Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lite-on 93450C xbox 360 question

Options
  • 03-05-2010 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

not asking for wheres or hows, just ifs...

can a lite-on drive be modded without the need for additional hardware key extractors/soldering? been googling all day and the instructions are all over the place and some contradict others.

is there a software only way of doing it like there was with earlier drive models?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Helix wrote: »
    not asking for wheres or hows, just ifs...

can a lite-on drive be modded without the need for additional hardware key extractors/soldering? been googling all day and the instructions are all over the place and some contradict others.

is there a software only way of doing it like there was with earlier drive models?

cheers

Wittnessmenow/TV will clear this up for you, but as far as I know, the extra hardware required is only there to make setting the drive into vendor mode more EASILY, than a program can do it for you. I very well may be wrong as Ive never done a LiteOn before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ok well thats promising then so, not too worried about added difficulty of doing a software only approach if its possible, its just that i dont have my soldering gear with me in canada and dont really fancy buying new stuff

nope extra hardware is needed, they patched the software method since the 8series V2 liteon.

You need to make cuts and solder the drive pcb, you can do this with a homemade device like so:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=698256

Or get one of the vampire or probes which makes it easier but still requires cutting and solering(dispite what team executer say who market crappy glue)

right, turns out housemate has a hitachi

for the sake of me not wanting to go the soldering route, is there any reason i shouldnt just swap out the systems and mod hers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

right, turns out housemate has a hitachi

for the sake of me not wanting to go the soldering route, is there any reason i shouldnt just swap out the systems and mod hers?

if you have liteon 9 series that means the xbox is much newer that the one with ****achi. I would spend extra few quid on moding liteon than moding the other one.

• Advertisement

hers is a september 2007 manufacture date, mins a jan 10

hers is a september 2007 manufacture date, mins a jan 10

so hers is probably zephyr/falcon ur one is jasper (if bought new not send back from microsoft).

I would stick with yours

grand, think ill go that route

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm a bit late on this topic (screw you real life), but I fully agree with what docentore says.

Just to explain in a little more detail, you can't just swap out your DVD drive with your housemates (s)hitatchi drive. The DVD key (stored on the DVD Drive firmware) is tied to the CPU key (motherboard). If you boot your console with a drive that doesn't have the right DVD key your green power led will flash and the drive won't read any games.

If you wanted to swap your drives (crazy talk, as docentore pointed out), then you would need to flash the Hitachi drive with the DVD Key for your console. Since your xbox is updated (Manufactured after June 2009, or updated with xbox dashboard after August 2009), the only way to get the DVD Key off the drive is to read the firmware from the original drive, and thus you're back at square one.

There is no software-only way to read firmware from a LiteOn 93450C, it's an updated model of DVD Drive with a different circuit board that's designed specifically to stop firmware reading. It's even got some tricky hardware changes that require the cutting and soldering of the PCB to "trick" the drive into spilling it's guts :)

If you weren't getting at swapping the drives and were talking about swapping the consoles themselves then I would still go with the extra hassle to modify your console - it's a Jasper, less problems, less chance of an RROD, HDMI connection etc etc. If you're not confident there is a list of people who modify drives as a sticky at the top of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

cisk wrote: »
    nope extra hardware is needed, they patched the software method since the 8series V2 liteon.

You need to make cuts and solder the drive pcb, you can do this with a homemade device like so:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=698256

Or get one of the vampire or probes which makes it easier but still requires cutting and solering(dispite what team executer say who market crappy glue)

No soldering or cutting if you have the new Probe 2

• Advertisement

RealistSpy wrote: »
    No soldering or cutting if you have the new Probe 2

Wrong, looks like you have been had by xecuters excellent marketing talk.

Cuts NEED to be done, no way around that.
    Cuts NEED to be repaired, xecuter apparently have this magic conductive glue, which still hasnt seen the light of day to repair the traces.
    But anyone is going to know conductive glue is a crappy way to repair traces on a Pcb, Soldering a small point over the cuts is what anyone with sense would do.

what fellow modders use for them? Vampire, Probe2? Are they any good? I use LT switch with soldered kynar wires to it ;)

Im using a vampire, works well so far. Do the BoxxDr cuts and jump the trace with kynar and probe the points with the vampire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I use LT switches, but i bought the tool from diygadget but havent gone one to mod since

I use LT switches, but i bought the tool from diygadget but havent gone one to mod since

I think I will order one. I'm tired of using the same LT switch (guess where I got it from ;)

damn you witnessmenow for showing me diygadget. You will burn in hell next to the person who showed me dealextreme :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

docentore wrote: »
    damn you witnessmenow for showing me diygadget. You will burn in hell next to the person who showed me dealextreme :P

+1, I hate you wmn, or more specifically, my bank balance hates you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

cisk wrote: »
    Wrong, looks like you have been had by xecuters excellent marketing talk.

Cuts NEED to be done, no way around that.
    Cuts NEED to be repaired, xecuter apparently have this magic conductive glue, which still hasnt seen the light of day to repair the traces.
    But anyone is going to know conductive glue is a crappy way to repair traces on a Pcb, Soldering a small point over the cuts is what anyone with sense would do.

:) Cuts needed

found a bloke near me to do it for $30, cheaper than buying the bits myself and he'll update for free when theres new firmware so it seemed the quickest and cheapest option. if i was gonna do it for people, id probably have gotten the kit, but im not bothered tbh

Just to explain in a little more detail, you can't just swap out your DVD drive with your housemates (s)hitatchi drive

the plan was to swap consoles, not drives

Advertisement