Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

opinions please

• 03-05-2010 7:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

ok heres the thing........im doing my lc in june 2010
    straight after i plan to go to fas for a while and get some computer fetacs
    then go into a full time job for a career

now this is the important part....i wanted to join the irish defence forces {army}....but there not recruiting........so just out of curiosity i looked at the british army and it looks like an amazing job.....but im worried about getting killed or losing a leg..........i know i have to take the risk but i just want some opinions........am i crazy to join.......is it likely ill get blown to bits......is there anyone here from the irish regiment who has an experience to share

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

This was posted in Militaria but I think he's better off asking over here. I moved it but feel free to move it back if it isn't the right forum for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Why do you want to join the army? <-- honest question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

denballs wrote: »
    ok heres the thing........im doing my lc in june 2010
    straight after i plan to go to fas for a while and get some computer fetacs
    then go into a full time job for a career

now this is the important part....i wanted to join the irish defence forces {army}....but there not recruiting........so just out of curiosity i looked at the british army and it looks like an amazing job.....but im worried about getting killed or losing a leg..........i know i have to take the risk but i just want some opinions........am i crazy to join.......is it likely ill get blown to bits......is there anyone here from the irish regiment who has an experience to share

what kind of job within the BA are you thinking about?

what kind of job will have an impact on the chances of getting into action and also your exposure to IED risk. though nothing is 'safe' - assymetric warfare means that the REME Vehicle Mech and the RE Geo Tech need to be a switched on as the Infanteer.

just because you're Irish you don't have to join an Irish Regiment. the BA has about 180-odd jobs to choose from...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

Preusse wrote: »
    This was posted in Militaria but I think he's better off asking over here. I moved it but feel free to move it back if it isn't the right forum for it.

thanks man.im new and didnt know the difference

syklops wrote: »
    Why do you want to join the army? <-- honest question.

i dont want to do a 9-5 job that bores me and live just to get drunk on the weekends............i want to travel to crazy places like afghanistan ........i want to learn the skills............im really into fitness.........loadza reasons i guess..............

• Advertisement

OS119 wrote: »
    what kind of job within the BA are you thinking about?

what kind of job will have an impact on the chances of getting into action and also your exposure to IED risk. though nothing is 'safe' - assymetric warfare means that the REME Vehicle Mech and the RE Geo Tech need to be a switched on as the Infanteer.

just because you're Irish you don't have to join an Irish Regiment. the BA has about 180-odd jobs to choose from...

well id like about 2 years training then.......id like to do somthing involving technology.........maybe communications.........id also like to learn to fly a helicopter and just be an ordinary soldier.............im not afraid of combat im just more curious wether its likely that ill get injured or does that happen less often these days...........

im gonna join no matter what but want info from a non biased source on wether its a stupid thing to do and can i rise to the 30k a year wage early on or will i be on 13k for a long time............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Have you though about the Royal Navy? Computer/electronic skills are crucial to the running of a warship and you're more likely to pick up a dose of something nasty in a Portsmouth/Dubai/Belize brothel than lose a limb.

Have you though about the Royal Navy? Computer/electronic skills are crucial to the running of a warship and you're more likely to pick up a dose of something nasty in a Portsmouth/Dubai/Belize brothel than lose a limb.

lmao............well i am exceptional with a pc .........i have a terrible memory but seem to have a photographic one when it comes to computers.........i havent really thouhgt of it as i have no idea what they do.......like in wwII they bombed subs and s6tuff but afghans probably only has a few dingys in their navy....{fishing boats with spears glued on}.............well i have heard there the best trained but the gay rumours put me off a fair bit.........if there was a load of sticky bums id probably break the friendly fire record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The gay rumours are rubbish, I'm sure it happens, but no more than any other service.

Look at the royal navy website to see what they do, it is a lot more than you may think.

If you want to fly helicoptors, you probably have as much chance in the navy as the army or airforce.

well id like about 2 years training then.......id like to do somthing involving technology.........maybe communications.........id also like to learn to fly a helicopter and just be an ordinary soldier.............im not afraid of combat im just more curious wether its likely that ill get injured or does that happen less often these days...........

im gonna join no matter what but want info from a non biased source on wether its a stupid thing to do and can i rise to the 30k a year wage early on or will i be on 13k for a long time............

the figure of £13k is for new entrants with less than 14 weeks service. it then goes to ;16k during phase 2 - but it then goes on your banding and whether your trade is a 'higher' or 'lower' level trade.

REME Avionics Technician.

good job.

fearsome competition for places, and although in administrative terms you only need - i think - 58 BARB points to apply, you'll be going up against applicants with 80 - 90 points. 2 years training, excellent trade pay, promotion to L/Cpl upon completion of Phase 2 training, upon promotion to Cpl you can apply to undertake pilot training with the AAC for both fixed wing - Defender ISTAR aircraft - or Rotary wing - Apache, Lynx, Gazelle, B212 etc...

and you'd be fixing their helicopters, so your face would be known...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr-McBain

If you're interested you could join 24th Commando Engineer Regiment or 29th Commando Regiment Royal Artillery. They support 3 Commando Royal Marines so you'll be getting the best training and see lots of action. There are certain doors that are closed unless you were born a British citizen i.e. submarine service, RAF, Royal Navy pilot. Flying for the British Army is extremely competitive so don't hold your breath. There's always risk in the military regardless of what branch you serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

lmao............well i am exceptional with a pc .........i have a terrible memory but seem to have a photographic one when it comes to computers.........i havent really thouhgt of it as i have no idea what they do.......like in wwII they bombed subs and s6tuff but afghans probably only has a few dingys in their navy....{fishing boats with spears glued on}.............well i have heard there the best trained but the gay rumours put me off a fair bit.........if there was a load of sticky bums id probably break the friendly fire record

You realise that both the British and Irish armed forces all gay men and women to serve openly right? you will be serving with gay people so get over that fact before you apply because I guarantee you, those views you have will get you kicked out of either force very quickly

oglaigh wrote: »
    You realise that both the British and Irish armed forces all gay men and women to serve openly right? you will be serving with gay people so get over that fact before you apply because I guarantee you, those views you have will get you kicked out of either force very quickly

a couple of things...........

1- i have no problem with gay women..........they can have 24/7 orgees all they want.......id work for free:D

2........i have no problem with gay men as long as they arent being gay around me............and as im extremly good looking ill need some sort of gayman repelling shield............and i assume there not allowed to be gay in front of other people................

basically they can be camp........it might even be funny
    but if i see em kissin or bummin :eek: anywhere they,ll catch a smack.............:mad:

thanks os119 and mrmcbain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

2........i have no problem with gay men as long as they arent being gay around me............and as im extremly good looking ill need some sort of gayman repelling shield............and i assume there not allowed to be gay in front of other people................

but if i see em kissin or bummin :eek: anywhere they,ll catch a smack.............:mad:

:rolleyes:

Stay out of the military. No military needs someone like you serving in it. Plus, chances are the lads that might be "kissing or bumming" would burst you for mouthing off. Mouthpieces don't last long in the military.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Thank God they ship all the gays off to the Armed forces so there are none left to roam our streets and work in civilian jobs!!!! Imagine having to be around gays every day in work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Ba ha ha ha ha.

Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

a couple of things...........

1- i have no problem with gay women..........they can have 24/7 orgees all they want.......id work for free:D

It's easy to know you are 17. A few facts mate; Not all gays will want you, in fact, most won't I guess. You won't get on well in most facets of life with this kind of intolerance. You can try to smack them, but just because someone is gay doesn't make them effeminate, remember that before you get your ass handed to you.

What do you mean by "being gay" though? You realise that gay people are always gay? Not just when they are part-taking in homosexual activity.

There is no "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in either The Irish DF or the British military. They don't have to hide anything from you, it's you that has to change, not them.

Can someone recall the full quote for me please "There isn't any *something* in a foxhole"

Den, grow up seriously.

please don't apply to join the BA, you're a cretin.

if you walk into a section and display that attitude towards soldiers who, unlike you, have done tours in ****holes where their nipples get used as target practice, they will fill you in. big style.

go home, grow up and stay the fcuk away from an organistion that doesn't give a **** about your ridiculous prejudices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

OP makes me lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

but just because someone is gay doesn't make them effeminate, remember that before you get your ass handed to you.

And just because someone seems effeminate, it doesn't mean they can't handle themselves either . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

lol he'll have some laugh joining any army, the amount of homo erotic messing that goes on is unreal. Just this weekend in Kilworth I turned over in my bed to a site that was not so pretty if ye catch my drift :eek:

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    lol he'll have some laugh joining any army, the amount of homo erotic messing that goes on is unreal. Just this weekend in Kilworth I turned over in my bed to a site that was not so pretty if ye catch my drift :eek:

I assume you're in the Navy?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

ahahahahahahaha would sound about right but it aint. Nah unfortunately im RDF infantry waiting to become PDF when this ban is eventually lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Folks - give the kid a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

You'd be pretty safe in the RAF or RN (as long as you didn't join the Marines) but even within the army certain parts are 'safer' than others i.e. infantry is obviously a lot more dangerous than Intelligence Corps although even the latter has taken casualties. So that said there's no frontlines in modern warfare and thus there's no job where you'd be 100% safe. I watched the 3 Rifles marching through Edinburgh on Sky the other day. Their battlegroup had 30 KIA and there was a lot of lads who'd lost limbs and whatnot. Nothing but respect for those guys though, probably more guts and bravery than I'll ever have.

But you can't live your life in fear of death. You could get hit by a car tomorrow so you might as well do what you want to do! We all end up the same way eventually it's just a matter of when and how! Might as well live a bit while you have the chance.

Although you might want to lose the attitude about 'dem gays wantin to bum ya'

It's easy to know you are 17. A few facts mate; Not all gays will want you, in fact, most won't I guess. You won't get on well in most facets of life with this kind of intolerance. You can try to smack them, but just because someone is gay doesn't make them effeminate, remember that before you get your ass handed to you.

What do you mean by "being gay" though? You realise that gay people are always gay? Not just when they are part-taking in homosexual activity.

There is no "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in either The Irish DF or the British military. They don't have to hide anything from you, it's you that has to change, not them.

Can someone recall the full quote for me please "There isn't any *something* in a foxhole"

Den, grow up seriously.

la la la la--ha ha

i know people lie alot online and none of you will believe this but i can handle myself when it comes to unarmed combat............theres only 3 guys in ireland who can beat me down........and there not gay......i know because there the 3 guys ranked above me on the national mma rankings......................{dont believe me just google it and check number 4,s first name..........................you smug homosexual anti-antieist pratwat

and i obviously meant being obviously gay..........as in most of the time i see no difference between gays and non gays........though by your phrasing you seem to believe them to be a different species............{although technically they are a different species......well technically they arent a species at all........

definition of a species---capable of and frequently act upon the ability to interbreed

and as for the dont ask dont tell policy thats not by choice thats due to legislation brought in in 1980 to protect equality in the workplace................alot of countries court marshal---imprison or even kill gay soldiers................

oh and what are you talking about.......putting somthing in a fox,s hole........of course you have nothing wrong with homosexuality if you go around having sex with fox,s .................you filthy bastard

ah im only messin with you guys............i just want as much info as i can get so i know im makin the right choice..............if i offended anyone then.......well **** it i dont care but maybe i was a bit offensive...............

but im asking legit questions..........are gay people in the army..........the answer seems to be yes..................is it not my choice to ask questions about a possible 10 year career.........orf longer..............is it so unreasonable that i want to know who ill be living eating working and risking my life with...................yes i got angry...............but i was,nt the first..........................i actually asked the same question to a very high ranking officer based in lancanshire who found it funny and told me that its one of the most commonly asked questions and that its good that i want to know about who ill be training with and if ill get on well with them........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Their sexuality or practice thereof will have absolutely no bearing on you, so if it makes a difference to your comfort when you're living with them and working with them, then you're just bigoted and no army needs you. The British Army is trying to wrest Afghanistan from the Taliban to protect its people from people with outdated viewpoints like yours, so either lose the weird issues or find an alternative career. Also, your confidence in your fighting skills would be interesting to watch crumble if you got mouthy and a half a dozen Paras fed you your own arse. ;)

• Advertisement

Their sexuality or practice thereof will have absolutely no bearing on you, so if it makes a difference to your comfort when you're living with them and working with them, then you're just bigoted and no army needs you. The British Army is trying to wrest Afghanistan from the Taliban to protect its people from people with outdated viewpoints like yours, so either lose the weird issues or find an alternative career. Also, your confidence in your fighting skills would be interesting to watch crumble if you got mouthy and a half a dozen Paras fed you your own arse. ;)

not interesting no.......amazing id say.........maybe 40 paras might stand a chance........i know there trained in hand to hand combat but i seriously doubt any of them have achieved Black 8 Degree in kickboxing and highest in other continental rankings...............i know you think a few guys that can kill each other in 10 seconds is a big deal but i can do things that would terrify them..........they wouldnt be so tough when there paralysed and at my foots mercy

Best of luck to you. You're going to get eaten alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

@It wasn't me!, i'd be thinking the OP is on a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blacksmith105

denballs

You sound as if your mind is already made up but if u have a fear of losing a leg or worse then dont join the BA , I lived and worked in England during the height of the IRA troubles and never had any problems and I think its ok to be Irish again over there .
    There are many opportunities available in the BA or Royal Navy that dont involve frontline combat . You could train as a motor mechanic or service technician loads of opps to think about

Remember this is not a video game if u do decide to join up and want to be part of a combat unit yes there is a chance u may never see home again , yes u may got shot and u cant reset the game and start again

Have a good think about it and see what is available in the Navy or ground support in the RAF

Best of luck

gatecrash wrote: »
    @It wasn't me!, i'd be thinking the OP is on a wind up.

I'm not sure which idea I like better, that he be joking, or that someone with those stupid, bigoted ideas end up getting sodomised with a broomstick by a few dozen angry Paras. On the one hand, hope for humanity. On the other, justice. :p

not interesting no.......amazing id say.........maybe 40 paras might stand a chance........i know there trained in hand to hand combat but i seriously doubt any of them have achieved Black 8 Degree in kickboxing and highest in other continental rankings...............i know you think a few guys that can kill each other in 10 seconds is a big deal but i can do things that would terrify them..........they wouldnt be so tough when there paralysed and at my foots mercy

What use, may I ask, will all these unarmed combat skills be when you have a Talib pointing an AK at you?

• Advertisement

piby wrote: »
    What use, may I ask, will all these unarmed combat skills be when you have a Talib pointing an AK at you?

please dont bring your stupidity into my threads unless you plan to actually read a couple of posts so you can understand the conversation.......moron

thanks blacksmith for the reply

Denballs is going to be taking a 3 day holiday as a result of his posts in this thread.

please dont bring your stupidity into my threads unless you plan to actually read a couple of posts so you can understand the conversation.......moron

My point was that you keep going on and on about how brilliant a fighter you are. If you're really that good then I take my hat off to you as having been in out of MMA since I was 15 I know how much work and perseverence it takes to reach that level. But my point was that modern warfare is fought with guns and IED's and jets etc. While having the skillset you possess would be an advantage in certain stiuations it's not the be all and all of combat. A bullet will floor you just as quickly as it will Muhammad Ali or Joe Bloggs who's never done any martial arts in his life. You seem to be implying that because you're good at unarmed combat you'd automatically be a great soldier which is an incorrect and naive assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Poccington wrote: »
    Denballs is going to be taking a 3 day holiday as a result of his posts in this thread.

I dunno Poccington, you could be leaving yourself at his foot's mercy!

don't forget he's exceptional with a PC, a trained killing machine and extremely good looking.

Just like....Trent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

As a lifer in the armed forces I have met this kind of person hundreds of times. The fact he wants to join but is scared of getting hurt speaks volumes about his character.

I’m sure all his fighting prowess will be useful in his first ‘mill’ or his first weekend leave in a garrison town like Pirbright , Catterick or Aldershot or maybe even Lympstone, where proper hard men who know how to fight will surly teach him a valuable lesson, perhaps (god forbid) some of these guys might even be….. dare, I say it gay!

Let me give you some advice sonny! Whichever of the serves you opt for, keep your head down, your mouth shut and listen in, because not only might you be surrounded by truly hard men, but you might learn something that could keep you and your mucker alive.

WOII (ret)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Doesnt matter where you go, if you have that attitude you wont even make it past the training in any army. Its always the jack the lads who go first after mouthing of about how easy it will be. Stick to the computers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

m.j.w wrote: »
    . Stick to the computers.

I don't know about that now, I work in the IT industry, Like the armed forces there are certain types of characters that don't last in the IT sector, he would be one of these characters.

what ever he does, he needs to change his attitude if he is serious about it.

Personally though I think he was trolling.

Advertisement