Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luton today

• 03-05-2010 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Bloody hell. They are going to be in very big trouble after the crowd violence today. The fans went for the York fans who were celebrating qualifying for the play off final. The York players had to hide in the stands and missiles thrown at them.

Add this to what happened in Sheffield yesterday, and it does not look good at all for the English league. I know its only a minority, but this will be a major black eye and has to effect the 2018 World Cup bid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Not too surprised at Luton tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

have no time for Luton town FC or their fans in general (there are exceptions) and i lived there for 4 years. There isnt a whole lot to be liked about them tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Any more details? The BBC completely ignore it in their match report, unsurprisingly. Was it many?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just looking at pictures. Mad stuff altogether. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

gimmick wrote: »
    Bloody hell. They are going to be in very big trouble after the crowd violence today. The fans went for the York fans who were celebrating qualifying for the play off final. The York players had to hide in the stands and missiles thrown at them.

Add this to what happened in Sheffield yesterday, and it does not look good at all for the English league. I know its only a minority, but this will be a major black eye and has to effect the 2018 World Cup bid.

Just confirmed, Kenilworth Road and Hillsborough dropped by the world cup bid, Morecambe and Burton Albion on stand by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well done, you obviously know how world cup bids work. Bravo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just looking at pictures. Mad stuff altogether. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

Do you have a link to the pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Jesus Christ, goin by the report on BBC text this seems like the worst in years :eek: Will wait to see footage later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the pics?

The Mail has 2 pictures, judging by the fact the York players are quickly rushing out and are protecting their heads, it must've been bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The Sun has a video link too.

I don't look at those papers, but it was the first google result :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sky Sports News just with a report there, seems the York players went to the away end to their fans and the Luton "fans" came onto the pitch and cornered them throwing bottles and coins at least. Police got the players out through the stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Club should get 10 point ban for this, its not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Had a good lol at the name of the player in the photo in The Sun article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

its kicking off in the Dundalk game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Headshot wrote: »
    its kicking off in the Dundalk game

Really?

You never see any reports in the Irish media about crowd trouble, does it go on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Club should get 10 point ban for this, its not good enough.

What the feck is that?! :confused:

As opposed to a nine point ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Really?

You never see any reports in the Irish media about crowd trouble, does it go on here?

Not too bad in the grand scheme of things, tbf. But that's no excuse, a bad sending off for James Chambers(Rovers) fueled by the manager being sent off and the scum in Rovers fans got involved, tried to charge at the Dundalk fans. In the stand though, didn't invade pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

IvySlayer wrote: »
    The Mail has 2 pictures, judging by the fact the York players are quickly rushing out and are protecting their heads, it must've been bad.
    PC Ronnie Whelan in the first pic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

baz2009 wrote: »
    Not too bad in the grand scheme of things, tbf. But that's no excuse, a bad sending off for James Chambers(Rovers) fueled by the manager being sent off and the scum in Rovers fans got involved, tried to charge at the Dundalk fans. In the stand though, didn't invade pitch.

Same as England then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Should be forced to play their next three home games behind closed doors, as well as a points deduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

OPENROAD wrote: »

Obviously missed the papers back in Feb after LuasGate so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I saw this vid on Sky News, effing shocking behaviour. Luton will be hit hard and rightfully so.

And for the smartarses - this will most definitely hurt the WC2018 bid for England. Blatter/Platini and the rest of the FIFA bureaucrats look for any reason not to award these things to the English, so they will be all over this like a bad rash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ban terraces.

If we give these people seats they'll behave themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Very damaging to the England bid, They will have to hand down serious punishments to hold on to some respect from FIFA.

FIFA wont want this sort of thing going on at a world cup finals.

Also the UEFA cup final riots in Manchester in 2008 will be fresh in their minds again following all this.

Hooligans.

Imagine if that was another national team up in the stands getting bombared with missles following an unfavorable result for England....
    World cup disaster, FIFA will want to avoid imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Savman wrote: »
    I saw this vid on Sky News, effing shocking behaviour. Luton will be hit hard and rightfully so.

And for the smartarses - this will most definitely hurt the WC2018 bid for England. Blatter/Platini and the rest of the FIFA bureaucrats look for any reason not to award these things to the English, so they will be all over this like a bad rash.

What are you talking about? Blatter/Platini and the rest of the FIFA bureaucrats? Platini has nothing to do with FIFA ffs. :rolleyes: Do you know where the CL final is next May? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

How would this effect the WC Bid?

Luton have been at this all year in the Conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

How would this effect the WC Bid?

Luton have been at this all year in the Conference.

I dont think FIFA are concerned by Luton, it is English hooliganism that is their concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I don't see how the odd fight is going to ruin their World Cup bid but its ok to hand it to the murder and rape capital of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I don't see how the odd fight is going to ruin their World Cup bid but its ok to hand it to the murder and rape capital of the world.

Nothing got to do with football in SA, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Blatter/Platini and the rest of the FIFA bureaucrats? Platini has nothing to do with FIFA ffs. :rolleyes:
    Sorry, my mistake, Platini's UEFA. Not that this changes anything, they are pretty much variations of the same thing and both have the same disdain for the English game, probably due to it having such financial muscle.

Oh and as for where the CL final is next year, couldn't care less. I'm a Villa fan ffs, I regret to inform such things don't concern me....yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Goodluck finding a country where there hasn't been a football fan riot in any of the leagues. This shouldn't make any difference to there bid. Now if it was in a premiership stadium it might make a difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

enviro wrote: »
    I dont think FIFA are concerned by Luton, it is English hooliganism that is their concern.

I think what antomorro-sei is getting at is that why should this event be treated any different to what goes on all the time..

Advertisement