Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job offer in Oz - what are my Visa options

Options
  • 03-05-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently travelled to Oz and did a few interviews etc when I was there.
    I got back a few weeks ago and now I've been offered a job by one of the companies I spoke to when out there. The job start isn't until end June so have some time to decide, but not sure what my exact visa options are.

Here's some info:
    - I'm under 30
    - I have a wife who is also under 30, but not an Irish national.
    - I used a holiday visa when went there before, so still entitled to WHV
    - My prospective employer knows that I would like sponsorship (I mentioned at the interview) - but I don't think they realize how much work / effort is required to do this.
    - My job is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) on the immigration.au website
    - If we do decide to go to OZ then it would probably be for 2-3 years

Here's what I know about my Visa options so far (could be wrong on some points):
    - I can get 1year Woring Holiday Visa (WHV) as I'm Irish but my wife can't as she isn't.
    - My wife can't stay as my dependant when I'm on WHV.
    - My wife can get only 3month holiday Visa, and can renew this each 3 months by going to Figi / NZ for a quick trip (True???)
    - My 1year WHV can be renewed after the 1st year as long as i'm still working.
    - My wife will not be eligible to work on her 3month visas, and can only renew this a total of 4 times (1yr max).
    - In order for my wife to be entitled to stay as my dependant and be eligible to look for work etc, I need to have Permanant Residency or a company sponsorship Visa.

Here's my questions:
    - Is it possible for us to stay (legally) without asking my employer to sponsor me. I don't want them to re-consider the offer if they find it troublesome to sponsor me. But my wife would like to try find work also when we are there (she is on the skilled list too)

- If they do agree to sponsor me, does that have to be done before we go there?

- Or can I go on 1year WHV (& my wife on 3mth holiday visa), begin work, and then start the sponsorship process after my foot is in the door.

- What happens in our situation if I get company sponsorship, but then get let go after 5/6months? (I really don't anticipate this happening but just want to know all possible pitfalls).

- Is there any web-site that calculates the nett pay from gross salary? Is the tax similar to Ireland or much different? My employers are paying something called 'superannuation' as part of the offer they made. This is approx 10% of my gross salary so it's significant. Is is the same as PRSI here?

- Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

paddyblue wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently travelled to Oz and did a few interviews etc when I was there.
    I got back a few weeks ago and now I've been offered a job by one of the companies I spoke to when out there. The job start isn't until end June so have some time to decide, but not sure what my exact visa options are.

Here's some info:
    - I'm under 30
    - I have a wife who is also under 30, but not an Irish national. Does her country not have a WHV agreement with Oz, alot do.
    - I used a holiday visa when went there before, so still entitled to WHV
    - My prospective employer knows that I would like sponsorship (I mentioned at the interview) - but I don't think they realize how much work / effort is required to do this.
    - My job is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) on the immigration.au website
    - If we do decide to go to OZ then it would probably be for 2-3 years. Then 4 year sponsorship seems the best route

Here's what I know about my Visa options so far (could be wrong on some points):
    - I can get 1year Woring Holiday Visa (WHV) as I'm Irish but my wife can't as she isn't. Yes
    - My wife can't stay as my dependant when I'm on WHV. Yes
    - My wife can get only 3month holiday Visa, and can renew this each 3 months by going to Figi / NZ for a quick trip (True???) She could get a long stay holiday visa, check one of the other threads on this - think you can get 6 or even 12 months
    - My 1year WHV can be renewed after the 1st year as long as i'm still working. No, you can only renew it if you do 3 months accepted rural work e.g. fruit picking - and also be ware you can only work for one employer for 6 months on your WHV
    - My wife will not be eligible to work on her 3month visas, and can only renew this a total of 4 times (1yr max). Sounds right
    - In order for my wife to be entitled to stay as my dependant and be eligible to look for work etc, I need to have Permanant Residency or a company sponsorship Visa. Yes

Here's my questions:
    - Is it possible for us to stay (legally) without asking my employer to sponsor me. I don't want them to re-consider the offer if they find it troublesome to sponsor me. But my wife would like to try find work also when we are there (she is on the skilled list too) Not really - you could move and work on a WHV but you can only stay with them for 6 months. It could be an option though as it gives you 6 months to sort it and likewise for them...it doesnt help the situation with your wife though

- If they do agree to sponsor me, does that have to be done before we go there? No, you could still go on a WHV and start the process immediately

- Or can I go on 1year WHV (& my wife on 3mth holiday visa), begin work, and then start the sponsorship process after my foot is in the door. Yes, see last

- What happens in our situation if I get company sponsorship, but then get let go after 5/6months? (I really don't anticipate this happening but just want to know all possible pitfalls). You would have 1 month to find another job or leave the country

- Is there any web-site that calculates the nett pay from gross salary? Is the tax similar to Ireland or much different? My employers are paying something called 'superannuation' as part of the offer they made. This is approx 10% of my gross salary so it's significant. Is is the same as PRSI here? No its basically a mandatory private pension - everyone has to pay it at source and you will be taxed 35% of it if you claim it before you are 65 (or 67 now i think) i.e. when you leave the country - tax is pretty easy in Australia and the tax website should have the charts - you will be taxed different on a WHV i.e. start at 29% on dollar one if i remember correct - although saying that i effectively paid no tax over 3 tax years there

- Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

All up to yourself really, how is your situation back in ireland and do you thinik its worth going though all this if its only for 2-3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

When you went for the interview what visa did you tell the company you would be working on?

As FreeAnd.. says on a WHV you can only work for 6 months for one employer.

A 457 4-year Business visa is easy enough to get and only takes about 2-3 weeks to process but it involves a bit of work by the company and they have to be willing to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It sounds like a 457 is the way to go, as if you do a WHV and your wife can only stay 3 months and you can only work for the comp for 6, it sounds messy

unless you come over on a WHV and get then sponsored over here.
    It should only take a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd come on a WHV, the wife on a 6 or 12 month visa, check is she able to get a WHV, most can.
    While working for the first 6 months sort out sponsorship, with the wife as de facto

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭paddyblue

Thanks for the detailed reply FreeAnd.
    In answer to your last question - I got let go from my job recently so am currently on the dole, as is the wife - so the situation here is not good. I have no desire to emigtrate so far away from home, but having a good job for the next 2-3 years sure beats sitting on my backside claiming unemployment benefit.

From what others are saying the 457 visa is relatively straight forward. If we do decide to go will go on WHV and sort the sponsorship out when get there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

paddyblue wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed reply FreeAnd.
    In answer to your last question - I got let go from my job recently so am currently on the dole, as is the wife - so the situation here is not good. I have no desire to emigtrate so far away from home, but having a good job for the next 2-3 years sure beats sitting on my backside claiming unemployment benefit.

From what others are saying the 457 visa is relatively straight forward. If we do decide to go will go on WHV and sort the sponsorship out when get there.

sounds like the best plan, at least the WHV gives you 6 months to sort the 457 and you should have no problem getting a 6 month holiday visa for your wife...at least you are available to start work for them without them needing to apply for visas prior...Best of luck with it all, I can't reccomend getting away from Ireland (for a few years anyway) enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kerry yid

Here is a website to cal net pay after tax.Will be paying more tax on a WHV do.
    http://career-services.careerone.com.au/payrise-calculator/home.aspx?247SEO=N&WT.srch=1&referrer=gother&type=B

Actually wondering if somebody can help me with this visa query,

What is the visa number for PR? How do I go for it?
    and
    I might go for sponsorship next year, or maybe skilled
    migration if I can make an independant visa, from looking at website and you have to be a student if inside Australia,

basically what are my options after WHV besides 457

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    Actually wondering if somebody can help me with this visa query,

What is the visa number for PR? How do I go for it?
    and
    I might go for sponsorship next year, or maybe skilled
    migration if I can make an independant visa, from looking at website and you have to be a student if inside Australia,

basically what are my options after WHV besides 457

175 General Skilled Migration (Offshore Independent) PR
    176 General Skilled Migration (Offshore State or Family Sponsored) PR
    121 ENS (offshore) PR
    856 ENS (onshore) PR

Easy enough if you have can get a + skills assesment for all above. and you are well behaved and healthy
    (Longer time for the processing of GSM)

For 856 2 years on a 457 can be used in lieu of a skills assessment

857 RSMS Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme. (Onshore) Restricted PR

For GSM http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-outside.htm
    For ENS http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/visa-permanent.htm

These are Onshore PR visa usually Student visa --> PR
    885 Residence (Independent) Requires an Australian Qualification after two years of study in Australia. PR
    886 Residence (State Sponsored) Requires an Australian Qualification after two years of study in Australia. PR

For Residence visa http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-inside.htm

Note:
    175 & 176 can apply for while in Australia but you wont get a bridging visa and if your WHV runs out before your PR visa is processed you will have to leave. You have to leave for about a week anyway to get the grant for 175 & 176

Thanks mandrake, nice to see them sorted,
    I had seen them all at some stage, but wasn't 100% on all

I was hoping for an onshore independant, without the student option

175 and leaving for the grant is the closest, forgot you could apply and leave like that, thanks

I'll end up going for 175 or 856, depend on situation next year with work, how willing they are to help and how I feel about a holiday in Ireland/thailand

• Advertisement
Advertisement