Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone at Home problem

• 03-05-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is it just me, or has Vodafone at Home broadband gone off a cliff this weekend?

It was bad most of the weekend, but it's been dying on me all day, and doesn't come back until I hard-reset the modem. Even then, sometimes it'll take 10 minutes or more to get it back. In the last hour, it failed 3 times, taking between 3 and 10 minutes to recover. And it's been doing that all day.

I used to be on BT broadband and have the same equipment since then. I'm accessing through an old Zyxel P660RU-T1 DSL modem that came with the original BT package, and then use a wireless router attached to that. I've tested both, and managed to eliminate them as the cause of the problem.

The modem isn't crashing or overheating, it still loads up configuration pages happily, and I can hard-reset it through that interface, but it's damned frustrating trying to chat on IRC with this.

If location is a factor, I'm out near Clonsilla in Dublin 15, and am currently connected to the 3mb package.

I'm just wondering if I'm not the only one with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Dartz wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it just me, or has Vodafone at Home broadband gone off a cliff this weekend?

It was bad most of the weekend, but it's been dying on me all day, and doesn't come back until I hard-reset the modem. Even then, sometimes it'll take 10 minutes or more to get it back. In the last hour, it failed 3 times, taking between 3 and 10 minutes to recover. And it's been doing that all day.

this weekend ive dropped from 3meg down to just under 2meg in deansgrange d18

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I've had constant drop out all weekend, driving me nuts... Finid their service crap in general since I changed from BT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Dartz

Still hasn't cleared up.

Come home... ten minutes after I actually start using it, it dies again. Goddamn. Can't even shift providers because we're locked into the contract for the next couple of months....

Reasonably fixed...

But downstream noise margin has gone to hell, it's down around 10dB, sometimes around 9-11. Google tells me this is right at the limit of useability.

EDIT: Now seems stable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Itracked alot of my problems back to my router. Pinging it I was getting ping times between 20ms and 2000ms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Same here very dissatisfied with Vodafone might change to UPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Having issues here too. Every time I reboot the router Im getting a different downstream speed. 3542Kb, 4578Kb, 5792Kb have been my last three speeds over the past 2 days. Tech support may as well have been looking into a bush when I rang them.

Never once had an issue with BT in fairness to them, I have to say Im HEAVILY considering moving to UPC for TV/BB & cancelling slowdafone & sky. Only thing putting me off is no UPC phone service in Dublin 10 yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

slowdafone:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Turbo33

Hi,

My speeds = 480Kb/s when i signed up for 7M normally get about 5M to 6M only this weekend for the first time in a long time it drop to crappy levels of 400Kb/s to 500Kb/s

Just off the phone to vodafone tech support and what a joke, she ask me to check if my PS3 cause the issue, also my last downloaded file might of caused it. Oh come on...these tech support are rubbish and they said everything looks fine on their end and its because of contention ratio, oh Please.

Vodafone just lost a customer, i just filled in eircom details and placed an order with eircom.... could be going from bad to worse. I wish this government would just realise how backward our providers are....due to my area i can only get eircom or vodafone :(
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Diairist

try digiweb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

I have been working from home for years and recently (ie since Vodafone took over from BT) i can no longer send emails with large attachments (ie anything ranging from 1mb to 5mb). Vodafone tell me its something in my Microsoft Outlook and the problem is not at their end. Can anyone tell me if Vodafone have reduced the capacity on the broadband line from what it was with BT? Vodafone tell me 'no' but I dont believe them. If i use my '3' mobile broadband i can send the emails so nothing wrong with my Microsoft Outlook. Am so frustrated as with the same attachments. This is causing me untold problems in my job. I work from home and need to email Cad drawings and pdf attachments daily. Can anyone confirm if Vodafone are the culprits here? Should I change back to Eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I've been having similar issues with Vodafone recently (youtube unwatachable etc.). Just checked my usage for May and it says a download of 250mb and upload of 714mb! I don't upload anything really and this is the same as the total upload for previous months. Something fishy going on. Don't have a torrent client running or anything.

Check your PC for viruses mate...

It's started doing it again since yesterday, and I'm almost certain in my case it isn't a virus... I've been having the same issues on seperate machines and operating systems.

Hi,

Just off the phone to some muphet tech support person with vodafone, they said the outage was fixed and there is no more problems....but after 40mins of wasted troubleshooting ( 4 times in the last week repeating steps ) with them she talked to her superviser and the sup confirmed that slow speeds are still big issue in 01 area... now onto complaints department to get refund for outage for last nearly 2 weeks....what a joke. No communications between sups and tech support ... beyond a joke this issue.

cheers
    J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I am assuming you changed the username and password in the modem?

If you are still using the old username from BT then you will be on the old servers.

Hi Shane,

I am still using the old BT user name, i think the last week the tech support told me that the issue is the same no matter what account you are using.

What is the Vodphone user name and password?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

Turbo33 wrote: »
    Hi Shane,

I am still using the old BT user name, i think the last week the tech support told me that the issue is the same no matter what account you are using.

What is the Vodphone user name and password?

username: "phonenumber" @vodafone .ie(drop the 0 in the area code)

password: broadband

total waste of time

if you are having the same problems im having... staus down etc

i rang tech support... total joke
    first guy was fine... second guy was an idiot
    had an attitude because i rang back a second time so soon after the first
    he actually "tut ed" when i asked if he was sure the problem wont reacure(which it did and is still just as bad)

im ringing in the morning to issue an ultimatum

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jr.Hero

Hey just reading the stories of all the problems everyone is having with vodafone. I was wondering is problem mostly in dublin region or are people in other more rural regions having same problem. Currently have 3mb from eircom in donegal and usually consistently get around 2.5 or so. Any feedback would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tim63

did have probs here in the west last week, in the end i got a new wireless modem sent out, getting 1.30 mb/s now but seems faster than old modem, there was a prob with mcafee as well last week, something to do with DAT files which caused internet problems....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 werenotbrazil

I have a friend that works for the tech support. There is no way I could work there with the way they treat them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement