Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro D'Italia thread

• 03-05-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

i didnt see one so thought id start one

a few things ill ask first before we get into who we think will win it

but are some of the riders taking it too lightly, and possibly not showing the race the respect it deserves?

ive read comments from wiggins, and now today from vande valde, that their using it preparation for the tour

is that fair to a true GRAND TOUR, that is the giro?

and obviously,

who'se your picks for it?

id love to see Carlos Sastre win it, but with his lack of race time this year, i just cant see how its possible

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭paulieb2006

Think Menchov looked strong yesterday in Tour of Romandy, Its pretty open, any one of about 5-6 could win including Evans, Basso, Scarzelli and my pick Pellizotti.
    Have to agree with some riders using it as a "Warm up" for the tour. Its arguably a harder race in terns of the mountains they cover, including stage 16 to Plan de Corones a 12.9km time trial on basically a dirt road.
    Let the good times role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Think Menchov looked strong yesterday in Tour of Romandy, Its pretty open, any one of about 5-6 could win including Evans, Basso, Scarzelli and my pick Pellizotti.
    Have to agree with some riders using it as a "Warm up" for the tour. Its arguably a harder race in terns of the mountains they cover, including stage 16 to Plan de Corones a 12.9km time trial on basically a dirt road.
    Let the good times role.

didnt he say he's using it as a preparation for the Tour as well, scandalous

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

It would seem that one of the favourites won't be there. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/high-profile-italian-doping-case-close

Having announced two months ago that the UCI's biological passport had detected suspect profiles with the likely cause being doping, cycling's governing body appears close to declaring which rider has fallen foul of the sport's anti-doping governance.

Monday's Gazzetta dello Sport reported that between five and eight riders could be named, suggesting that they could include a Russian, two Spaniards, a Slovenian and probably two Italians, of whom one is riding the Giro d'Italia with ambitions of success. Gazzetta added that this rider's passport problems refer to the 2009 Tour de France.
    Gazzetta dello Sport suggests the names will be revealed today (Monday) because the Giro d'Italia organisers RCS Sport has to make a final decision on the teams and riders it confirms for this year's race which begins in Amsterdam next Saturday.

In a blow to Italian cycling, Liquigas rider Franco Pellizotti has been axed from the Giro d'Italia roster due to suspicious parameters under the Biological Passport system, according to La Gazzetta Dello Sport. He was one of the big favourites for the race.

Suspicions were raised during last year's Tour de France when he reportedly returned peculiar blood values, and he has been monitored since then. There he won the King of the Mountains competition. The Italian paper says a source close to the team confirmed the news, and that the International Cycling Union (UCI) is expected to confirm this news plus the identities of the other suspicious riders tomorrow.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4011/Pellizotti-out-of-Giro-dItalia-for-suspicious-UCI-Biological-Passport-values.aspx

Dura Ace wrote: »
    In a blow to Italian cycling, Liquigas rider Franco Pellizotti has been axed from the Giro d'Italia roster due to suspicious parameters under the Biological Passport system, according to La Gazzetta Dello Sport. He was one of the big favourites for the race.

Suspicions were raised during last year's Tour de France when he reportedly returned peculiar blood values, and he has been monitored since then. There he won the King of the Mountains competition. The Italian paper says a source close to the team confirmed the news, and that the International Cycling Union (UCI) is expected to confirm this news plus the identities of the other suspicious riders tomorrow.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4011/Pellizotti-out-of-Giro-dItalia-for-suspicious-UCI-Biological-Passport-values.aspx

that leaves Basso and Nibali as their main men now so, i like Nibali ,although hasnt he been rumoured in working with Ferrari? and i dont mean the car manufacturers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Tadej Valjavec of Ag2R would also appear to be one of those involved, according to Marca.

http://www.marca.com/2010/05/03/ciclismo/giro_italia/1272896448.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's nice to see a bio passport bust when everyone's not saying: "who?".

Franco "Save Ferris" Pellizotti. There goes one of the best nicknames in pro cycling.

It took them nearly two years to nail Valjavec. There was a lot of chat about him after his unusually good ride in the 2008 Tour and he was rumoured to be one of about 20 riders they were looking closely at afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Im waiting for the day when they start to use the tour to prepare for the giro...
    no wait, that wont work! :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Rosendo is blaming his blood readings on haemorrhoids, which is the best excuse I've heard since Frank Vandenbroucke said that all those drugs were for his dog.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

el tonto wrote: »
    Rosendo is blaming his blood readings on haemorrhoids, which is the best excuse I've heard since Frank Vandenbroucke said that all those drugs were for his dog.

Joking aside they can really feck up your parameters
    "A Mate" had similar issues and the effect on Hb was 15.8 to 11.3 then back to 15.4
    Haematocrit scores jumped from 44% down to 34% then up to to 45.1%

These would have give "t" scores which would indicate EPO abuse.

Hence the opportunity the athletes are give to explain them before proceedings are started.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Hence the opportunity the athletes are give to explain them before proceedings are started.

Was just thinking that myself. Reading about the passport, they seem to be extremely careful before sanctioning anyone. Pellizotti for example was told too months ago that he was under investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

i
    d love to see Carlos Sastre win it, but with his lack of race time this year,

I'd like to see him win it too.I think he has intentionally avoided racing much as part of his prep. Hes a wily old fox and could have something up his sleeve. I am putting a tenner on him at sevens. (shocking odds I know but the best I can find.)
    I am not really a gambler but a punt on the grand tours is good entertainment value.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

I was training in Gran Canaria in 2006 and Guess who was staying in the same apartment complex, Mr Valjavec himself, in his Lampre gear out every day we were there, but for alot longer !!

Anyways it turns that a famous Doctor is from a little town in the mountains there called San Bartolome ..... Maybe he was working there at the time .... who knows !

Anyways I think The Rat was there the winter before his brilliant tour ....

And it now seems that the two doctors are both working in Tenerife where Vino was training with Liquigas..... who Pellizotti rides for .....

All a bit of a coincidence ? :D

Biker Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

biker_joe wrote: »
    I was training in Gran Canaria in 2006 and Guess who was staying in the same apartment complex, Mr Valjavec himself, in his Lampre gear out every day we were there, but for alot longer !!

Anyways it turns that a famous Doctor is from a little town in the mountains there called San Bartolome ..... Maybe he was working there at the time .... who knows !

Anyways I think The Rat was there the winter before his brilliant tour ....

And it now seems that the two doctors are both working in Tenerife where Vino was training with Liquigas..... who Pellizotti rides for .....

All a bit of a coincidence ? :D

Biker Joe

newsflash :- wada to setup permanent winter testing facility at tenerife airport :D

Just realised, the fact that Wiggins is doing the Giro this year means that Eurosport's coverage is likely to be decent. Hopefully we won't be tuning in to find darts or poker on instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

It's usually the tennis that scuppers the giro coverage. I bloody hate tennis. Even more than golf, and I despise golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

niceonetom wrote: »
    It's usually the tennis that scuppers the giro coverage. I bloody hate tennis. Even more than golf, and I despise golf.

The fact the Eurosport 2 is available on NTL, might mean that it will be easier to see it live.

niceonetom wrote: »

to be fair, golf is WAY worse than Tennis

its the other garbage on eurosport that does my nut in, touring cars or sidecar racing

seriously, who actually gives 2 ****s about sidecar racing

back on topic

i hope they have it on eurosport HD, i pay a handsome fee for a mere 11 HD channels with NTL, so they had better reward me with the Giro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Here is the line up till next Wednesday...
    http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/

Sat 8th ES 1
    14.30 CYCLING
    Live Cycling: Giro d'Italia - Stage One (180min)

Sun 9th ES 1
    14:15 CYCLING
    Live Cycling: Giro d'Italia - Stage Two (135min)

Mon 10th ES 2
    13:00 CYCLING
    Live Cycling: Giro d'Italia - Stage 3 (195min)

Tue 11th ES 1
    12:45 CYCLING
    Cycling: Giro d'Italia - Stage 3 (75min) This is where the tennis takes over
    Actually, there is no live coverage on the Tuesday, that is highlights of the day before.

It won't go past Wednesday for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

I love watching tennis and cycling but the WTA cmon!?!?

Was looking at the stage profiles. The last week looks like its going to be brilliant. Can see a scenario on the last day TT of Evans chasing Sastre for the overall win, with the climb in the middle adding to the drama. I agree with other posts here saying its a pity that other top cyclists don't take the Giro seriously. Could you imagine the last week with the likes of Contador, Shlecks, Wiggins and Armstrong going for a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Is there any way of getting Eurosport without subscribing to NTL or Sky?

I have satellite. Maybe there's a card you can buy somewhere? Is it on the Sky Freesat (blue card/white card) service?

All help appreciated:).

I presume the tour is on ITV4:eek:?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Another eurosport question. Im about to cancel my sky sports package as i only have it for football and it being summer and all anyway if i cancel do i lose eurosport or is it included on the basic package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

You're allright! It's on one of the basic packages. Worst case you'll have to pay €2 a month extra to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Absolutely delighted they finally caught Pellizotti. He has been dodgy for years. Had all the hallmarks of a classic doper.

Also I do not trust his team one bit. I question Pellizotti on here last year and was called all sorts. Yet again I have called it right. A dodgy blood profile right before the Tour last year, micro dosing or a blood transfusion I would say.

Anyone want me to guess a few more??

Is there any way of getting Eurosport without subscribing to NTL or Sky?

I have satellite. Maybe there's a card you can buy somewhere? Is it on the Sky Freesat (blue card/white card) service?

All help appreciated:).

I presume the tour is on ITV4:eek:?

im pretty sure eurosport is on the "knowledge pack" with Sky, scamming gets ,just another way of making you buy an extra pack

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

drogdub wrote: »
    Was looking at the stage profiles. The last week looks like its going to be brilliant. Can see a scenario on the last day TT of Evans chasing Sastre for the overall win, with the climb in the middle adding to the drama. I agree with other posts here saying its a pity that other top cyclists don't take the Giro seriously. Could you imagine the last week with the likes of Contador, Shlecks, Wiggins and Armstrong going for a win.

i'm in for surgery on the 24th which means I get to lie on the couch and watch the final week. all ways look on the bright side of life :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Raam wrote: »
    Here is the line up till next Wednesday...
    http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/

Sat 8th ES 1
    14.30 CYCLING
    Live Cycling: Giro d'Italia - Stage One (180min)

Sun 9th ES 1
    14:15 CYCLING
    Live Cycling: Giro d'Italia - Stage Two (135min)

Mon 10th ES 2
    13:00 CYCLING
    Live Cycling: Giro d'Italia - Stage 3 (195min)

Tue 11th ES 1
    12:45 CYCLING
    Cycling: Giro d'Italia - Stage 3 (75min) This is where the tennis takes over
    Actually, there is no live coverage on the Tuesday, that is highlights of the day before.

It won't go past Wednesday for now

Turns out that Tuesday is a rest day. Phew!

Wed 12th ES 2
    13:30 CYCLING
    Live Cycling: Giro d'Italia - Stage Four (180min)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ShevY

Or assuming a person has broadband, try using this btv.exe, with VLC media player.

attachment.php?attachmentid=112936&stc=1&d=1273132021

Or just point VLC at http://cctv.ws/1/BritishEurosport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

all ive got to say is
    WIGGO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Bookmark this if you want to get the full coverage - delayed - but that's not an issue if you work during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Bookmark this if you want to get the full coverage - delayed - but that's not an issue if you work during the week

Anyone using that Cycling Torrents on a Mac computer? What software are you using? Thanks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Anyone using that Cycling Torrents on a Mac computer? What software are you using? Thanks ;)

Vuze or transmission both work well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Tried that btv.exe with VLC from 'Shevy'...it starts up and then after 5s stalls ?

Anyone have similar issues or suggestions..?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Yeah - I use tomato torrent.

You have to change some settings to do with ports though - that might be why you're having trouble.

http://www.cyclingtorrents.nl/faq.php#dl9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Yeah - I use tomato torrent.

You have to change some settings to do with ports though - that might be why you're having trouble.

http://www.cyclingtorrents.nl/faq.php#dl9

Ya, thats exactly it! How do I change them?

(I got it to work with Transmssion, but I had to wait half an hour for the 400MB file to download. Is that normal for torrents or do you usually just stream them? I know nothing about this stuff as you can see! :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Ya, thats exactly it! How do I change them?

(I got it to work with Transmssion, but I had to wait half an hour for the 400MB file to download. Is that normal for torrents or do you usually just stream them? I know nothing about this stuff as you can see! :o)

I'm not sure about other programs, but in tomato when you open the torrent there's "Advanced download options" and in there you can change the port range. And save the new range as default.

The speed of the torrents will depend on how many people are currently seeding them. Usually the previous day's race on cyclingtorrents will be quite fast to download. 400mb in half an hour would probably be normal enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

A hell of a lot of crashes today .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

wtf was happening with all the crashes. Was watching the highlights on youtube and it seems there was an abnormal amount of smashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I only got around to watching the prologue last night.

WTF were Eurosport doing taking an ad break during the last three minutes of Wiggins' TT? FFS, I know TTing isn't exactly riveting to watch but that was just hopeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Well hello, long time reader, occasional poster but I lost my last username with the last incident.

Anyway, the Giro just passed through the town I was in over in Holland. The main peloton passed me in about 20 sec, my first time witnessing anything like this so I was just blown away! Here's a short vid I took

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrOk7YyMMyI

Excuse the language but I was mesmerised :o

A friend of mine had a decent camera with him and took some good photos which I'm gonna grab off him and I'll upload them if anyones interested.

Was trying to keep an eye out for Dan Martin and give him an encouraging shout but it was impossible to tell one person from another at that speed, he was caught in a photo though I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Reasons to be staying alert and look out for each other in a peloton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM2VmLZKuaY

Is it just me, or is the Eurosport commentary a bit comical w.r.t. the performance of known dopers?

During the prologue, the commentary on the likes of Basso and Millar were something like "he's not quite the cyclist he used to be" and variants of the same. With Millar they specifically mentioned how he used to be an amazing TT'er but now he's not.

I understand why they might have an editorial decision to avoid getting every race commentary sidetracked into who's got caught for what, but wouldn't it make more sense just to say nothing?

Lumen wrote: »
    ...wouldn't it make more sense just to say nothing?

When you're in the commentary box on your own for three hours, that isn't really an option. ;)

el tonto wrote: »
    When you're in the commentary box on your own for three hours, that isn't really an option. ;)

Maybe it would be easier to have different coloured race numbers for caught dopers. Red on white for "caught" and white on red for "not yet".

</cynic>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lumen wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is the Eurosport commentary a bit comical w.r.t. the performance of known dopers?

During the prologue, the commentary on the likes of Basso and Millar were something like "he's not quite the cyclist he used to be" and variants of the same. With Millar they specifically mentioned how he used to be an amazing TT'er but now he's not.

I understand why they might have an editorial decision to avoid getting every race commentary sidetracked into who's got caught for what, but wouldn't it make more sense just to say nothing?

I did hear Harmon allude directly to his generally oblique references to previous doping. People must have let him know that he comes across as a bit mealymouthed so he did say that he is under some pressure from above to keep things bright and breezy. He gave his little schpeil about how he had big misgivings about Vino because he has never apologized and come clean about his past and has never actually admitted wrongdoing. That was the closest I've heard him come to candid denunciation of a rider.

As it happens I think that a bit of a red-herring as reasons go. How would he feel about Ricco? The snake apologised, admitted wrongdoing, and cooperated fully - to the point where he got a reduced sentence. Would he then be guaranteed a warm welcome chez-harmon?

Anyway, they have a whole lot of nothing to talk about after today's stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Carnage today - that's 2 days in a row - Don't think they'll be rushing back to Holland (although in fairness to the public the crowds were huge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the last two stages are suicide ,why would a pro want to cycle this , no wounder the top 3 from last years TDF are some where else .

• Advertisement
Advertisement