Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North vs. South, with accent on both.

Options
  • 03-05-2010 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I have noticed quite a difference in the accents between north and south, not just in Ireland but in U.S.A. and the U.K. there is a commonality, the northern accent can be harsher, faster and sometimes sounds aggressive, compared to the southern softer, slower, laidback drawl… This is somewhat generalised but it is a valid observation that leads me to ask the question: Why?, is it related to climate? or does some-one have another explanation.

Also wondered if it applies to other countries, esp. Australia and New Zealand, (where it maybe reversed) and if it occurs in countries like Spain, France, Portugal, Germany etc..

I would be grateful for anyone’s ideas on this…. :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I personally find Donegal accents anything but harsh and fast. And soft, slow and laidback don't really describe Estuary English or Cockney.

Advertisement