Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with integration question

Options
  • 03-05-2010 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hey im trying to redo my mock deb paper 1 i think! im stuck on how to integrate the following problem: 1/*sqrt 8-x^2
    it was b)ii) on Q8.
    any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Do you mean it looks like this?
    [latex]\displaystyle \int_0^1{\frac{1}{8 - x^2}}\,dx[/latex]

In that case, isn't that just one of those ones where you go to the tables (I don't have them handy, so I'm not sure if it is)?

Possibly, you would do something like this. Factor out a minus from the bottom, to get
    [latex]\displaystyle -\int_0^1{\frac{1}{x^2 - 8}}\,dx[/latex]

and rewrite as

[latex]\displaystyle -\int_0^1{\frac{1}{x^2 - (\sqrt{8})^2}}\,dx[/latex]

Go to your tables, and there should be some standard integral that looks like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Actually, there is no need to factor out the minus, there is a formula in the tables that looks like this:

[latex]\displaystyle \int{\frac{1}{a^2 - x^2}} = \frac{1}{2a}\ln|\frac{a+x}{a-x}|[/latex]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I suspect, (for no obvious reason,) that the OP might have meant
    [latex]\displaystyle \int{\frac{1}{\sqrt{8 - x^2}}} [/latex]

If so, there's another formula in the tables that does the trick, giving
    [latex]\displaystyle \sin^{-1}{\frac{x}{\sqrt{8}}} [/latex]

I suspect, (for no obvious reason,) that the OP might have meant
    [latex]\displaystyle \int{\frac{1}{\sqrt{8 - x^2}}} [/latex]

If so, there's another formula in the tables that does the trick, giving
    [latex]\displaystyle \sin^{-1}{\frac{x}{\sqrt{8}}} [/latex]

Ah yea, I missed that!

Sorry for the confusion :o

Advertisement