Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best chipper in Dublin?

Options
  • 03-05-2010 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭

I live abroad now but Whitehall/Marino used to be my stomping ground. We had a great chipper called The Rimini on Collins Avenue "back in the day" which was run by the illustrious Victor and his Italian famiglia. Now the chipper is still there under the same name but under different (Irish) ownership and it's POXY!! Waxy, soapy undercooked chips. Low grade battered cod that's more empty space than food. Garlic mushrooms are a disaster. Onion rings are worse. Spice burgers are an abomination. It's all bad...ALL THE TIME.

When I go home to see me ma I always want to get a big bag of grub after a bellyful of beer in The Goose Tavern but the Rimini just doesn't cut it. I know that some of you will sing the praises of Leo Burdocks and to tell you the truth I haven't eaten their fare in 20 years so I hope it is still as ace as it was back in my college days. Next time I'm in Dublin I wan't to go for Saturday afternoon pints in town with the other half and then have a big rake of chipper nosh in town so recommendations are most appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think either Luigis in Ranelagh or Borza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

poisonated wrote: »

Where's Borza's?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Where's Borza's?

There are a few, the one in Sandymount is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Mona Lisa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Leo Burdocks I would say, their fish and chips are fantastic.

Been a few years since I had it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I live abroad now but Whitehall/Marino used to be my stomping ground. We had a great chipper called The Rimini on Collins Avenue "back in the day" which was run by the illustrious Victor and his Italian famiglia. Now the chipper is still there under the same name but under different (Irish) ownership and it's POXY!! Waxy, soapy undercooked chips. Low grade battered cod that's more empty space than food. Garlic mushrooms are a disaster. Onion rings are worse. Spice burgers are an abomination. It's all bad...ALL THE TIME.

When I go home to see me ma I always want to get a big bag of grub after a bellyful of beer in The Goose Tavern but the Rimini just doesn't cut it. I know that some of you will sing the praises of Leo Burdocks and to tell you the truth I haven't eaten their fare in 20 years so I hope it is still as ace as it was back in my college days. Next time I'm in Dublin I wan't to go for Saturday afternoon pints in town with the other half and then have a big rake of chipper nosh in town so recommendations are most appreciated.

Last time I got Burdocks I threw most of it away. Greasy and undercooked batter inside the fish. What about The Airport Take-Away on your old stomping grounds? Went in there a few months ago and was told they don't do Garlic Chips. Wtf kind of takeaway is that?

The best takeaways are the oldschool Italian family run ones like Silvios, Fusciardi, Borza, Roma, Aprile, etc. If you see Chinese behind the counter, as you do in places like Some Like It Hot, don't expect great things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'd say the Airport Takeaways the best one by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

wyndham wrote: »
    The best takeaways are the oldschool Italian family run ones like Silvios, Fusciardi, Borza, Roma, Aprile, etc. If you see Chinese behind the counter, as you do in places like Some Like It Hot, don't expect great things.

Yeah, I've never had good chips from the Chinese. Even in New Zealand where Fuch & Chups are a national passtime, most of the chippers were run by the Chinese, they always produce dry cardboardy chips. Stick to what you're good at lads, and leave the chips to the Italians :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I cant say I've ever had a bad single out of burdocks in christchurch and I've had many! The battered burgers are a must have too!

Any silvo's I've tried have always been nice aswell, but I'd still go out of my way and drive in from as far as maynooth just for a burdocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hillbilly's in fairview is the best if it's chicken your after. Can't beat a breast in a bun and milk:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Marsella's in Ballygall. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Have to say I'm very disappointed with Burdock's these days. I reckon the boom went to their heads and now they are dishing out overpriced fish and chips which are okay but nothing special. Not like the used to be!

Luigis in Ranelagh and Aprile in Portobello were always winners for me, but dunno if they have fallen down the same path as Burdocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

poisonated wrote: »

Luigi's is a great spot.
    WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah, I've never had good chips from the Chinese. Even in New Zealand where Fuch & Chups are a national passtime, most of the chippers were run by the Chinese, they always produce dry cardboardy chips. Stick to what you're good at lads, and leave the chips to the Italians :pac:

There's a chipper with Chinese staff at the top of Capel Street that does nice chips and great burgers. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it - but it's near the Parnell Street end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Prestos on South Lott's Road, at the side of Slattery's. Best fresh cod ever in the whole wide world, and that's a fact :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Fat John's in Donaghmad.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

RTE's Capital D covered this very issue last October. You can see it here. They reviewed 3 chippers, Borza's in Walkinstown, Salvetta's in Corduff and Macari's in Raheny. I can't remember which won, but Salvetta's in Corduff came a close second (as it happens, its a great chipper. I don't know either of the other two).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A lttle known but great chipper: matassa on berkeley road. They do a cracking cod..havent been there in years but i hope the standards are still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭gar120

Silvio's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Try the del rio it's a nice little take away and restaurant iv been going there every so often over the years and allways enjoyed a good spruce up in there just turn right into upper abbey st and then take your first right again at the abbey theatre and it's right opposite the side enterence doors to the abbey after you have made the turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ph3n0m666

richardjjd wrote: »
    Borza's in Walkinstown

Best chipper ever...least back when I was young lad - the grandmother used to live beside it - man I was a fat kid back then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Prestos on South Lott's Road, at the side of Slattery's. Best fresh cod ever in the whole wide world, and that's a fact :D

They do a great chicken fillet burger too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

gar120 wrote: »
    Silvio's

Horrible place. So overpriced and their chips are poor. Best chipper I know of is Aprile in Stillorgan. Top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Midnight Express on Dorset St.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Fusciardis on Capel st. ftw.:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Piper's in Portrane, it's there years, it's run by twin brothers.. they do the best chips ever and huuuuuuge portions, my parents often take a spin down there (from Blanch) just for their food, myself and the OH got a smoked cod and chips between us last time we were down and we struggled to finish it :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

Borzas in Walkinstown does the best chips ever,with Mizzonis in rathgar a close second

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I've been to Italy a few times and don't remember chippers over there - why are most chippers over here Italian owned.

My own theory is they were kicked out of Italy for producing unhealthy food.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Fat John's in Donaghmad.

Ya cant beat a Fat Johns Desperate Dan. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

If its fish and chips your after it has to be Burdocks in Christchurch, hands down the best, never been disappointed, always fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Luigi's still going? Haven't eaten there in over 20 years!

I'd recommend the chip butty in Iskanders on Dame St; if that's still there.

Advertisement