Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus use in summer?

Options
  • 03-05-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I was just wondering does anyone know what the campus is used for in the summer, if at all? And are the residencies used?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Ajfunky wrote: »
    I was just wondering does anyone know what the campus is used for in the summer, if at all? And are the residencies used?

Yes because nobody works there and does research...:rolleyes:

Yes, the college isn't like 'school', the buildings are still used. It's much like what it is on a saturday, that's if you've ever been in college on a saturday (very quiet). The residencies are primarily used by english language students from Embassy CES etc... along with some class rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

^^ don't forget all the Masters and PhD students living in the residences. Last year those language students almost drove me insane with their weird clapping games at 3am!

OP I still have classes in the summer and I'd imagine a fair few other students around do as well. Summer modules are no fun...UCD sucks without as many hot undergrads around. Poor me...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I thought the residences were used to accomodate Italian and Spanish students looking to learn English? You know, the "loud people"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

^^ don't forget all the Masters and PhD students living in the residences. Last year those language students almost drove me insane with their weird clapping games at 3am!

OP I still have classes in the summer and I'd imagine a fair few other students around do as well. Summer modules are no fun...UCD sucks without as many hot undergrads around. Poor me...:D

Those aren't the only games they play at 3am...;)
    You think that's bad, I was one of those activity leaders (people shouting in five different languages, wearing bright orange t-shirts) and had to put up with that racket for two months. :eek: Did at QMUL, Mile End, London which was good because I was a tourist as well!

I also worked in NUI Maynooth last Summer as a researcher, God ya really do miss the little 'riodes' going around the place!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

The Agogo wrote: »
    I thought the residences were used to accomodate Italian and Spanish students looking to learn English? You know, the "loud people"

You're right there. Language student, PHD's and students whose parents only want to see them 2 weeks of the year.

That said there's f*ck all to do during the summer. I worked in the Centra in merville for 2 weeks after the summer exams and the place was DEAD!

• Advertisement

You're right there. Language student, PHD's and students whose parents only want to see them 2 weeks of the year.

That said there's f*ck all to do during the summer. I worked in the Centra in merville for 2 weeks after the summer exams and the place was DEAD!

Anybody can live in the residences during the summer if you apply. Houses 6-10 in Glenomena was mainly masters students last summer.

El Siglo wrote: »
    Those aren't the only games they play at 3am...;)
    You think that's bad, I was one of those activity leaders (people shouting in five different languages, wearing bright orange t-shirts) and had to put up with that racket for two months. :eek: Did at QMUL, Mile End, London which was good because I was a tourist as well!

I also worked in NUI Maynooth last Summer as a researcher, God ya really do miss the little 'riodes' going around the place!:D

I hear the Italians love a game of hide the salami around that time :D

Summer in the JJ library is just not the same alright without the "little riodes" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

I knew people still had classes, and obviously masters and phd students were studying, is this all done in one building or is it still spread across campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I knew people still had classes, and obviously masters and phd students were studying, is this all done in one building or is it still spread across campus?
    Try to think of it like a big company. In the summer, do all the different departments in a company; marketing, sales, IT, etc. move away from their normal area to a shared area?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Well no, but surely depending on the amount of classes going on they could be held in one or two buildings. It differs a little bit from a business because the only essential materials for most lecturers are seats and a projector, whereas different departments of a business have different facilities, workdesks with all your own files etc. I know UCD isnt the most efficient of places, but i thought this woulda been how they run the college in the summer.

But again im not just writing this as a "judge UCD's efficiency" thread, i was seeing where would normally be free in the summer to go about asking for some rooms for different uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Well no, but surely depending on the amount of classes going on they could be held in one or two buildings. It differs a little bit from a business because the only essential materials for most lecturers are seats and a projector, whereas different departments of a business have different facilities, workdesks with all your own files etc. I know UCD isnt the most efficient of places, but i thought this woulda been how they run the college in the summer.

But again im not just writing this as a "judge UCD's efficiency" thread, i was seeing where would normally be free in the summer to go about asking for some rooms for different uses.
    You know lecturers have their own desks and offices right?
    Obviously the lecture theatres themselves are used much less frequently in the summer.
    You'd be best off contacting someone in UCD to see about using them. I'd say it will depend greatly on what your intended purpose is.

It would actually be impossible for that to happen. As is said above, they all have their own offices, labs etc that are in different buildings for a good reason.

Anyway just call services if it is a free room you are looking for. You mentioned student accommodation above so contact the accommodation office about that too.

Advertisement