Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

• 03-05-2010 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Basically i wanted to ask about how i would go about becoming a psychotherapist. I am a qualified Electrician but that isn't worth the paper it is printed on due to the current economic climate. It's nearly impossible to get a job in the construction sector and things don't seem to be getting better anytime soon.

I am 24, is it possible for me to go back to college as a mature student and do a psychotheraphy course? Will they even contemplate taking me in considering the only qualification i hold is a completed apprenticeship? I did finish the Leaving cert btw.

I had always planned to return to college, i just wasn't sure what to study. Now i know what i want, and the recession has left me with no choice but to up-skill.

Wonderwall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi Wonderwall, if you do a search of this forum, you'll find quite a few threads on 'how to become a counsellor/psychotherapist'.
    Best wishes
    JC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sadie9

I'd highly recommend you do a Foundation Course first, before paying a lot of money to discover that it's not for you.
    There are loads of Foundation Courses around. There are even some intensive ones that run in the summer time. (See PCI College, NUI Maynooth, etc for details).

Even having spent the 3/4 years training, from what I gather it's a scrappy enough occupation at the start.
    I'd also recommend you talk to a few counsellors and get their viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

Thank you JC. I probably should have searched the forum first. Apologies.

Sadie9, perhaps you're right. A Foundation course to discern whether i am truly interested is the best thing to do. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Wonderwall

Advertisement