Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

400D as webcam

• 03-05-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to use the 400D as a webcam. There is a video out which I assume is for s-video. So I would then suppose I could use the s-video to record video, I assume this would work via s-video in.

What I would like to know is can I use the 400D as a webcam (capture video) via USB. If so is there an app? Are my s-video assumptions correct?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've not heard of a way to do this.

Since the camera doesnt record video, I doubt it would act as a webcam. Thats not to say there isnt some mad hack of a driver out there that will do it, but I wouldnt get your hopes up. The video out is for showing your pictures on a TV.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I still think its not going to happen but this might help you along your road...
    http://www.user-guides.co.uk/download/cannon/cannon400d/cannon-400d-webcam.html

Can anyone else let us know if anyone has heard of it being used as a webcam?

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

found that link myself... the cheeky bastards tried to charge me for it. downloaded the actual version of canon

ok... going through that manual it says 'Video Out allows TV screen review'. I assume that this is just for images. and as a result if there is no live view it wont record video?

Is there a hack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Does 400D has live view functionality?

Load the live view preview on your desktop, get a video capture software to record or transmit the video.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=25071096

Good luck n have fun.

MartMax wrote: »
    get a video capture software to record or transmit the video

It's probably worth pointing out that you'll use chunks of video quality when you do that, though (in my own experience with that kind of software, anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

MartMax wrote: »
    Does 400D has live view functionality?

Load the live view preview on your desktop, get a video capture software to record or transmit the video.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=25071096

Good luck n have fun.

That article is for the 40d. I'm pretty sure that its not going to be possible legitimately with the 400d (is there a hack). The live view function is only available in models with the DIGIC III and IV codecs. These are the models that came out after the 400D. The 450D etc

Advertisement