Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flinch

Options
  • 03-05-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

When out shooting im "suffering" from flinch. It isn't that I'm afraid of the recoil of the gun but i dont have the confidence to take the shoot incase of missing. How can i get out of that habit? is there any good ways of improvng my shot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Shotgun or rifle?

The confidence to take good shots comes from sound technique, part of which is dismissing flinch. So you're looking to constantly reassure yourself that if you do it right, you'll get the desired result. Of course, not flinching is part of doing it right.

I know with a rifle, what I'd do is at first dry-fire half a dozen times on a target, then load a live round, and go through the motions again, focusing on all the things I did while dry-firing, to make a good shot. Then, assuming the shot has been good (and it should have been), I'd dry-fire another half dozen times, just to check whether the shot has rattled me (and it shouldn't have, as I was focusing on technique rather than questioning myself). So for every round you fire, you've practised firing the rifle a dozen times to reinforce the component parts of good technique. Therefore, if you fire off one box of ammo, you've effectively practised firing the rifle two hundred and sixty times. That kind of practice will really stand to you. With a shotgun, I'd suggest getting checked for fit to make sure the gun isn't rattling you (I know you don't think the recoil is affecting your thought processes, but it would be part of the confidence aspect), then spending a lot of time on clay targets, as difficult a you can make them, and way above what you expect to be shooting in the field in terms of difficulty. Hitting those consistently will do no end of good to your confidence. Fundamentally, you've a good attitude in that you're reluctant to shoot if you're not confident, because nobody likes wounding game, so a few lessons and some practice will see your confidence issues dispelled and, no doubt, a lot of good clean shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

Shotgun or rifle?

With a shotgun, I'd suggest getting checked for fit to make sure the gun isn't rattling you (I know you don't think the recoil is affecting your thought processes, but it would be part of the confidence aspect), then spending a lot of time on clay targets, as difficult a you can make them, and way above what you expect to be shooting in the field in terms of difficulty. Hitting those consistently will do no end of good to your confidence. Fundamentally, you've a good attitude in that you're reluctant to shoot if you're not confident, because nobody likes wounding game, so a few lessons and some practice will see your confidence issues dispelled and, no doubt, a lot of good clean shooting.

would you suggest in doing the dry firing at a few clays like the way you'd do it with the rifle? I know what has dented my confidence, it's the fact that every time i go out i miss a few running rabbits then the friends take the piss out of me abut missing them so now I'm like no wait its too far away when its actually only about 20/25 yards away. or iI say that it'l be away by the time i get the gun up so there'd be no point in shooting

thanks for the advice man ;) I'm going out shooting later on hopefully so I'll let ye know how i get on

EastTyrone wrote: »
    would you suggest in doing the dry firing at a few clays like the way you'd do it with the rifle? I know what has dented my confidence, it's the fact that every time i go out i miss a few running rabbits then the friends take the piss out of me abut missing them so now I'm like no wait its too far away when its actually only about 20/25 yards away. or iI say that it'l be away by the time i get the gun up so there'd be no point in shooting

thanks for the advice man ;) I'm going out shooting later on hopefully so I'll let ye know how i get on

Dry-firing on clays will be of limited use. It'll let you get the feel of sight pictures and following targets through, but if you don't shoot at them, you can't tell whether your judgement of leads, speeds and angles is correct. If you are out later. Put up an empty gun on the first couple of rabbits and just focus on keeping the gun trained where it needs to be and swinging through properly and cleanly. Then load up and try knock a few rabbits. Focusing on clean swings, good sight pictures and good follow-through will kill everything you point at.

Oh, and meant to say this earlier, but whenever you make a step up from your familiar recoil levels, be prepared to do this, a lot. Even though I'd shot a lot of centrefires, and some plenty heavier than my .25-06, when I got it, I still had to adjust to it, and it took me a few sessions of doing as I've said. Conversely, a while back I was shooting a shotgun with game type loads, probably 32g or 34g, and after a while, I switched to 28g trap loads, and instantly I noticed that I wasn't being as clean with the trigger as I wanted to be; I'd been snapping at it, and that took a while to drill out. It was easier both to see and correct with the lighter loads. So if I were shooting something really big, I'd have two levels below it I would be working with simultaneously and working up to it with. If I had a .375H&H Mag, I'd have my .25-06 and a .300 Win Mag along as well, working up through five rounds out of the .25, then a few out of the .300, then one out of the .375, and back to the start. All the while, I'd be checking to make sure I wasn't flinching, and I'd be dry-firing each a few times for every shot I took, to reinforce technique. Recoil is just something that happens to you. The only thing you can do to avoid it is not take the shot, so you might as well ignore it and get on with things, because the alternative is no fun. :)

thanks alot man, I didnt get out shooting today but when ever i do i'll put that in practice and hopfully there'l be some succes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

thanks alot man, I didnt get out shooting today but when ever i do i'll put that in practice and hopfully there'l be some succes ;)

hi ,
    (1)what gun are you using ,what pad is on it .
    (2)what size are you ,
    (3) what shell do you use ,
    (4)what jacket do you use ,
    (5) what ear protection do you use .
    (6)what discipline do you shoot
    (7)what your adverage shell comsumption per pratice session .
    (8)if you shoot trap to you shoot bits .

jwshooter wrote: »
    hi ,
    (1)what gun are you using ,what pad is on it .
    (2)what size are you ,
    (3) what shell do you use ,
    (4)what jacket do you use ,
    (5) what ear protection do you use .
    (6)what discipline do you shoot
    (7)what your adverage shell comsumption per pratice session .
    (8)if you shoot trap to you shoot bits .

1 it's a baikal o/u stangard pad
    2 a bout 5' 10" and 11 stone

and take it the rest is to do with clays?

1 it's a baikal o/u stangard pad
    2 a bout 5' 10" and 11 stone

and take it the rest is to do with clays?

i had one ET , my second shotgun ever.i had to get a pad on it .bbxxxxd gun used to kill me .

get a kickease pad fitted ,honest you will get worst if not .

do you wear ear protection

i had one ET , my second shotgun ever.i had to get a pad on it .bbxxxxd gun used to kill me .

get a kickease pad fitted ,honest you will get worst if not .

do you wear ear protection
    what was wrong with your pad? atm ive nothing wrong with my pad, like i dont feel the recoil near atall and i dont wear ear muffs either

i dont wear ear muffs either

There's your problem. Noise is way, way more influential in developing a flinch than recoil for most people, since very few people shoot anything that kicks seriously hard.

• Advertisement

There's your problem. Noise is way, way more influential in developing a flinch than recoil for most people, since very few people shoot anything that kicks seriously hard.
    so what your saying is im afraid of the bang? I dont think i am unless its sub conscious cause i dont close my eyes after the shot. How would i be able to wear the protection then? i think it might make sense because with an airrifle or silenced rifle i can hit anything.

I'm also thinking that gun mounting can make a difference too?

so what your saying is im afraid of the bang? I dont think i am unless its sub conscious cause i dont close my eyes after the shot. How would i be able to wear the protection then? i think it might make sense because with an airrifle or silenced rifle i can hit anything.

I'm also thinking that gun mounting can make a difference too?

Gun mount does make a difference alright, but I'd say you're flinching, personally.

It's like this. I'm sitting here working away, and earlier, the father was doing some drilling on marble outside the door. Now, I knew he was drilling, but if he stopped for a moment and then started again, I tensed, because of the noise. It was a "fook that's loud!" response, even though I knew it was coming, because I knew he'd be at it a while. So even though you know the bang is coming, when it does, you're still going "fook!" inwardly. Active ear protection is the answer, but it's expensive and not everyone can wear it as I recall. You'll definitely need to do a lot of practice though - shooting a shotgun is not the same as a rifle and if you try to aim a shotgun like a rifle you'll miss damn near everything. Practise with ear defenders on, and try represent the targets you'll shoot at. For rabbits, have the clay bounce along the ground at high speed along a bank. Remember to swing the shotgun and keep focused on the target. Wear ear defenders anytime you can at all, and just be clean with your movements and the flinch should go away.

Gun mount does make a difference alright, but I'd say you're flinching, personally.

It's like this. I'm sitting here working away, and earlier, the father was doing some drilling on marble outside the door. Now, I knew he was drilling, but if he stopped for a moment and then started again, I tensed, because of the noise. It was a "fook that's loud!" response, even though I knew it was coming, because I knew he'd be at it a while. So even though you know the bang is coming, when it does, you're still going "fook!" inwardly. Active ear protection is the answer, but it's expensive and not everyone can wear it as I recall. You'll definitely need to do a lot of practice though - shooting a shotgun is not the same as a rifle and if you try to aim a shotgun like a rifle you'll miss damn near everything. Practise with ear defenders on, and try represent the targets you'll shoot at. For rabbits, have the clay bounce along the ground at high speed along a bank. Remember to swing the shotgun and keep focused on the target. Wear ear defenders anytime you can at all, and just be clean with your movements and the flinch should go away.
    ive seen people wearn ear protection where it goes into their ear but not up over their head, abit like ear plugs would they work?

how could i improve gunmount? The sound realy seems to be a good reason for the flinch

ive seen people wearn ear protection where it goes into their ear but not up over their head, abit like ear plugs would they work?

how could i improve gunmount? The sound realy seems to be a good reason for the flinch

Any hearing protection will be beneficial, but the best thing for practice sessions is a pair of proper over-ear defenders, or muffs.

To be honest, I'm a very occasional shotgun shooter (don't even own one) so I won't attempt to try and teach you how to mount a gun.

most common reason for a flinch ,not wearing ear protection .

i shot deer for years with out ,i started to flinch .now i have custom plugs and or a mod .

when i shoot trap plugs and muffs . your one dumb sob not to wear them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

most common reason for a flinch ,not wearing ear protection .

i shot deer for years with out ,i started to flinch .now i have custom plugs and or a mod .

when i shoot trap plugs and muffs . your one dumb sob not to wear them .

I agree, Shoot a lot with a mod and it has improved my shooting. I also have reactive muffs which improve low level dB's but block out over 60dB's

The .308 has no sound with them on hence no flinching

and would youse say it defo has improved you shooting?

Any hearing protection will be beneficial, but the best thing for practice sessions is a pair of proper over-ear defenders, or muffs.

To be honest, I'm a very occasional shotgun shooter (don't even own one) so I won't attempt to try and teach you how to mount a gun.
    ok thanks alot for the advice iwm!!! hopfully it will help my shooting and success rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

and would youse say it defo has improved you shooting?

If you mean a mod, Yes I hit more bunnies these days with than without as the second 3rd and forth bunny are in quick succession without the flinching

Advertisement