Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Ghouls n Ghosts

• 03-05-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

I started playing this game a few days ago. I couldn't even beat the first level until my second day playing. It is the hardest game I've ever played! Seriously difficult. You have to memorise pretty much every party of each level, and gradually make your way through. It's insanely frustrating but really good fun. They just don't make games like this anymore. Every current gen game I've played eases the player into it. This throws you in the deep end. Whereas today there are an abundance of save points, and a play time of a mere few hours, I could be at this for weeks!

Have any of you guys played it and what do you think? What are the hardest games you've ever played?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've played it and beaten it. It's a fantastic game and the game before it Ghouls n'Ghosts is just as good. The only problem I have with the game is that the last few levels are a total pain because the Red Armourers are really difficult when you can't shoot up like in Gn'G. It's harsh but fair really, you just have to take your time with the game but it's doable.

I was actually playing the excellent GBA version of this game yesterday on the train back from Galway. All my friends were laughing at me swearing randomly during the trip!

Hmm... I'm not sure it's the hardest game ever but it's pretty high up, discounting any games that are just plain unfair. I found Contra Hard Corp to be more difficult and also had a lot of trouble with Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

According to wiki it has a cult following due to it's insane difficulty. It's so damn addictive. Just when I feel like giving up I beat a certain part, or reach the level half way point and I'm hooked again. My favourite weapon is the crossbow, you know the one which shoots straight and diagonally. That or the molatov cocktail.

Here's a video of a guy doing a speed run though without dying. He makes it look easy. It's not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Crossbow really is great and good for red armourers as well. The homing upgrade you get with the green armour is a bit too good :) I really like the daggers as well but they aren't as good as they were in Gn'G since you can't shoot up of down when jumping. Love the games music as well.

The music is amazing. Same as GnG though, right?

Nope other than the first level music the music is completely different and it sounds better in SGn'G. Both games play the same but are completely different. The SGn'G has the better music in my opinion but the soundtrack to Gn'G is still excellent.

• Advertisement

Aha. if only i could get mame working I could give it a shot!

pinksoir wrote: »
    Aha. if only i could get mame working I could give it a shot!

It's easy to get working on mame. The only problem is that it takes ages to boot up. I thought the game was broken but you just have to wait a minute and it will boot up. If you play the megadrive version on hard it;s basically the same as the arcade with minor graphical downgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 albert_s

couldn't agree you more, this game is interesting, what's more, i really love the music in it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

don't forget you have to finish it twice in a row to get to the real final boss.. (2nd time through with the bracelet weapon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

After loving this game/GhoustN'Goblins in the Arcade, I bought this as a kid when on holidays in the US for my SNES and I have to say it's one of the hardest games I've every played, I don't think I ever finished it

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's easy to get working on mame. The only problem is that it takes ages to boot up. I thought the game was broken but you just have to wait a minute and it will boot up. If you play the megadrive version on hard it;s basically the same as the arcade with minor graphical downgrades.

Was this released for the Arcade?

Ghouls n'Ghosts was originally an arcade game. Super Ghouls n'Ghosts is different and only on the SNES.

Ghouls n'Ghosts was originally an arcade game. Super Ghouls n'Ghosts is different and only on the SNES.

So I thought, misread your comment and thought I was missing out on an arcade game:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Crossbow really is great and good for red armourers as well.

Slightly pedantic here, but shouldn't that be red 'arremer'?

bugs wrote: »
    Slightly pedantic here, but shouldn't that be red 'arremer'?

I usually just call him '****'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've loved these games since I first played Ghosts 'n Goblins in the arcade way back when. The first version is one of the most frustrating/ unfair games I've ever played. (The random spawning of enemies for one) Thing is I kept going back until I became extremely good at it!

Ghouls 'n Ghosts is probably my favorite though with the as it evened to odds a little (Shooting up!) and was a quantum leap graphically. If any PSP owner hasn't tried Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins I suggest they give it a try. It was as tough as ever but added lots of new items and power ups to keep a fan like me hook.

Now if you don't mind I'm heading back to 1988.

I found ultimate ghost n'goblins a massive let down. Unlike the other games UGnG is really unfair, often spawning enemies right on top of the player and presenting unwinnable situations. It turns what should be a tough game into frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I found ultimate ghost n'goblins a massive let down. Unlike the other games UGnG is really unfair, often spawning enemies right on top of the player and presenting unwinnable situations. It turns what should be a tough game into frustration.

Agreed Retr0, I purchased that game several months ago and it let me down badly

That's a shame. I played through it a few times now and 'enjoyed' every minute, even the times the psp was almost bounced of every room in the house!

Enemies have been spawning on top of the player from the very first arcade game and having played them all to death I can safely say they're all really unfair!!

As far as unwinnable situations go I've completed the game having collected every ring and item. It just took a lot of practice and patience, particularly getting to some of the spell chests or idols.

Maybe I'm just a masochist :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

What a great game. My mate had this years ago, I think he's actually bald now because of it.

For some reason, with each passing reply to this thread I find myself wanting to get a copy of this game. :o

• Advertisement

LoGiE wrote: »
    That's a shame. I played through it a few times now and 'enjoyed' every minute, even the times the psp was almost bounced of every room in the house!

Enemies have been spawning on top of the player from the very first arcade game and having played them all to death I can safely say they're all really unfair!!

As far as unwinnable situations go I've completed the game having collected every ring and item. It just took a lot of practice and patience, particularly getting to some of the spell chests or idols.

Maybe I'm just a masochist :(

I've beaten Ghouls n'Ghosts and Super Ghouls n'Ghosts on 1 credit and can tell you that these two games are far from unfair. If you die it's your own fault. Ghosts n' Goblins is a lot unfairer but even then it's not as bad. Even stll the enemies spawn too fast and in too great a number and it becomes more annoying than fun.

It's not just me that thinks this but Capcom as well who realised they made a mess of the game and released a tweaked and far better version of the game on PSP but it never made it outside japan.

Each to his own I guess, but I enjoyed UG'nG furstrations and all. It made some long road trips slightly less boring.

I'm glad to see someone else put the time in to one credit Ghouls 'n Ghosts. It's the only other arcade along with The New Zealand Story I've put that much that time into!

Well it's not bad but not anywhere near as good as the other games in the series.

As for 1 crediting Ghouls n'ghosts it was more to do with only having a few megadrive games and having to get the most out of each game I got. I ended up being able to 1 credit the megadrive game on hard mode which was pretty much identical to the arcade version so I ended up being able to 1 credit that as well. I've since lost my touch though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ultimate is ridiculous, even on Easy.

Fairly certain I completed Ghouls 'n' Ghosts on Megadrive, but never Super. Super is just too hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've since lost my touch though :(

We have witnesses to this :p

We have witnesses to this :p

I still managed to beat it. However it wasn't pretty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

It's quite a tricky game but it really makes you feel cheated. There was a few small bits that are WTF the first time around e.g. The random waves in the first level

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It wasn't his fault, it was the lousy joystick!
    Actually, I have realised that my Capcom Generations collection has all three GnG games included, Ghosts'n Goblins, Ghouls'n Ghosts and Super Ghouls'n Ghosts, must dig it out for the Beers. Watch Retr0 perform miracles with a decent controller, and no excuses!

Dr. Doom the fighting game fantatic also commented on the shoddy nature of the stick so it wasn't just me :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement