Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Rodwell

• 03-05-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Having watched him a lot over the past two seasons he keeps taking me by surprise. When he first started playing in the side at the beginning of last season Moyes kept saying how he saw him as a Rio Ferdinand type player. This season he's bagged himself a few goals and has oozed class in some games but never playing in defence.

It seems to me like he's developing more like a Steven Gerrard than a Rio Ferdinand but I've no doubt in my mind that he'll be an England regular in a few years time.

What's yisser thoughts on him and what kind of player do you see him becoming?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Voltwad wrote: »
    Having watched him a lot over the past two seasons he keeps taking me by surprise. When he first started playing in the side at the beginning of last season Moyes kept saying how he saw him as a Rio Ferdinand type player. This season he's bagged himself a few goals and has oozed class in some games but never playing in defence.

It seems to me like he's developing more like a Steven Gerrard than a Rio Ferdinand but I've no doubt in my mind that he'll be an England regular in a few years time.

What's yisser thoughts on him and what kind of player do you see him becoming?

A Man Utd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's hard to know at this stage, but his versatility could be his downfall in terms of development. He needs a run of games in a specific role, I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He don't see him as a high energy type player like Gerrard.
    I see him becoming a very calming influence in a team , the type of player to run a game, that's if he reaches the potetntial he seems capable of.
    I can't think of a comparison right now, at least not an English one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

There was a lot of talk about him being a CB or defensive midfielder but I'd see him more as the box-to-box sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Frisbee wrote: »
    There was a lot of talk about him being a CB or defensive midfielder but I'd see him more as the box-to-box sort.

Perhaps a Flamini type player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

monkey9 wrote: »
    A Man Utd one.
    Contrary to a lot of United fans' beliefs it's not their god given right to sign anyone nor is it the destiny of every talented player to end up at Old Trafford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Contrary to a lot of United fans' beliefs it's not their god given right to sign anyone nor is it the destiny of every talented player to end up at Old Trafford.

Monkey9 supports Liverpool, so I learned yesterday.:D

I do think he'll end up at United, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'd be pretty sure he's gonna end up at United also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No, but many players want to go to a successful club, and we have the money to spend and have a team to rebuild :) We have the reputation, the ambition, a great manager. We have a great bunch of players he could get along with. The young, talented Rooney, the reliable Fletcher and Vidic aswell as the experience of Giggs and Scholes who would be invaluable teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Perhaps a Flamini type player?

Something like that -ish.

But I think Rodwell offers more going forward while still having the same energy as Flamini has. More like an Essein style player, loads of energy, has a goal in him but won't be one to shirk his defensive responsibilities.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Something like that -ish.

But I think Rodwell offers more going forward while still having the same energy as Flamini has. More like an Essein style player, loads of energy, has a goal in him but won't be one to shirk his defensive responsibilities.
    You just described Lucas! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

IvySlayer wrote: »
    No, but many players want to go to a successful club, and we have the money to spend and have a team to rebuild :) We have the reputation, the ambition, a great manager. We have a great bunch of players he could get along with. The young, talented Rooney, the reliable Fletcher and Vidic aswell as the experience of Giggs and Scholes who would be invaluable teachers.
    Seriously though don't think Moyes will let him go lightly, in my opinion he has it in him to be better than Rooney. He is complete, passionate and seems to have a clever head on him. Lets hope this evertonian will stay were his loyalties lie.

am i the only one who thinks the hype doesn't quite match up to what we've seen from this fella yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Seriously though don't think Moyes will let him go lightly, in my opinion he has it in him to be better than Rooney. He is complete, passionate and seems to have a clever head on him. Lets hope this evertonian will stay were his loyalties lie.

How can you complare a CB/defensive midfielder to a striker?:confused:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    am i the only one who thinks the hype doesn't quite match up to what we've seen from this fella yet?

You just described Lucas :p

I like what I've seen he's very young but i do think he has it in him to be a really good player

lol, don't get me wrong, looks like the makings of a very good player in the making, just don't get how hyped he is and the 20 million plus price tag thats always quoted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He has composure and assurance on the ball, excellent technical skills coupled with his physical presence. His goal against United was his real stand out moment, his other appearances have been relatively low key but have shown his maturity for his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Too much of a poser for my liking!

Jack%20Rodwell%20posing.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

You just described Lucas :p

I like what I've seen he's very young but i do think he has it in him to be a really good player

no, he is young and hugely composed on the ball and has a lot of talent and he will surpass your stevie yet in the england kit., who it has to be said has vastly underperformed at international level.

but, breaking news in is that jack has signed for Man U...

can we move on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lol, don't get me wrong, looks like the makings of a very good player in the making, just don't get how hyped he is and the 20 million plus price tag thats always quoted for him.

I'm actually agreeing with Alan :eek: Good young player with potential, but the hype is insane, he's not the only promising youngster afterall.

• Advertisement

no, he is young and hugely composed on the ball and has a lot of talent and he will surpass your stevie yet in the england kit., who it has to be said has vastly underperformed at international level.

but, breaking news in is that jack has signed for Man U...

can we move on now
    I don't support Liverpool I actually think he will be a class player and was refering to not understanding the hype around Lucas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

if berb cost 3000 gadzillion and is as much use as a wheelbarrow for 60% of the season , then Jack is easily worth 20million.

This is the age of the billion dollar players and sheiks started it.

Advertisement