Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing retail discs through Steam

Options
  • 03-05-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

I've installed a number of retail games through Steam, always opted for doing it because it's handy being able to switch games without using the disc. I bought Metro 2033 today and activated it through Steam - but instead of installing the disc, it opted to download the game from the Steam servers. I'm on your fairly standard 3 meg broadband, it's telling me I'm going to have to wait 5-6 hours to finish the download.

Has this happened anyone else? If I cancelled the download could I start a manual installation, given that I activated the key through Steam?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've installed a number of retail games through Steam, always opted for doing it because it's handy being able to switch games without using the disc. I bought Metro 2033 today and activated it through Steam - but instead of installing the disc, it opted to download the game from the Steam servers. I'm on your fairly standard 3 meg broadband, it's telling me I'm going to have to wait 5-6 hours to finish the download.

Has this happened anyone else? If I cancelled the download could I start a manual installation, given that I activated the key through Steam?

While I can't comment specifically regarding Metro 2033, other games had the on-disc installer copy the files into place, and then prompt for the Steam activation and serial. Did you run the on-disc installer or use the activate option in Steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Spear wrote: »
    While I can't comment specifically regarding Metro 2033, other games had the on-disc installer copy the files into place, and then prompt for the Steam activation and serial. Did you run the on-disc installer or use the activate option in Steam?

It wasn't the key activation in Steam, it was the disc installer (though it had the Steam icon in the corner). Same way I installed L4D 2, MW2, Orange Box and a bunch of others.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It wasn't the key activation in Steam, it was the disc installer (though it had the Steam icon in the corner). Same way I installed L4D 2, MW2, Orange Box and a bunch of others.

Seems there's a fix here, third post.

http://metro2033forums.com/index.php?topic=812.0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Excellent, much appreciated.

Advertisement