Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Cup IV Signup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

<team_id>34</team_id>
    <boards_username>finbaromahony</boards_username>
    <boards_id>335756</boards_id>
    <biog>After coming second in the fighters cup, the Kilumney Devils are showing a poor run of form due to many sex scandles and are riddled with sti's, They are looking for a good run in the boards cup after applying some topical cream to the affected area</biog>

My players are revolting and are demanding expulsion of finbars team until they get clean. my players will not take to the field with their health at risk.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

<team_id>34</team_id>
    <boards_username>finbaromahony</boards_username>
    <boards_id>335756</boards_id>
    <biog>After coming second in the fighters cup, the Kilumney Devils are showing a poor run of form due to many sex scandles and are riddled with sti's, They are looking for a good run in the boards cup after applying some topical cream to the affected area</biog>

I get the feeling that the "Nearly There" award is going to go up in value this season with all this top class competition joining up. Good times for boards.ie cup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Horya

<team_id>49464</team_id>
    <boards_username>Horya</boards_username>
    <boards_id>318668</boards_id>
    <biog>Morale spent season 8 bulding a balanced but inexperianced XV. After joining the boards, and recieving helpful advice and tips from members, Morale would like to now compete in the Boards Cup.</biog>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

<team_id>35211</team_id>
    <boards_username>dreamer_ire</boards_username>
    <boards_id>175136</boards_id>
    <biog>I am woman.... hear me ROAR<biog>

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

<team_id>45080</team_id>
    <boards_username>Wylie Luke</boards_username>
    <boards_id>Where do you find this?</boards_id>
    <biog>If it's warm and wet and feels good who's to say it's wrong?</biog>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

That's 22 so far by my count. Looks like 24 teams is a distinct possibility again this season. I'm thinking of closing for signups at 2:35 (kickoff time) next saturday (week 14). The new teams' rankings after that game would be used to place them amongst the returning teams.

I think two weeks is the minimum time we'd need to have a chance of everyone accepting their fixtures by week 1.

I think it might be worth starting the Boards Cup a week or two into the new season so those who get a decent BR Cup run only complete on side fronts rather than three.

I think it might be worth starting the Boards Cup a week or two into the new season so those who get a decent BR Cup run only complete on side fronts rather than three.
    I'm not sure if there's a way around it. The first 3/4 weeks of the cup are all bots. After that, most teams at boards cup level have maybe two or three really competitive games.

If the boards competition starts that late, then it will be running into the business end of the league. I think weeks 8-12 are probably the best time in the season to have the knockouts - most teams are out of the cup, and the leagues haven't gotten too pressured.

I think it's grand as is to be honest, nice timing. Those on a BR Cup run can forget about the boards cup a bit, those knocked out still have something to play for. Can't see a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

You could always split the season ?

Play in weeks 1 - 3

Have a break until week 7 or 8 and start again ?

• Advertisement

jprender wrote: »
    You could always split the season ?

Play in weeks 1 - 3

Have a break until week 7 or 8 and start again ?

Would you have more groups then to get people played in that time. ie split each group as it stands in two and the top two of both go through rather than the top four as it stands?

this could be a solution?

eoferrall wrote: »
    Would you have more groups then to get people played in that time. ie split each group as it stands in two and the top two of both go through rather than the top four as it stands?

this could be a solution?

Well if we say that the knockout stages take place over 3 rounds as usual, that would take care of weeks 10, 11 and 12.

That would leave the following weeks for group games :

week 1
    week 2
    week 3
    week 7
    week 8
    week 9

If you wanted 7 group games like the last time, just shove the knockout stages to weeks 11, 12 and 13 (assuming that is not too close to the playoff games )

Otherwise, just go with groups of 4 and play home and away which means that all group games are over with in 6 rounds. 24 teams means 6 groups, just like the Heino.

Of course, after suggesting this, I am odds on for a round 3 exit from the main cup competition now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I think groups of 4 would be better. Some people got screwed last year by having to play a lot of away games. With groups you get a home and an away tie and make the winners more deserving cause the groups wont be as biased.

I think groups of 4 would be better. Some people got screwed last year by having to play a lot of away games. With groups you get a home and an away tie and make the winners more deserving cause the groups wont be as biased.

I had a good few of the games away :(

But that wasn't overly a concern, just think it would be more competitive to play people twice - add in a bit of revenge for the last game etc.

Also with smaller groups if one team disappears it only impacts that group and so less fixtures are interrupted.

The fixture imbalance is a problem with the 8 team pools allright. I am coming around to the idea of the HEC style: four team pools with a gap in the middle of the season for the BR cup. It would make for fewer games than I had in mind (maximum of 9). Could have the potential to be intense though - the margains (in quality) between the teams in small pools could be tiny.

The fixture imbalance is a problem with the 8 team pools allright. I am coming around to the idea of the HEC style: four team pools with a gap in the middle of the season for the BR cup. It would make for fewer games than I had in mind (maximum of 9). Could have the potential to be intense though - the margains (in quality) between the teams in small pools could be tiny.

Well this season would be a bit of a try out but seedings could be worked out I'm sure, and then group 1 has seed 1 and seed 5, seed 9 etc.

HEC style seems to be the way forward imo

Well this season would be a bit of a try out but seedings could be worked out I'm sure, and then group 1 has seed 1 and seed 5, seed 9 etc.

HEC style seems to be the way forward imo
    I still favour the 'reverse seedings' we used last season. I think it makes for more competetive matches, and gives weaker teams a better chance of qualification. I'm entirely open to pursuasion though. Could I get a show of hands on this?

I still favour the 'reverse seedings' we used last season. I think it makes for more competetive matches, and gives weaker teams a better chance of qualification. I'm entirely open to pursuasion though. Could I get a show of hands on this?

I don't mind.. as I (as in my team) probably rank somewhere in the middle it doesn't make a whole load of difference, but the grouping of similar ranked teams is good for competitiveness as you say. Just thinking of if we switched to a HEC style format how easy it would be to translate that grouping style to the smaller groups. If a way is suggested for that I would go for that option, you learn more about your team and tactics playing similar teams rather than far weaker or far superior teams imo.

Some sort of reverse seedings make sense for the weaker teams.

How about Groups 1 and 2 consist of top 8 seeds.
    Groups 3 and 4 have 9 - 16
    Groups 5 and 6 have 17 - 24

Progression to cups something like this.

Boards Champions cup

2 from group 1 (1st and 2nd)
    2 from group 2 (1st and 2nd)
    1 from group 3 (1st)
    1 from group 4 (1st)
    1 from group 5 (1st)
    1 from group 6 (1st)

Almost there award

1 from group 1 (3rd)
    1 from group 2 (3rd)
    2 from group 3 (2nd and 3rd)
    2 from group 4 (2nd and 3rd)
    1 from group 4 (2nd)
    1 from group 6 (2nd)

Try harder trophy

1 from group 1 (4th)
    1 from group 2 (4th)
    1 from group 3 (4th)
    1 from group 4 (4th)
    2 from group 5 (3rd and 4th)
    2 from group 6 (3rd and 4th)

^ That's exactly what I had in mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

As a complete newbie I'm not sure I get a vote/opinion but with a Div V team I'd be in favour of reverse seeding as it'd be all over before the first lickoff if I came accross a Div 2 or 3 team, at least with reverse seeding your in with a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Some sort of reverse seedings make sense for the weaker teams.

How about Groups 1 and 2 consist of top 8 seeds.
    Groups 3 and 4 have 9 - 16
    Groups 5 and 6 have 17 - 24

Progression to cups something like this.

Boards Champions cup

2 from group 1 (1st and 2nd)
    2 from group 2 (1st and 2nd)
    1 from group 3 (1st)
    1 from group 4 (1st)
    1 from group 5 (1st)
    1 from group 6 (1st)

Almost there award

1 from group 1 (3rd)
    1 from group 2 (3rd)
    2 from group 3 (2nd and 3rd)
    2 from group 4 (2nd and 3rd)
    1 from group 4 (2nd)
    1 from group 6 (2nd)

Try harder trophy

1 from group 1 (4th)
    1 from group 2 (4th)
    1 from group 3 (4th)
    1 from group 4 (4th)
    2 from group 5 (3rd and 4th)
    2 from group 6 (3rd and 4th)

I would 2nd this suggestion! :)

I think that looks good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I think JP is on to a winner there.

Wylie Luke wrote: »
    As a complete newbie I'm not sure I get a vote/opinion but with a Div V team I'd be in favour of reverse seeding as it'd be all over before the first lickoff if I came accross a Div 2 or 3 team, at least with reverse seeding your in with a chance!

I think you'll find that there's a balance between lower division VS higher division team... higher division teams have more competitive leagues so have less resources for the boards cup, whereas Div V and IV should be such a cake walk that you can throw your full squad into boards.ie .

I vote JP also

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Paul76567

team_id>58033</team_id>
    <boards_username>Paul76567</boards_username>
    <boards_id>337155</boards_id>
    <biog>Newcomers to the Boards Cup, the Kilsough South Warriors are hoping to go on a giant killing run.</biog>

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I think you'll find that there's a balance between lower division VS higher division team... higher division teams have more competitive leagues so have less resources for the boards cup, whereas Div V and IV should be such a cake walk that you can throw your full squad into boards.ie .

That being said I used the boards cup as more ign for the seconds, as I had my firsts playing in the cup, and then the league once I got knocked out. Will probably have to change that for next season with the ign changes (opposition from intensity).

I probably have to lowest rating out of the teams that took part last season? so im all for sticking me in an easy group :)

I vote JP also

I hope you'll repeat that statement in a couple of weeks ;)

• Advertisement

I hope you'll repeat that statement in a couple of weeks ;)

Sure why not!

What position are you going for? :D

Advertisement