Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forest Rehab centre Wicklow

• 03-05-2010 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Anyone been or have any opinions on the success of this treatment centre?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

Anyone else smell Advert here?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

First time I hear off this place may look it up some time but if its another 1k a week place it well not be going in my little black book. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

looks like more than a k a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GigginGal

No adverting intented, just lookin for advise, sorry for askin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

I heard it very expensive and not very good at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

VHI doesnt fully cover it either i heard. Better off heading to SJOG or StPats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

The Rutland centre is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NOELER

GigglinGal; most health insurance policies cover Forest, and most plans do also. I think it's 17k without health insurance for a 3 week stay. I can't say "how good " it is, but their audit I read about says they have 60% addiction absitnence success rate and 95% of people felt it was a positive change for them.
    As regards the other users comments on the other R centre bieng 'good'
    ', I would avoid that place like the plague. All they have is an old reputation and their outdated, ineffective minnesota model of beating everyone to a pulp mentally. Even one of their psychologists told me she felt unethecial there and left the place despite the 'prestige' of the place, allegedly. A relative was in there for 6 stints of 6 weeks treatment and only got worse and more destructive and mad after each time in the place.
    I know the other 2 hospitals mentioned, if you want to label yourself with a psychiatric problem, I'm sure they would be delighted to accomodate you. Addiction is not a disease,. I'm not saying the place in wicklow is any good, but I know the others are no good if addiction is your problem. If you have a psychiatric illness, then you should seek psychiatric help.
    If you have a behavioural problem, e.g. taking/mis-using substances, then you ought to try proven psychological approaches, rahter than medicalising yourself in a minnesota model centre, or in a pysch hospital. Just because these minnesota places have the medical crew in their pockets, and the insurance companies will mostly only pay for these types of places, that doesn't mean they work best.
    Whatever your problem is, try a search using whatever your problem is and adding "evidence based" or "cochrane collaboration" to get the best practice approach to your problems. Best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sobervillage

Hi

Did you go to rehab? there are loads of great rehab centres out there.

Yes we are a rehab centre but thats not a plug as we are in spain. But some advice I can give, is go to one that does the 12 step program. Call them and get a gut feeling. Theres various places ie family run rehab centres and theres the more clinical rehab centres.

You dont need to pay a fortune to attend rehab so dont think higher the price then better the service, thats not true.

You find the higher priced rehab centres aren't directing their attention on just your addiction but also other areas as well so they'll have counselors, a psychologist, a psychiatrist prehaps some hypnosios going on also.

The smaller family run centres as usually people that are in recovery theirselves that can give their own exp and a complete understanding to your addction. They usually use the 12 steps and so when you go home you are able to then carry on going to AA meetings with a good understanding of the 12 steps.

The choice is on the individual

Clare

Advertisement