Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro D'Italia thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Some great descending by Nibali today, 80kph in the wet...wow!

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Turning into an epic race. Can see any of 10+ riders winning it and 2 weeks into a grand tour that hasn't happened for a while.....

Getting to the point where I prefer the Giro to the TDF

(Apart for the podium dopers, who seem to get caught in Italy :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

furiousox wrote: »
    +1
    Amazing he was even losing the camera bike on occasions he was so fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

furiousox wrote: »

On the subject of descending -

Congrats to Janos Kohler from bray wheelers who won the 1st round of the Red Bull Road Rage series on La Redoute in belgium today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

emtroche wrote: »
    On the subject of descending -

Congrats to Janos Kohler from bray wheelers who won the 1st round of the Red Bull Road Rage series on La Redoute in belgium today!

Well Done Banapants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

+1
    Amazing he was even losing the camera bike on occasions he was so fast

it was so slick going around those hairpins - excellent stage today.

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Fell asleep at the top of the first climb, worth downloading?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

abcdggs wrote: »
    Fell asleep at the top of the first climb, worth downloading?

Yes

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Just watched the end on eurosport, definitely worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

From a few days ago...

Scarponi looks bunched.

PIC110521391.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

RobFowl wrote: »
    Turning into an epic race. Can see any of 10+ riders winning it and 2 weeks into a grand tour that hasn't happened for a while.....

Getting to the point where I prefer the Giro to the TDF

(Apart for the podium dopers, who seem to get caught in Italy :rolleyes:)

Really?Can't see anyone other than Nibali,Evans or Basso winning it.The likes of Wiggins and Sastre may have made up time last week, but I don't think they can stick with the others on the mountain top finishes.Might prove me wrong on the Zoncolan tomorrow but so far, they don't seem to be able to match the others in the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

titan18 wrote: »
    Really?Can't see anyone other than Nibali,Evans or Basso winning it.The likes of Wiggins and Sastre may have made up time last week, but I don't think they can stick with the others on the mountain top finishes.Might prove me wrong on the Zoncolan tomorrow but so far, they don't seem to be able to match the others in the mountains.
    Vinokourov, Scarponi, Arroyo. Gerdemann, Porte and Pinotti plus the five you have mentioned above equals 10+ :). I think RobFowl was just generalising and making the point that its great to see such an open Grande Tour

Great stage today, the descending (and its coverage) was some of the best I have seen for a while. It is a skill which some riders just never master. Many years back on one of our club spins I remember chatting to Lawrence Roche (Stephen's brother) about racing on the continent. On asking him what was the most difficult part of racing for him. Without hesitation he replied "the descents off the big mountains". Scared the bejazus out of him and he always struggled just to stay in contact.

Mind you his brother didn't have that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

titan18 wrote: »

have to agree,

i thought when Wiggins attacked yesterday, he was going to be a force, but alas,it was short lived

the Liguigas team where just mental yesterday, i reckon my Fiat Doblo van would have had a hard time keeping up with their pace yesterday, that was some seriously aggressive riding,

if they keep that crazy pace up threw the week, then i dont think anybody will keep with them

but im still hopefull that Sastre can do something,

fingers crossed anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i thought when Wiggins attacked yesterday, he was going to be a force, but alas,it was short lived

Obviously British Eurosport didn't consider that a highlight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

And now feckin Tennis and Motor Bikes on Brit ES & Brit ES2 this afternoon :mad:

Does anybody know if ES player has "normal" ES or mushy peas ES ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

blobbie wrote: »
    And now feckin Tennis and Motor Bikes on Brit ES & Brit ES2 this afternoon :mad:

Does anybody know if ES player has "normal" ES or mushy peas ES ??

There's good news and bad news, you can watch it on Video on Demand but it'll be without commentry and I'm unsure of times etc.... Checked the listings and nothing live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

It's live on the Eurosport Player and Europsort HD according to the Eurosport Twitter account

EurosportUKTV Stage 15 will still be live on Eurosport HD and those of you with the Eurosport Player (www.eurosportplayer.co.uk) can view the race online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

euro sport are seriously pissing me off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

jwshooter wrote: »
    euro sport are seriously pissing me off

aye, they give us a load of flat stages with full coverage and when the racing actually gets interesting [a mountain top finish] they pull the plug wtf :confused:
    shower of CNUTS! :mad:

motogp grrrr..:D :(:mad:

• Advertisement

I'm watching it via justin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Scant consolation I know but there is a highlights show on eurosport tonight.
    Is the Giro going to be bumped now that the french open is on?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Here's a feed with no commentary. A message popped up a while ago that there would be an english commentary feed in an hour at 16.00 CET

http://www.fromsport.com/video-247102.html

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Here's a feed with no commentary. A message popped up a while ago that there would be an english commentary feed in an hour at 16.00 CET

http://www.fromsport.com/video-247102.html

Its on now in English. Good quality too

drogdub wrote: »
    Its on now in English. Good quality too

Yep - just in time for the fun & games. Mind you my Italian was improving....

God, Planet Armstrong (well Planet Chechu these days :D )

FORZA DANIEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can they catch up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Thanks Cap could not see if it was him

Esroh wrote: »
    Thanks Cap could not see if it was him

LIVE TICKER

My boss is wondering why I'm getting jumpy doing "reports" :D

Pure brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

clean vs dirty evans v basso
    Dan martin great ride 3 31 down

• Advertisement

clean vs dirty evans v basso
    Dan martin great ride 3 31 down

+1 and +1
    delighted with Dan Martins result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

52 x 34 and up to 27tooth on the rear. Just shows how viscious Mont Zoncolan really is
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/05/road/gearing-for-monte-zoncolan_118163

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

look at the crowds on the hill side , u wil not get that at tennis .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Just watched a sweedish capture from Eurosport. Brutal!
    Fair play to Evans and Martin. Surprised to see Basso climbing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Bad week for exams ... giro, toc & roland garros ... eurosport is on constantly in the background!!!!!

love tennis but today's giro stage was far more exciting than the first day at a grand slam! Eurosport messed that one up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 colm ó maonaigh

Had to watch this stage online and it sure was some savage racing. I hate the way Eurosport give preference to tennis (and motorsports). Could there really be more tennis fans than cycling, given the crowds that have come out so far in Holland and Italy?
    Diarmuid, do you mind if I ask you if you are still living in France (wanted to pick your brain)?

Had to watch this stage online and it sure was some savage racing. I hate the way Eurosport give preference to tennis (and motorsports). Could there really be more tennis fans than cycling, given the crowds that have come out so far in Holland and Italy?
    Diarmuid, do you mind if I ask you if you are still living in France (wanted to pick your brain)?

To be fair, I have often seen cycling on when the schedule says they should be showing golf/swimming/touring cars/WRC or whatever. They just mess up the schedule equally for all sports it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Could there really be more tennis fans than cycling

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

I'd say eurosport make it up as they go along, it can literally change schedule as you press the info button on the remote. Definitely a bit too much motorsport though

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Liquigas had a great weekend. Basso seemed to really benefit from having fresher legs yesterday. He got an armchair ride for the last 40km of Saturday's stage. Evans is one of the few world champions in recent times who's really done the jersey justice. I was surprised to see Scarponi up there. I didn't think it was his kind of territory. For a while I thought he was working for Basso (they're great friends by all accounts), but given that he didn't lose too much time after he lost contact, maybe not. Great ride by Martin. He's been unlucky this past year but he showed again yesterday the potential he has.

It's been a great Giro so far and after so many good stages, it's surprising to see how many tough stages are left. Mountain TT on Tuesday. Mountain top finishes on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Anyone else think that this year's Giro is notable for it's lack of "extraterrestrial" performances? Everyone looks all too human this year, well apart from maybe one rider I'd be a bit suspicious about but who probably won't win. I'm not saying that means they're all doing it totally clean, but no one looks supercharged.

• Advertisement

+1 on Dan Martin. Epic performance on a beast of a climb.
    Evans must have ridden half of the climb out of the saddle :eek:. His energy expenditure compared to Basso, who sat in the saddle for most of the climb, was incredible.

TT will be exciting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

On lack of "xtraterrestrial perfs" there was something strangely hypnotic about how ugly and painful Evans actually looked in the last 4KM. Man he suffered, kept suffering and then suffered some more. It was brilliant to see. The jersey has imbued him with a belief or responsibility that he did not seem to have heretofore.

Also what about Sastre. Sometimes he just seems to be at a wits end and then pulls something out of the hat. Not sure does he have it, or is he holding a lot in reserve, or is he siomply not yet "match fit" so to speak.

I actually thought some of the fans were way too OTT. Whatever about giving the guys some support, they really should show some respect and give them a little more space.

Martin looked pretty comfortable. Hopefully he finishes well and has a shot of making the TDF team.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

You're watching british eurosport, that's the schedule for the uk and irl. It doesn't matter a hoot how many cycling fans there are in holland and italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

sy wrote: »
    Evans must have ridden half of the climb out of the saddle :eek:. His energy expenditure compared to Basso, who sat in the saddle for most of the climb, was incredible.

Evans does tend to haul the bike from side to side a lot anyway, but I think this might have something to do with it.
    With the gearing, all the serious guys rode 'compact' crank sets, usually a 34 in front from what saw. I had a bit of trouble with the large spacing between the gears. Not something that is usually a problem climbing. With yesterday's effort in the legs, I rode a big larger gear than preferred. Not the right way, but when it's the only way..... Second for me today.

Basso's cadence in the last kilometre was very high, I wonder what he was running, maybe the same 36x29 that Nibali's bike had...

I'd love to ride that mountain someday. Probably need a triple though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ROK ON wrote: »
    Also what about Sastre. Sometimes he just seems to be at a wits end and then pulls something out of the hat. Not sure does he have it, or is he holding a lot in reserve, or is he siomply not yet "match fit" so to speak.

He's always been a bit like that and the guys on Eurosport go on about it a fair bit. He often just doesn't seem to be able to go when the attacks start but kind of settles into it and climbs at his own pace and will often make up a lot of time. Works for him I guess and fair play. It takes a lot of willpower to get dropped and ride yourself back up into it time and again.
    niceonetom wrote: »

One of the McCrossans from Cycling.tv rode up it in 2007, the last year the Giro did it. Laurens Ten Dam rode it with him. The video is hilarious. If you thought Evans was suffering yesterday, he had nothing on this guy. He was dying. Ten Dam meanwhile was twiddling his way up, chatting away.

niceonetom wrote: »
    I would too but think I would need a motorbike!

Wonder has any boardsie ridden both the Anglirou and the Zoncolan?
    It would be nice to get a comparison in difficulty etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

el tonto wrote: »
    Evans is one of the few world champions in recent times who's really done the jersey justice.

+1.
    Have to hold my hand up and admit I'd little or time for Evans a couple of years ago (mainly based on his apparent droll personality) but he has won me over big time the last 2 years or so - particulary given the lack of decent domestiques (at BMC anyway)

I thought the likes of Flech Wallone, stage 7 to Montaclino and indeed the Zoncolan proved what he lacks in style he more than makes up in grit and determination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

What a ride by Dan Martin. That was unreal. He was crossing the line and not a word from Sean Kelly. what is it about this guy. Is he jealous or something?? He never mentions the Irish riders.Shame on him.

On a side note. Do people really believe Liquigas are a nice innocent team. Come on look at Pellozotti ?? Banned before the Giro. The whole team riding well?? and esp two riders??

Basso looked like the Basso of old and we all know thats a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

NickDrake wrote: »
    What a ride by Dan Martin. That was unreal. He was crossing the line and not a word from Sean Kelly. what is it about this guy. Is he jealous or something?? He never mentions the Irish riders.Shame on him.

He's usually beaten to it by Harmon, but I find they have plenty of time for Irish riders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

He's usually beaten to it by Harmon, but I find they have plenty of time for Irish riders.

Not a word from Kelly yesterday. Like it was a stunning ride from the Irish man and he didnt even acknowledge it

Advertisement