, credits, and manufacturing kudos:rolleyes:

If its still open to entrants, I reckon I,ll throw in a design, manufacturing requirements, production method, and cost analasys for each unit. After all its what I spent most of my working career doing;)

kadman

• Advertisement

Your very crafty mellor!:eek::p Are we all going to get a slice of your winnings? :D :rolleyes:

Your very crafty mellor!:eek::p Are we all going to get a slice of your winnings? :D :rolleyes:

No.....you dont get anything for being second. But I,ll buy you a few scoops out of my winnings.:D

kadman

Thanks kadman! We will go for a good session when you when top prize! ha ha

lol Kadman, I really hope you are joking.
    I knew it, I knew it, I knew it............................Winner gets $5000 dollars, and an allowance for manufacture.
    Kadman, Reading comprehesion is more useful than paranoia.
    The winner gets $5000 and a complete version. And 5% of royalties after tax, and returns. No where does it say they get an allowance for manufacture. Plus the runners up get nothing, even if they spend money prototyping.
    You,re a crafty sod Mellor. :D It took 20 posts to get all the info from you. So I,m not paranoid after all:D. You want a cost effective solution , for a pre manufactued design, to win a competition for your self.:eek:
    I'd like you to apologize for that statement (PM or public is fine), I did no such thing.
    I already said it was a competition.
    And I already said that I want to keep costs down, should I not win. Any body who prototypes may have to do so out of their own pocket.
    It has nothing to do with manufacturing costs, as that will obviously be done via single ply laminates on a larger scale.
    But I imagine you know this.
    I missed the part where you said you were gonna share the money, credits, and manufacturing kudos:rolleyes:
    I missed the part where you or anyone aided in the design, or contributed to the cost of prototyping.:rolleyes:
    If I win I won't get manufacturing kudos, you sign them over when you enter (even if you don't win as they can still use your design)

It's a design competion.
    Anyone who helped with the design will get 50%.
    Anyone that was or decent enough to help save me money on the protype gets a thanks. (As that has no effect on the winner)
    If its still open to entrants, I reckon I,ll throw in a design, manufacturing requirements, production method, and cost analasys for each unit. After all its what I spent most of my working career doing;)
    As I said anyone is welcome to enter. Best of luck with the design. Honestly.

Seeing as you (and others who jumped on the bandwagon) may not have read the T&Cs. It's located in Sydney.

lol Kadman, I really hope you are joking.

Kadman, Reading comprehesion is more useful than paranoia.
    The winner gets $5000 and a complete version. And 5% of royalties after tax, and returns. No where does it say they get an allowance for manufacture. Plus the runners up get nothing, even if they spend money prototyping.

I'd like you to apologize for that statement (PM or public is fine), I did no such thing.
    I already said it was a competition.
    And I already said that I want to keep costs down, should I not win. Any body who prototypes may have to do so out of their own pocket.
    It has nothing to do with manufacturing costs, as that will obviously be done via single ply laminates on a larger scale.
    But I imagine you know this.

I missed the part where you or anyone aided in the design, or contributed to the cost of prototyping.:rolleyes:
    If I win I won't get manufacturing kudos, you sign them over when you enter (even if you don't win as they can still use your design)

It's a design competion.
    Anyone who helped with the design will get 50%.
    Anyone that was or decent enough to help save me money on the protype gets a thanks. (As that has no effect on the winner)

As I said anyone is welcome to enter. Best of luck with the design. Honestly.

Seeing as you (and others who jumped on the bandwagon) may not have read the T&Cs. It's located in Sydney.

I think you need to go back and re read the details. There is an additional payment.

You kept the info close to your chest, but you,ve been rumbled:) So take your licks like a man.

I wont apologise for saying it took 20 posts to get all the info from you.Because that is true. It could have been done in your first post. Some might think you were trying to deceive them by not disclosing the fact that you might receive a payment after your design was accepted.:)

I,m not going to ask you for a apology for not disclosing all the facts at the outset, as they are clearly visible now.

Good luck with your design, as you will probably need it, as you will be up against some experienced designers no doubt:D:D

Its been a pleasure watching you work ;)

I know exactly where its located thankyou:rolleyes:

kadman

On second thoughts here is an apology,

I apologise for catching you out.

I wont apologise for saying it took 20 posts to get all the info from you.Because that is true. It could have been done in your first post. Some might think you were trying to deceive them by not disclosing the fact that you might receive a payment after your design was accepted.:)
    I believe its totally up to me how much I decided to give away.
    I am not aware of anything in place that means I have to disclose everything.
    Also, notice you said my design. As of yet nobody here gave any design input.

Just as you are under no obligation to disclose your personal involvement with ICF type systems when posting on the issue. You often do so as it backs up a lot, but that is your choice.
    Good luck with your design, as you will probably need it, as you will be up against some experienced designers no doubt:D:D
    I would imagine so.

As I said I was also pointing it out for others. You, fully disclosure and everything. :rolleyes:

Jesus, you're a bit pathetic. Are you really that sour that I had to help you understand what prototype means.
    It's funny that you think you caught me out. I gave up the information. Their was no Sherlock Holmes moment for yourself.

I wasn't tying to keep anything under wraps. I don't really care if you believe me. I suppose as a proof, one only needs to consider the fact that if I did care, surely I would of just offered some other source and not mentioned it was a comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think you need to go back and re read the details. There is an additional payment.

You kept the info close to your chest, but you,ve been rumbled:) So take your licks like a man.

I,m not going to ask you for a apology for not disclosing all the facts at the outset, as they are clearly visible now.

Its been a pleasure watching you work ;)

kadman

What are you like? Someone was looking for technical advice on how to perform a very specific task. Whether the reason for performing the task was commercial in nature or not, i'm not sure where your sense of entitlement is coming from. It's like if i was submitting a painting or a photograph for a national gallery competition and i asked on the arts/craftys or photography forum for advice on how to mix a particular type of red paint or how to deal with low lighting and then some plonker calling me up because i never said at the start i wanted to submit this painting/photo for competition.

This thread is the biggest example of moderator trolling withing his own forum i've ever seen on this site.

I believe its totally up to me how much I decided to give away.
    I am not aware of anything in place that means I have to disclose everything.
    Also, notice you said my design. As of yet nobody here gave any design input.

Just as you are under no obligation to disclose your personal involvement with ICF type systems when posting on the issue. You often do so as it backs up a lot, but that is your choice.

I would imagine so.

As I said I was also pointing it out for others. You, fully disclosure and everything. :rolleyes:

Jesus, you're a bit pathetic. Are you really that sour that I had to help you understand what prototype means.
    It's funny that you think you caught me out. I gave up the information. Their was no Sherlock Holmes moment for yourself.

I wasn't tying to keep anything under wraps. I don't really care if you believe me. I suppose as a proof, one only needs to consider the fact that if I did care, surely I would of just offered some other source and not mentioned it was a comp.

I,m not going to flog this to death any further, as it serves no purpose to either of us.

Best of luck with the competition.

kadman

What are you like? Someone was looking for technical advice on how to perform a very specific task. Whether the reason for performing the task was commercial in nature or not, i'm not sure where your sense of entitlement is coming from. It's like if i was submitting a painting or a photograph for a national gallery competition and i asked on the arts/craftys or photography forum for advice on how to mix a particular type of red paint or how to deal with low lighting and then some plonker calling me up because i never said at the start i wanted to submit this painting/photo for competition.

This thread is the biggest example of moderator trolling withing his own forum i've ever seen on this site.

Thanks for your opinion.:)

kadman

• Advertisement
Advertisement