Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hosting big birthday party- need an unusual dress

• 03-05-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

I'm 21, 5'2", size 12 with hourglass shape, shoulder length wavy golden brown hair, blue eyes and sallow skin (ahem... thanks to my tan in a tube!).

I'm looking for a sophisticated, glamorous but young dress to wear to my party. My budget is €100 and I hate Coast, Karen Millen, Monsoon, Debenhams... all the generic dress shops, basically. I would love something summery and bright, but not garish. I'd like to stay away from strapless or very short styles as they don't suit my shape, and also want to be able to try on the dress in store. Can anyone offer some advice? Have tried on some things in Zara, MNG and a_wear and really wasn't fussed.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Oh, almost forgot. I'm based in Dublin... never would have guessed with the username ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

From your description, I reckon you could really make a statement with going vintage rather than looking at high street just now.

I think in this forum already there is a heap of Dublin vintage stores provided, e.g. the likes of Jenny Vander, and A Store is Born (open Sat only and v pricey but good), the old adage, accessories are key here- long gloves, classy scarf or boa, jewellery, hat, long cigarette holder if you are a smoker etc, when you are the hostess of your own party you have to set the tone for the party ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Vintage is a good option alright :) Or if you want something High Street, I'd suggest checking out Urban Outfitters.
    They usually have some pretty cool, unusual clothes in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

+1 for Jenny Vander.
    Always worth popping into the shop. It's one of those shope where they remember the customer and look after them to the point of holding stock for you 'just in case' you'll like it.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 CBRadio

Sabotage on Exchequer Street can have unusual stuff, i got a nice dress for a winter wedding there, black and gold with a little netting - 1950's style. Not too expensive but different to high street.

Shameless BUMP! Really need help... party on the 15th :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

This may not be a popular reply but I am going to suggest Pamela Scott!!
    I know I know, it makes me think of mums too but I got 2 pretty amazing dresses in there last year for a couple of occasions. I love them as they are so different to anything I have seen in any of the shops you have mentioned ;).

One was an S-Twelve dress which is kind of a hippy inspired line with loads of kaleidoscope colours and embroidery. The other was a ruby rox dress, they are a line that do lots of 50's inspired halter necks et al. The ruby rox dress i got was reduced to 35 euro!

I have also used http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/retrodresses.html as have friends for special occasions!! Make sure to measure yourself before buying online ;)

And Retro in Georges Street arcade do 50's type dresses for reasonable prices also. Sometimes they are a bit overboard with the cherries and skulls but you are 21 so should get away with anything youthful!! (im 28, have to be a little more careful!).

Good luck in your search - and have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Saw on Xpose (I love it :pac:) this evening that Pixie Lott has a new collection out for Lipsy.
    The brand's not to everyone's taste, I know, but her collection seemed to have a few nice pieces and in general, Lipsy can have some really nice, reasonably priced dresses.
    Might be worth taking a look, OP! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 for Sabotage. They have lovely stuff.

Also check out Emma on Clarendon Street. It's a small boutique and can be hit and miss, but they've often pretty dresses. Further up the street is Dolls, another nice one.

• Advertisement

OP have you ever tried Darlng clothes, They are great with a 1950's vintage feel.
    Ths is just one stockist but I know they are available in kildare village.

http://www.iceshops.co.uk/store/search/brand/Darling/

+1 for lipsy, some of the stuff is awful but alot of it is fab.

Also fran and jane have some gorgeous dresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

www.asos.com have some lovely dresses and for such good prices plus Diet coke bottles have vouchers for money off at mo :)

I got my dress from Littlewoods - it was a lispy dress that had sold out even if you have a look and its a little over budget you could go directly to the brand site

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dresstoimpress

full circle, darling, and french connection are good labels. For shop's try urban out fitters and carraig donn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Try the shops in the Georges St. arcade, they have some lovely dresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

arnotts project in jervis st shopping centre can have a great selection of dresses :) i got a fab Max C dress there awhile ago (though the dresses on their site dont seem great from what ive just looked at). They do lipsy and lots of other stuff too.

I thought Arnotts Project had closed down??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

They moved most of it to the main Arnotts. Its behind the miss selfridge/mango miss sixty area

I think any of these would look great to.

http://www.franandjane.com/ShopOnline/ShopOnline.aspx?Name=All Items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Have to say that I really dislike Fran&Jane stuff. There is the occasional nice piece but the overall impression I get is one of neon sacks. Unfair of me perhaps but I can't get past that image when I walk into one of their shops.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

OP is there any particular colour/shape you have in mind?
    Look through the forever unique dresses they are not to short and they do some
    lovely one shoulder designs.

http://www.asos.com/Women/Dresses/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=8799#state=Rf-400%3D12335&parentID=Rf-400&pge=0&pgeSize=20&sort=-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

SexyD4Lady wrote: »
    I thought Arnotts Project had closed down??
    They moved most of it to the main Arnotts. Its behind the miss selfridge/mango miss sixty area

oops, shows how long it is since ive been in town! i usually go to dundrum :)

Just home from town. Tried every shop suggested plus all the shops on Henry and Grafton Street. Tried on so many things and came home with nothing. Won't have a chance to go shopping again before the party because I've exams. Don't even have anything I've worn before that's suitable. Looked like a heifer in everything I tried on. I just want to cry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Get a lend of something from your style blogger friend?

There's an idea. I would have liked something of my own with the buzz of buying something new but she does have lovely stuff in her wardrobe... I'll ring her. Thanks!

Problem solved... very boldly went shopping today when I should have been studying. Went into town to go to the NGI and NMI to look at some pieces of art coming up on my exams next week and thought it would be such a waste if I didn't have a look in the shops again since I was in town, in case anything new and lovely had miraculously appeared in 24hours.

Went into BT2, the only shop I didn't go into yesterday and saw three lovely dresses on the Numph rail that I thought would never suit me, but they all looked lovely on and were SO reasonably priced. I'd a hard time choosing, but I picked up this mint, pink and lilac silk shift Last+Roll+-+10.jpg for €29.87!!!

and nipped into Barratts across the road and bought these for €55 to go with it: http://www.barratts.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_10055_-1_142660_10553

They're a slightly lighter shade in reality so the nude, understated colour will go well with the loud pattern of the dress.

Problem solved!

Advertisement