Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Xbox Help

• 03-05-2010 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I turned on my xbox 360 the other day and after less than a minute it froze. Thinking it was nothing i turned off the xbox and turned it back on and again the same problem. Everytime i turn on the xbox its freezing in less then a minute. The controller still has one green light on it but if i turn the controller off( take battery out) and try to reconnect the controller will act as if there is no xbox there. Also there is no red ring now and my warranty only covers "Red Rings" i hate Microsoft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

hmmmm.

I'm just after suffering the same fate this morning as well.

I was in a game of MW2 when the screen just froze with 100% of the screen being beige. Controller and Console still had green ring lit, so I turned it off and then on again. It froze this time at the Xbox startup and took on the XBox-green screen freeze. I tried it again. Next time it signed me in and seemed fine for a minute, but when I went to listed to a voice message I had received it froze again.

Like the OP, there is no red rings. It just crashes to a colour screen and sits there.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Im sick of this i got super street fighter 4 waiting months for it and the minute i put it in this happens mine just signs in to live and then freezes. So i just bought it on ps3 and it works great so one more time i hate you MICROSOFT

I've tried it a few more times now.

It will actually stay on for a couple of minutes, I can move around the screen and start up a game etc. But then at a random moment, it now emits a high pitched electronic squeal/screech and freezes.

Is this the kind of thing that is possible to fix, or am I better just going to buy a new console?

If the latter, given I have all my other attachments, is there any benefit of an Elite over a Arcade etc? And is there any good deals on at the moment...

I'm absolutely gutted. I was looking forward to spending my bank holiday Monday in front of it as I've not been online much for the past while...

Also, if I get a new one, do I need to transfer all my data from it? As in will all my MW2 info be lost, or is it stored "online" regardless of where I play. Presume the latter, but just had a sinking feeling that it might actually be worse than I thought...

you just swap your hard drive. when i try to take out a game it is still spining when the drawer is out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

shawpower wrote: »
    Also, if I get a new one, do I need to transfer all my data from it? As in will all my MW2 info be lost, or is it stored "online" regardless of where I play. Presume the latter, but just had a sinking feeling that it might actually be worse than I thought...

No all online stats will be stored, check your warrenty, if within the year the store which you bought have to take care of you. If not within the year ring microsoft and see what they offer you.

My problem has changed. I tried to follow the suggestions on xbox.com, one of which was to remove the HDD and turn it on. However, this has ended up resulting in me now having RRDs. Is that still a 1 year warranty issue, or is there a longer warranty on the RRD problems? :(

yours went to red ring i must try that and then they will fix it

Just gotten off the phone with Xbox support. Lovely lady. Took about 5 minutes, but they'll be collecting the XBox free of charge, fixing or replacing it free of charge in a period of 2-3 weeks (according to her), delivering it back free of charge. They are also throwing in a 90 day extended warranty after it returns, as well as a 1 month free XBox Live subscription. I bought the XBox in October 07, so it was within the 3 year range.

So I'm without an XBox for the moment, but should be back up and running soon enough...

Oh, I was also on the phone to Gamestop in Swords. I won't be taking them up on it, but their offers at the moment are:

Elite. Any 1 game. €259.
    Elite. 4 games incl Halo ODST, Forza, Fifa 09 and another I can't remember. 1 extra contrller. €260
    Pre-owned Arcade: from €140
    Pre-owned Elite: from €190.

Just in case anyone wants to buy a replacement.

yours went to red ring i must try that and then they will fix it

Just to clarify.

I turned off the Xbox.
    I disconnected the HDD.
    Turned on the XBox.
    Got a red ring.
    Put back in the HDD.
    Red ring stayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

J

Oh, I was also on the phone to Gamestop in Swords. I won't be taking them up on it, but their offers at the moment are:

Elite. Any 1 game. €259.
    Elite. 4 games incl Halo ODST, Forza, Fifa 09 and another I can't remember. 1 extra contrller. €260
    Pre-owned Arcade: from €140
    Pre-owned Elite: from €190.

Just in case anyone wants to buy a replacement.

Good deal i would take it , its always handy to have a spare xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

This is what i did the last time I got the rrod.
    I sent it off to MS as per their instructions.
    Waited for 2 weeks. The day I got my xbox back, I traded it in for an Arcade Xbox in Game. I got a New Jasper Chipset Arcade model for very cheap as I was trading in.
    It is definitely worth doing this.

Do not buy a second hand Xbox !!!!!

The rrod is a bummer, but MS are pretty good about sorting you out.

Google Jasper chipset so you know what to ask for in Game - Production dates etc.

claiva wrote: »
    This is what i did the last time I got the rrod.
    I sent it off to MS as per their instructions.
    Waited for 2 weeks. The day I got my xbox back, I traded it in for an Arcade Xbox in Game. I got a New Jasper Chipset Arcade model for very cheap as I was trading in.
    It is definitely worth doing this.

Do not buy a second hand Xbox !!!!!

The rrod is a bummer, but MS are pretty good about sorting you out.

Google Jasper chipset so you know what to ask for in Game - Production dates etc.

Did they not get suspicious of you trading in an Xbox for another Xbox? Was it Arcade -> Arcade too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Did they not get suspicious of you trading in an Xbox for another Xbox? Was it Arcade -> Arcade too?

I asked if they took trade ins of old xboxes against new ones.....
    The staff member said to me "Are you looking to trade it in against a Jasper" ?
    I said - Yes, and he smiled wryly and said "No problem, we have a good few in stock".
    There is nothing untoward about it tbh.
    He then proceeded to give me a choice of about 5 different deals. All of which were great.

I told him I had just received it back from MS but wanted the Jasper to reduce the likelihood of getting the rrod again.

He knew the craic.

It was in the store across the road from Hodges Figgis book store in town.
    Last summer.
    The one I traded in was the Core version - the one before the Arcade vesion. This was the second RROD on that machine. Although the machine they sent back was not my one - they had replaced it with a "Newer" one.
    I had a hard drive etc so all I needed was the machine.
    I picked up a couple of new controllers aswell.

Advertisement