Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is doing This?

Options
  • 03-05-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0503/poisoning.html

Ireland
    Protected birds killed by poison
    Monday, 3 May 2010 14:53
    In what has been described as the worst spate of poisoning in recent years here, 10 protected birds of prey have been confirmed poisoned.

The birds, which were found over the past few weeks around the country, include three Red Kites, two white-tailed eagles, a golden eagle, three buzzards and a peregrine falcon.

Toxicology tests confirmed that some of the birds were poisoned by ingesting meat baits laced with alphachloralose, while others were poisoned by carbofuran, a substance previously used as a pesticide but now illegal in Ireland.

AdvertisementThe two red kites and a peregrine were found dead in Co Wicklow, a third red kite released in Northern Ireland was found dead in Co Kildare, a golden eagle in Co Leitrim, and buzzards in west Waterford, east Cork and Donegal (one of which recovered from poisoning).

Within the last few weeks two white-tailed eagles were found dead near Beaufort, Co Kerry.

A male white-tailed eagle released in Killarney National Park in 2008 was found in the River Laune near Beaufort by Stewart Stephens, Laune Angling Club, on 4 April and recovered the following day.

A second male white-tailed eagle, released in 2007 was found on land in Beaufort on 12 April. Both eagles were in excellent condition and had been surviving well in the wild for 2-3 years until poisoned.

An investigation is ongoing by the Department of Agriculture and gardaí in Killarney.

'The loss of a further two white-tailed eagles at this time is devastating,' said Dr Allan Mee, Manager of the White-tailed Eagle Reintroduction Project in Kerry.

'The older male could have been one of the first birds to breed in the wild in Ireland in over 100 years had it survived. Indiscriminate poisoning is literally killing our chances of re-establishing a population here,' he added.

The deaths of these birds brings to 13 the total number of white-tailed eagles found dead, seven of which have now been confirmed poisoned, all in Co Kerry.

55 birds have been released in the county since 2007.

printable version
    share this

Story from RTÉ News:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0503/poisoning.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think it's safe to say that the deeds are being carried out by inbreds.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Is this something to do with farmers being afraid that the eagles will steal their lambs?
    Or maybe someone just really hates eagles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

As far as I know they use the point of the poison is to kill rats, foxes, crows and the like. They just don't care if something else eats it to.

oeb wrote: »
    As far as I know they use the point of the poison is to kill rats, foxes, crows and the like. They just don't care if something else eats it to.
    Hard to do anything so?

Hard to do anything so?

The kind of poisoning that's happening (Leaving a dead or aborted lamb on the fields, laced with a little something extra) is illegal.

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    The kind of poisoning that's happening (Leaving a dead or aborted lamb on the fields, laced with a little something extra) is illegal.
    Ah,i did not know this. Thank you.
    Its horrible that such great birds are getting killed through no fault of their own.

Ah,i did not know this. Thank you.
    Its horrible that such great birds are getting killed through no fault of their own.

I know, all because the farmer want's to save a few quid and not hire someone to come in and shoot the vermin on his land (Or do it himself).

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

hope they catch who ever it is and jail them.... will be hard though as the poisioned carcass could be anywhere on the mountains.... foookers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i wont hold my breath, it would involve the Gardaí enforcing existing legislation :rolleyes:

dmeehan wrote: »
    i wont hold my breath, it would involve the Gardaí enforcing existing legislation :rolleyes:

They should reintroduce bears and wolves to enforce the legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

its basically the same mentality that had stupid farmers protesting the gas line up west
    they are under educated and their low iq's means they are easily influenced

this is a crime of the highest magnitude and the perpetrators should be punished accordingly

I see that the fuckin simpleton inbred bastards are at it again:mad:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1222/breaking37.html

Another sea eagle found poisoned

A white-tailed sea eagle released into the Killarney National Park this summer as part of an ambitious five year re-introduction programme from Norway has been found to have been poisoned earlier this month in sheep country near Glencar in the foothills of the Macgillycuddy’s Reeks.
    The sheep farming area of the Reeks - which extends west of Killarney and includes the River Laune and Beaufort area - is notoriously dangerous for the eagles. The latest poisoning casualty is the ninth since 2007. Another eagle was shot in the area.
    The poisoning is despite strict legislation banning poisoned bait to control foxes introduced in October after an outcry by conservation groups and representatives of Norway over the spate of poisonings here.
    Last May, the Norwegian Ambassador to Ireland Öyvind Nordsletten expressed his outrage at the continued use of meat bait to poison animals and birds.
    The female, which was found on December 11th last, died from high concentrations of liver fluke drug, the State laboratory has found.
    This was probably from meat bait left out to poison foxes and grey crows, a practice that is now “unequivocally illegal and totally unacceptable” under recent legislation, those involved in the project said today.

Advertisement