Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working as a trainee..rights?

Options
  • 03-05-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Not quite a prob but neeed to go unreg as too many people recognise my username so hope that's okay. Can't post it in the Piercing and Tattoos forum just yet as the person isn't aware of my concern yet, and they are a boardsie.

Young lad I know, recenetly got offered an 'apprenticeship' in piercers. Been there now 6 months, 4 days, learning all the hygience rules, biolgy bits, about the jewellary (actually been pretty impressed at how welll the place is run, etc very above board and spotless). I know there is little regulation and training in Ireland if at all, which is why the said person was delighted to get the apprenticeship as it will help them in a few years abroad when looking for that piece of paper. Does supervised piercing, nothing crazy yet. Is pretty good too, according to the guy who runs it and is training him up.

I'm concerned really though about insurance, if anything goes wrong etc, I am pretty sure there is no cover. While one could look at it like 'slave labour'..getting a young person in to do cleaning, odd bit of reception and not paying them, I think things are different in this type of industry. I know they have no rights or anything but is there any back up for them? What ought I advise the young person to do, they have been dead set on this kind of work since a kid and 6 months in are still as mad about it as day one. Aged 20 also whether that makes a diff. Any advice around this area would help.

Advertisement