Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History - B3

Options
  • 03-05-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I need a minimum of a B3 on history and to be honest I'm really really worried. I have a month to cover **** loads of work let alone revising... At this stage I'm ready to omit certain parts just to get my B3

I was thinking that I would not bother with sov and partition anymore because I have never really studied the book... And focussing on the 3 others...

I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm so annoyed with myself in not covering things I needed to wen I shyd have and have resulted to this... It's annoying me alot and I just want a b in history no more no less... If someone could give me a hand would be greatly appreciated I need advice on what's steps I should take to realistically reach my goals. I have completeeld dictatorship book and I'm doing the document contexualisation questions now...

Repeating really really sucks. Advice anyone ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siobhanher

What other sections are you doing?

Don't leave a topic out, you'll get more marks for attempting everything than doing good in only 3 of them.

If you really don't know sov & part then focus on the case studies, 1 will probably come up. Irish culture & Eucharistic congress is quite short and not hard to understand, altho I don't really like it because there's not much to write about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

How was your project? With a good project and attempts in all sections of the paper, you should be fine.

There are six weeks until the History paper, do not panic and throw a book away!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

What course do you need a B3 in history for? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

I know how you feel, I have always been good at history and done reasonably well...but this year is not working i got 31% in my mocks!:eek:
    I was really taken aback that i actually did that bad, everyone thought that too my teacher and parents were really upset, but know im hoping i do waaaaaayy better only starteed doing concrete stuff bout 2 weeks ago...but it made a huge change.
    It seems daunting but it can be done!

Im doing about 3 areas in depth of each topic thingy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Cover the usuals in S and P

Cumann na nGaedhael
    Reasons Sinn Fein won 1918
    Anglo Irish Relations

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Don't leave a topic out, you'll get more marks for attempting everything than doing good in only 3 of them.

If you really don't know sov & part then focus on the case studies, 1 will probably come up. Irish culture & Eucharistic congress is quite short and not hard to understand, altho I don't really like it because there's not much to write about.

Really? I have 4 A4 pages written on that and my writing is quite small.

I need a B3 because I'm going to Uni in the Uk and the course I'm doing requires at least 4 B's of any sort in HL. I got an A in art and English in my mocks so I really need to focus on history and French now...

I'm basically doing all the case studies now and the broader context. So I have 3 essays for sov and part really, n doing essay plans on the essays that only include the case study. So 6 backups I think?

My project is grand as far as I know, did it on the Finnish winter war...

Does anyone have an essay on consoladating democracy? That thing is so confusing...

And I notice how years tend to repeat the questions. To be sure, I'm doing two questions that come up often as well.

Someone plz tell me what to cover for USA and the wider world? All I have is Vietnam and the space race/ information technology!!!

I went to a seminar and an advising examiner stressed on the consensus alot... Just a tip for u guys make sure u prepare if because it is likely to come up she said and it's not even a hard essay!!!
    I know how you feel, I have always been good at history and done reasonably well...but this year is not working i got 31% in my mocks!

i got 42... :( I hate it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

If you're the most desperate person alive, you can get away with studying the Case Studies alone. It's crazy, but it can work if you know them in as much detail as humanly possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

ummtea wrote: »
    If you're the most desperate person alive, you can get away with studying the Case Studies alone. It's crazy, but it can work if you know them in as much detail as humanly possible...

I dont think I would do that for all of them but I would for sov and part. How often does tge case studies come up though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

fufureida wrote: »
    I dont think I would do that for all of them but I would for sov and part. How often does tge case studies come up though?

I wouldn't recommend doing this to be honest! There's usually a question on one of the case studies in each section, but they're generally too difficult to even bother attempting.

I really wouldn't recommend leaving out Sovereignty and Partition either, because you're automatically losing 20% of the available marks. OP, the thing you need to remember is that it's not actually necessary to study every single part of each topic. I've literally never heard of anyone studying the entire LC History course - it's just too big for learning everything to even be a possibility, unless you completely neglect your other subjects.

Thing is, the exam kind of takes this into account. You're only ever going to write on a fairly small fraction of the entire History course in the exam, due mainly to the layout of the exam, so a detailed knowledge of most of the course will net you more marks than a vague knowledge of the entire thing. You need to prioritise - study say 60-70% of the course well, and you should be fine - come back and learn more later if necessary. Study all the obvious sections, like the Easter Rising, the Rise of Sinn Fein, the War of Independence, the economic policy sections and so on from S&P, and feel free to leave out the dodgy chapters at the end of the book on culture and such. Obviously, the more sections you've studied, the safer you are, but no-one goes into the History exam knowing absolutely everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement