Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of use planning permission

Options
  • 03-05-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if I would be required to get planning permission for the change of use of a premises on the main street in my town. It is being rented as an office but I want to use it for a food business. It has shops on either side and oter food premises near by so it would not be anything really different in that area. If so, does this process take long and if so, do I have to be paying rent while this is being processed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

If I was you I would speak with the area planner and feel him/her out on the change of use. If there is no major objection from their side I would work away with changing the premises and lodge a retention application to retain the change of use. The only catch with that is it would entail higher planning application fees i.e 3 x standard fee, which isn't a big pill to swallow.

I've been involved with planning for over 10 years and whilst form the planners point of view is not the ideal way of doing it, i.e. the want you to have to wait for them to make a decision, it is done all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NKtile

Blackeidel.

Involved in very simlar at the moment . Change of use from retail to food. As is the way when has to pass through, estate agents, solicitors, councils, is a slow business, but trundling along. Generally you can apply for change of use , and 8 weeks after application council make a decision then is another 3 weeks for appeals by outside parties, public, local traders etc. So you are looking at 12 weeks in total. Need architects drawings to be submitted for the change of use.

Feel free to pm if you want anymore specifics.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

11 weeks in total! Thats rediculous... Surely to jaysus this could be done far quicker, especially now that they're obviously not as busy as beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

If you are planning a Takeaway it may take longer due to Resident/Litter/Garda objections.

If it is to a Convenience Shop 11 to 12 weeks will be the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Thanks for the above posts, I have been lucky enough to find another, much better, bigger premises in a better location for similar rent that has open use so I dont need to apply for a change. All I need now is the go ahead from the bank and It could all become a reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Does anyone know exactly what type of planning permission is needed, for change of use of a light industrial unit into a gym.

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Have you asked your local council?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marty3

Does anyone know exactly what type of planning permission is needed, for change of use of a light industrial unit into a gym.

Ta

Did you get an answer on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Unlikely. This thread was started 5 years ago!!!!

dbran

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement