Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marketing ideas?

Options
  • 03-05-2010 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I own a dog walking and pet sitting business, and I've been doing the usual advertising in shops, online, tramore advertiser, etc.
    I have given out some flyers round homes, but I hate doing it because I know it annoys some residents to recieve flyers like that. Unfortunately, the majority of my clients have come from doing just that.

I was thinking about taking some flyers out with me when I'm walking and offer them to other people walking their dogs (especially at the weekend because there's a lot more people out during the day) but is that too in your face?

I just don't want to be pushy, but I know I need to do more advertising of some description! Any advice would be appreciated :)

edit: I do have a website already, and I've started a facebook page (not really set up yet), but I don't think they are going to bring in new customers are they? Should I maybe do something more with these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I own a dog walking and pet sitting business, and I've been doing the usual advertising in shops, online, tramore advertiser, etc.
    I have given out some flyers round homes, but I hate doing it because I know it annoys some residents to recieve flyers like that. Unfortunately, the majority of my clients have come from doing just that.

I was thinking about taking some flyers out with me when I'm walking and offer them to other people walking their dogs (especially at the weekend because there's a lot more people out during the day) but is that too in your face?

I just don't want to be pushy, but I know I need to do more advertising of some description! Any advice would be appreciated :)

edit: I do have a website already, and I've started a facebook page (not really set up yet), but I don't think they are going to bring in new customers are they? Should I maybe do something more with these?

Why not get your name/logo printed on some dog jackets. Then put these on the dogs when you are walking them.

Alternative print it on a t-shirt and wear the t-shirt when walking the dog. Say hello to other dog walkers and they will notice the t-shirt or dog jacket.

No-one will remember your number (unless you carry fliers on you and someone asks for one when they see your t-shirt and ace dog walking abilities). But the will remember a web address. The website is good for people who forget your phone number but remember your business name. They'll just type it into google.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

get people to post fan pictures of their dogs to your facebook site, have a monthly competition on Facebook for discounted walking/grooming services, start a competition for best presented dog, get into the schools and offer free dog grooming classes for kids, get flyers in to dog food shelves in Glanbia, offer to sponsor dog litter bins for Council?, stickers on litter bins?, branded leads?, have a club for repeat users with a 10% discount but they have to commit X in spend to get the discount ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pawsitiveleads

Thanks for the ideas!

The T-shirt / dog jacket idea is one that I've been wanting for a while now. I reckon I'd go with a polo / hoody to start, and maybe get a dog jacket later.

Having a club for regulars is a good idea, but I do offer discounts for block booking already. I'll see how that goes, and then possibly change it a little. It is nice to see those stamp cards filling up for a free coffee or whatever, so that is an option also!

I love stickers and sticker art, but if a business was doing that, does it fall under grafitti / vandalism? That would be the last thing I need, but it'd be great to do. Maybe members of the public wouldn't like it so much.

If I had more clients, an animal of the month on facebook would be great. I know Ani-pets do that on their facebook page.

I would love to be able to offer a reduced rate for older people that are maybe living in sheltered housing and are unable to take their dog out on their own. I guess I just need to investigate that a little better and try and find where that type of housing may be.

Cheers for the ideas, it's much appreciated! I'm off to look at t-shirt printing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

contact your local vets and ask if you can put up a flyer/poster on their waiting room notice board etc

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

You could try a Google Adwords campaign to drive people to your website - PM me if you would like a hand setting this up!

I have seen people put posters up on lamp-posts etc with little tear-off bits with phone numbers on.

Make friends with people working in local pet shops and pet grooming places! Also maybe dog kennels.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sinall, I've done most of that, but haven't tried the adwords thing yet. To be honest, I know nothing about adwords, but I'm a little worried about paying out too much more.
    I guess the main thing is that the majority of responses are from door to door flyers, but I hate the fact that it's not targeted in any way. I'm sure a lot of those homes don't even have dogs to walk or pets to look after. Then there's the amount of paper used to print the flyers. I think it may be unfortunate that I just have to stick with what actually improves the business even if I'm not happy about the means.

I should maybe look into sharing links with other websites. I need to finish my facebook page, so hopefully I'll build a few links that way also. It's not even got any info on it yet, but I know a local pet store has added me, so that is something I need to do.

I'll have a look at adwords, I'm just very ignorant to it at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Thanks Sinall, I've done most of that, but haven't tried the adwords thing yet. To be honest, I know nothing about adwords, but I'm a little worried about paying out too much more.
    I guess the main thing is that the majority of responses are from door to door flyers, but I hate the fact that it's not targeted in any way. I'm sure a lot of those homes don't even have dogs to walk or pets to look after. Then there's the amount of paper used to print the flyers. I think it may be unfortunate that I just have to stick with what actually improves the business even if I'm not happy about the means.

I should maybe look into sharing links with other websites. I need to finish my facebook page, so hopefully I'll build a few links that way also. It's not even got any info on it yet, but I know a local pet store has added me, so that is something I need to do.

I'll have a look at adwords, I'm just very ignorant to it at the moment :)

I am happy to talk you through adwords, you can set a daily budget and you are not actually charged unless someone clicks on your ad. Did a lot of this in my last job and did a few projects on it as well so don't mind helping you out/lending a hand! It's nice to see people setting up things like dog-walking services!

Cheers Sinall :)

I'll have a look and see what I can find out, and if I'm lost, or even just want a hand I'll let you know. I really appreciate the offer!
    It might seem like an odd business to start, but it's one of those things I've done for years just helping out friends and family...and then friends of friends etc. Moving to a new area and trying to start from scratch though has proved a lot tougher than I expected. Now I've got regular customers I would expect word of mouth to work for me as the feedback has been great.
    Thanks again for the offer, and nice comments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi pawsitive, am going to PM you 3 facebook friends/sites which might help spread the word. One is near Co Tipp (Cahir area), the other one Cork, and another one... can't remember where !
    Point is though, that people from anywhere visit the pages, not just the locals, so you do get publicity and a name somehow.

I only knew the first site because of a friend, then through it discovered the second, then through that one the third...

Good luck with it :D

Edit : forgot to say in my PM, the first 2 are on facebook.

Advertisement