Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheap but good cycle computer?

• 03-05-2010 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

Im getting a bit more serious about cycling and would like to know exactly how far my longer journeys are, max,average speed,total distance travelled, just the basics but I dont want to buy something that will fall apart or give inaccurate readings, whats a good but cheap computer?

I have one at home that cost 6pound up north but couldnt fit it to my last bike and havent tried fitting it to my newest bikes, its prob a no name brand

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

how cheap are you thinking? cyclesuperstore have a good range of computers that start around 25euro and up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

I know some of their stuff comes in for criticism but the computer I bought at Lidl's is great. Never had a problem with it (yet). Aldi are selling cycling stuff from Thursday and think there's a computer in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

do you want wireless or wired, i much prefer wireless but there more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

found this one
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35744

what advantages do the wireless models have besides looking more streamline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the most I want to spend is 35euro, it just needs to be basic but reliable, something that will last.

this one seems to be the same but cheaper http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23158

the ones Im most interested in seem to be all out of stock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You might consider one with a cadence sensor. I've found that very valuable for improving my cycling style... Works out about €38 delivered so close to your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You might consider one with a cadence sensor. I've found that very valuable for improving my cycling style...

I don't suppose you'd like to give a quick explanation into how they work would you?? Does it somehow measure how many revolutions the pedals are making and advise what gear you're supposed to be in or something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

just get a phone with gps, gives lots of useful info, maps your journeys & shows the gradients you've been up/down. I use 'sports tracker' on android...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There's a magnet goes on your left crank to count pedal revolutions. The computer will just give you a display of your cadence (as well as your speed). Have a read of this thread for some cadence discussion.

Also this and this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would get a wired Cateye. I have used same for up to ten years with no issues other than a single battery change in that period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Agree with Blorg, get a Cateye
    On Wiggle the Velo is €15 and you'd get the Vectra Wireless for €31 so I'd start looking ay those 2.
    You can compare the Cateye models here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you want a really really cheap one for €6
    http://www.suntekstore.com/black-solar-bicycle-lcd-odometer.html
    Use coupon code 1c4330cd
    Use paypal, free shipping takes a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

+1 on the Lidl computer. Mine is working fine one month on. 200km clocked up so far and still counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Slightly hijacking but what would be peoples recommendations for a wireless computer that gives you cadence and gradient plus all the usuals ?
    I have a 305 for running which I can wear on the bike and get heart rate etc from that
    Ideally something avail in a B&M shop in Dublin

Thanks

Advertisement