Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a tax return

Options
  • 03-05-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. Should I claim back my tax to date in July or do I wait until I leave the country to claim it all back. I'm on a whv and have been here only a few months so should get most or nearly all of it back as far as I know?

Also, has anyone heard of a living away from home allowance? Apparently there is something like that I can claim. Is there anything else I should claim/ know about and should I go through a tax adviser for this?

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

paidi09 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can help me out. Should I claim back my tax to date in July or do I wait until I leave the country to claim it all back. I'm on a whv and have been here only a few months so should get most or nearly all of it back as far as I know?

Also, has anyone heard of a living away from home allowance? Apparently there is something like that I can claim. Is there anything else I should claim/ know about and should I go through a tax adviser for this?

Cheers for any help!

if you are staying there for the next tax year then do it as soon as etax is available. if you are part year resident for tax purposes (i.e. live and work in the same place for 6 months) and you did not work for all the time you were in the country then, yes you should get basically all of it back

You can only claim LAFHA if you're employer is set up for it which it doesnt sound like they are (because if they were you would already be receiving it) and you get paid as part of your wages i.e. its a pre tax deducation that gets added back in and you cannot claim it as part of your tax return...

its still a bit of a grey area on a WHV - i had it myself for two years (and in effect brought my overall tax rate to less than 2%) but i met the criteria exactly, although if it had been audited the company would have been liable to the tax office but I would have been liable to the company (had to sign a waiver)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Folks, can anyone tell me what way you would claim back tax if you are working for a number of different employers. Is it a case of going through paperwork for each employer?? I work a day here and there with different employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Folks, can anyone tell me what way you would claim back tax if you are working for a number of different employers. Is it a case of going through paperwork for each employer?? I work a day here and there with different employers.

At the end of June each employer will issue you with a Group Cert which is a summary of your pay and tax.

You just add all employer and Group Certs into your single tax return

Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    You can only claim LAFHA if you're employer is set up for it which it doesnt sound like they are (because if they were you would already be receiving it) and you get paid as part of your wages i.e. its a pre tax deducation that gets added back in and you cannot claim it as part of your tax return...

This is not the case as far as I know. I was paying regular tax then went to them and told them I wanted to claim LAFHA...I set myself up with an Agency who do it and then that was it..done and done!

Tell them you want to claim LAFHA and you have an agency you want to get paid through unless they can facilitate that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Diddler82 wrote: »
    This is not the case as far as I know. I was paying regular tax then went to them and told them I wanted to claim LAFHA...I set myself up with an Agency who do it and then that was it..done and done!

Tell them you want to claim LAFHA and you have an agency you want to get paid through unless they can facilitate that for you.

sorry you are correct i should have stated
    You can only claim LAFHA if you're employer is set up for it or alternatively go through a separate payroll company - basically whoever the final person to pay your wages must be set up for it be that direct from an employer, a recruitment agency or a payroll company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

Thanks for that everyone. I must look into it though in my situation it may be more hassle than it's worth. I am a bit like tigerandahalf doing short term work with different employers so I've probably missed the boat for the jobs I've worked already. How much is it worth roughly?

Advertisement