Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a skip?

Options
  • 03-05-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Looing for some advice here..

Basically long story short, the house we rent doesn't 'do' bins; the landlord told us form day one to gather the rubbish, when we have a car load, go the the city dump and get rid of it there. our responsibility to get city bins, but he wouldn't empty the old ones that were there so we couldn't re use them. We dumped the first batch, which resulted in two very smelly cars chugging out to the dump. We all use our cars for work (carrying passengers/kids etc) so no one has been keen to do it again, and between jigs and reels we have a shed load of rubbish (divided into recyclables and non). How much are small skips to rent and can we just throw the lot into it? Don't mind driving the clean recyclables out to the dump but the food/other waste..eek...under pressure time wise the next two weeks so no ideal to drive out a few times.

I know it's mank, no need to tell me that AGAIN.

So domestic skip prices, experiences anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

If you knew somebody with a trailer/cowbox to bring your stuff to the dump that might be your best bet; certainly the cheapest anyway.

A skip for the recyclable waste will be half the cost of the landfill one; neither are all that cheap tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks Biko, I had googled, but looking for people's experiences on cheapest prices and often others know of people who might do a good deal or something?

Wish I knew someone with a trailer alright..I'll ask about as hadn't thought about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You could possibly get a commercial 600 litre wheeled Bin from Barna Waste. You need to be able to give a business/self employed name but they don't check & don't seem to be that concerned.

They charge €5 a month rent & about €25 each time the bin is emptied. If you squash stuff down, like treading grapes, you will get at least 20 big bin liners in it so it is very cost effective.

I'd look into the commercial bin/trailer option if I were you; skips in this city are not cheap!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why don't you just buy a set of bags from the council, and put them out the next collection day?

When I rang they said they won't come out this far (Rahoon).....I didn't think they would pick up rubbish unless it is in wheelie bins anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

does Galway have something like uhaul where you can rent a trailer for a couple hours?

Xiney wrote: »
    does Galway have something like uhaul where you can rent a trailer for a couple hours?
    I'm not aware of it - it could be an entrepreneurial opportunity for someone....

Google is suggesting www.trailers.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

• Advertisement

As I recall Barna waste prices are similar to that of Citybin; but maybe you could haggle?? starting at €170 sounds about right; I think I paid something close to that last time I hired a skip. B&Q do those skip bags but I don't actually know how they work.

Hiring a trailer could be tricky; trailer insurance is odd in this country at the best of times. Maybe check the Advertiser and see are there any registered waste removal people that have those trailerback trucks or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

You can get a small skip from Barna waste for 100 euro,fill it to the top and put some boards along the edges to give extra height and fill it even more.
    I was told this by one of the workers that they will always take it and there is no need to rent the large size.

Anyone got large boards;-) great suggestions thanks everyone. Obviously the most cost effective would be to fill a truck or trailer but convience wins this time

When I rang they said they won't come out this far (Rahoon).....I didn't think they would pick up rubbish unless it is in wheelie bins anyway?

Who is "they"?

The council pick up in bags from places in the city centre where wheelibins are unsuitable. I'm guessing there are some spots in the suburbs where they're unsuitable too.

JustMary wrote: »
    Who is "they"?

The council pick up in bags from places in the city centre where wheelibins are unsuitable. I'm guessing there are some spots in the suburbs where they're unsuitable too.

The council. When we moved here we enquired about Bin Tags, but they (again the council, and also Threshold as one of the girls rang them for advice) said they don't operate that system. What bags are you talking about JustMary and where would I find some info on them? I'm sure tho the council would a heads up if we put out 20 plus bin bags...

The council sell plastic bags, like regular rubbish bags, but red (for rubbish) or clear (for recycling). No info on that web (that I could find), you just buy them from City Hall. They are pretty big: my two person household could get it's weekly rubbish into a third of a bag, but still might not be the solution to your immediate problem, but could be used to stop it happening again.

Great, thanks JustMary! It's really hard to get information about them, very frustrating. Will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

why not buy loads of the red council bags,
    fill them up with ur rubbish,
    in the middle of the night load up ur car,
    drive into town and find a nice secluded spot where there are some of these bags already put out,
    quickly add your bags to this and hey presto!

no more rubbish!!

AFAIK its not illegal.

(i never did this before! ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

Why dont you just get some wheelie bins, the waste companies will take them back if you move from your rented accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

possible solution:

if you have a hatchback with seats that fold down, get a tarp or a painter's drop cloth and put it down on top of the "platform" that creates. Double bag all rubbish and stick it on top of the tarp.

Should keep the car from getting bin juice on it...

sorry it's just I can't imagine spending 170 euro on a skip!

• Advertisement

We did the care trip thing all right and survived the bin juice drama thanks to black bags but the idea of this post is to see how we could avoid it...

we move out in a month, no point paying for wheelies as the min contract is 3/6 months depending on the organsiation. Plus we have council wheelies out the back which have been stuffed to the brim with the old tennants unsorted rubbish.

Only really looking to see if anyone had an good cheap experinces with skips..red bag option might be handy if I could contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; just make sure that the landlord doesn't try to charge you to get the old bins emptied!

we move out in a month,

Ahh, that's probably a key point. The council sell in rolls of 15, and you have to physically go to City Hall to buy 'em.

But several shops in town (Hollands, Finnigans, possibly the Spar on Eyre Square) sell individual City Bins bags. You'd only want four for a month. And the earlier poster is quite correct about just being able to leave 'em at night (or early morning is better still) in a place where others are piled up.

City Bins collect bags from the city centre every day. The council do it on Mondays.

JustMary wrote: »
    Ahh, that's probably a key point. The council sell in rolls of 15, and you have to physically go to City Hall to buy 'em.

But several shops in town (Hollands, Finnigans, possibly the Spar on Eyre Square) sell individual City Bins bags. You'd only want four for a month. And the earlier poster is quite correct about just being able to leave 'em at night (or early morning is better still) in a place where others are piled up.

City Bins collect bags from the city centre every day. The council do it on Mondays.

I'd be morto if someone pulled me up on it tho! I'd feel terrible unloading bags outta the back of my car!

So let me get this straight; I can go to the City Hall tomorrow, buy a roll of 15 bags, fill them and leave them outside my house in Rahoon?? I think I should ring them to let them know we will have 15 bags, otherwise they would never know??

Thanks everyone!!

I'd be morto if someone pulled me up on it tho! I'd feel terrible unloading bags outta the back of my car!

So let me get this straight; I can go to the City Hall tomorrow, buy a roll of 15 bags, fill them and leave them outside my house in Rahoon?? I think I should ring them to let them know we will have 15 bags, otherwise they would never know??

Thanks everyone!!

Mortified would be right if they were unmarked bin-bags: then you'd deserve all the public vilification we could manage ;) But if they're marked bags that you've clearly paid to have collected, I'd not be feeling bad.

I can't guarantee that the council will take the bags, but I can't see any reason why not: same story, you've paid. Asking them might be asking for them to say "no" when they shouldn't ... it might prompt some wellmeaning official to hassle your landlord about lack of rubbish removal, which just ain't your problem right now. Balancing act, I guess. Do you know what day the council collection is in Rahoon? Perhaps you could ring and ask about that, and work the conversation around to some extra bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

I know the corporation still take away big items like couches and beds but you have to ring ahead and organise it and it costs 20euro per item iirc.
    Im sure you can talk them into taking your extra rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Lady Pennyworth, just make sure you ask the council lads on the Grey bin truck if they wouldn't mind taking the bags for you. Nothing worse than been TOLD "someone" in City Hall said to take the bags, which they have no right to say. Most of the lads are sound if you just ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

we move out in a month, no point paying for wheelies as the min contract is 3/6 months depending on the organsiation. Plus we have council wheelies out the back which have been stuffed to the brim with the old tennants unsorted rubbish.

There's your answer. Leave your rubbish in the shed and be on your way. Let the landlord worry about it. He's obviously a tosser if he won't deal with the rubbish from your predecessors.

forumfiend wrote: »
    There's your answer. Leave your rubbish in the shed and be on your way. Let the landlord worry about it. He's obviously a tosser if he won't deal with the rubbish from your predecessors.

But its the tenants responsibility for things like waste, etc so it wouldn't really be the right thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

Does anyone know any skip companies that will accept food waste?

Advertisement