Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics HL derivations??

Options
  • 03-05-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how many derivations/relationships are on the higher level course and what they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

bump....please anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Take a look at the summary at the end of every chapter. If there any derivations you have to know, they'll be listed. All derivations in the book are to be learned for HL.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

gant0 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how many derivations/relationships are on the higher level course and what they are?

good q, i was gonna ask. i heard these could be quite likely, what with the log tables covering like 60% of the exam:p

If i head to guess id say 4 or 5, i think we have to know all the ones in the book??

I hate them sooo much though:mad:

EDIT: ummtea has it covered above, bad news though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

stainluss wrote: »

EDIT: ummtea has it covered above, bad news though :(

It gets worse, the end of chapter summary doesn't mention some derivations that have been asked before. e.g.

1. (Refractive Index Between Two Media) aNg = 1/gNa

2. (Refractive Index With Critical Angle) n= 1/SinC

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I heard there's like 11 that can come up but I just ahve no idea what they all are...I know a few like newtons 2nd law,period of orbit,linear and angular velocity but I just want to make sure I don't leave any out becaue I'm guessing there's gonna be a few on this year due to the log tables.I know one or two are off cause they came up last year.......looks like I'll just have to do some research through past papers and see what has come up.I'll post them later.

Just found this.Someone posted it a while ago.

v = u + at

s = ut + 0.5at^2

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

F = ma

v= wr

T^2 = (4.pi^2.r^3)/GM

n.lambda = dsinO

R = R_1 + R_2 (resistors in series)

1/R = 1/R_1 + 1/R_2 (resistors in parallel)

F = qvB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

gant0 wrote: »

This is a link to the Physics syllabus. Check it out from page 56 on the PDF file, actually page 52 of the syllabus.

Note, there are no derivations required at Ordinary Level.

All the required equations are listed here and the derivations are marked with a 'sword' symbol. Look out for the symbol on both sides of the page - some are beside the equations and some are beside the name of the quantity.

I haven't counted them, but there aren't that many - at least not near as many as there used to be!

It could be useful to print out the equations and use them for revision.

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/uploadedfiles/PDF/lc_physics_sy.pdf

Advertisement