Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best chipper in Dublin?

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

In the old days, Lorna's on parnell street. also Fuscardi's on Capel Street, still good last time i was there but that was a couple of years ago,

but my all time fav has to be Forte's Chipper on Dorset street. i remember going in there at 5 years of age, maybe younger and it looks exactly the same today as it did then. Still visit that place regularly. :)

PS, I used to be a fan of Leo Burdocks but it has to be said, they've become drunk on their own propaganda, the food out of that place is complete shoite these days. at least in the Phibsborough and Liffey street branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

Borzas in Tallaght Village was always my favourite. They used to split the bag so the salt and vinegar covered nearly all the chips

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

any1 know if the big lad is still in borzas in Sandymount....
    he was fckin huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I'm so surprised that this thread has gotten so far without anyone mentioning Howth- Caffe Caira at the top of the East Pier is the best chipper around. Yummy food, and lovely scenery.

Lynch's in Killester is lovely too, they wrap the food in paper as opposed to bags- I love that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

smilerf wrote: »
    he was fckin huge

I believe he is still there. Well he was last time I went by which was less than 6 months ago. He is in a very difficult position at that weight, but he is a gentleman none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Fingal Cafe in Swords for me.. Love the place..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

the bad...

Alpine grill beside the A1=Shoite...greasy/and smoked cod was black..

gave it a second chance cos i was well on the first time i went there.....got sick the second time...and i've a stomach like a sewer!

Cosy=dear and living off its own reputation ...gone down hill..

the good...

savoy chipper on NCR../fitzgibbon st.

CEEBEE'S..{gone now..was superb}

Mr.T's...clonliffe avenue{also gone sadly}

Perky Chic was pretty good.

Peter's Takeaway in Santry village...consistantly good Fish and Chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

I think it's worth giving http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055917167 a heads up for all of the fish and chips lovers.Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

smilerf wrote: »
    he was fckin huge

Yeah I think he is still there. Bruno is a lovely man.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Used to be a good one in Clondalkin when I lived there, then it burnt down and never came back.
    :-/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Borzas in Tallaght Village was always my favourite. They used to split the bag so the salt and vinegar covered nearly all the chips

Sean
    never! macari's was even better than there.

Borza on the cromwellsfort road in walkinstown,just can't beat it,i miss chipper :-(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Got chips from Sorrento on Arbour Hill (Manor St end) there last week and they were delicious. Best chips I'd had in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

pmcmahon wrote: »
    never! macari's was even better than there.

Borza on the cromwellsfort road in walkinstown,just can't beat it,i miss chipper :-(

Heathen!!! There was always a queue in Borzas on a Saturday night in the mid to late 80s while Macaris was empty!!

I'll meet you in Molloys carpark and we will sort this out;)

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lillylilly wrote: »
    I'm so surprised that this thread has gotten so far without anyone mentioning Howth- Caffe Caira at the top of the East Pier is the best chipper around. Yummy food, and lovely scenery.

Not so sure about that, their chips are always undercooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

tricky D wrote: »
    Not so sure about that, their chips are always undercooked.

I've never been to a chipper that didn't undercook their chips. Horrible bendy greasy things they are. God help me but McDonald's fries are better than every Irish chipper's chips and Ronnie Macs food, as we all know, is muck of the highest order.

So there. And of course I say that with all due respect. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

Haven't seen it mentioned so far - my fave by far is Beshoff Bros on Mespil Rd (just off Baggot St near Mespil hotel).
    They also have branches in Clontarf and Howth (different to Beshoffs in O'Connell St afaik).

It's normally quite busy in there with people from all walks of life. Not cheap, but the chips are great and the batter is fab - the chicken goujons are divine! :)

If only they did home delivery - I'd probably get it every night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Hamburger Bar in Kilbarrack. Very good. Nyom :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I've never been to a chipper that didn't undercook their chips. Horrible bendy greasy things they are. God help me but McDonald's fries are better than every Irish chipper's chips and Ronnie Macs food, as we all know, is muck of the highest order.

So there. And of course I say that with all due respect. :D

Sorry, mate but "undercooked" doesn't mean something other than a crispy shell with nothing inside like Mcdonald's farcical fries. A good chip should have a golden brown skin, not droop when held at one end and when one bites into the marvelous al-dente texture, a waft of spud-scented steam rises from the fluffy white innards of the chip. The diner must then inhale, position the hot chunk forward in his/her open mouth and breath gently on it to cool it. A fit of coughing may ensue if the chip has been doused with vinegar and our hero has inhaled the asphyxiating acetic acid fumes.

Alas chippers aren't what they used to be. But many are still good. The Airport Chipper on Swords Road near the Viscount was unreliable. Somedays good, somedays crap. It was always second best to the Rimini but now is better, which isn't saying much since the Rimini is appalling.

"Rimini owners, if you're out there reading this, YOU SUCK!! Give it up. You are not Italians! You can't make chips. You are sickening an entire neighbourhood!"

Is Fusco's still on Collins Avenue? Also I remember Wonder Burger on Westmoreland Street used to do good chips and their burger was ace. And you know, Abrakebabra's crinkle cut chips always impressed me (but I was locked). Still these aren't chippers, pe se, so don't really count.

Can't say what the best chipper is but i was in the worst one years ago. It was in Cork City. I was on hols and my mum decided to get some chips. This place was a kip. There was a pall of smoke from the ceiling down to about six inches above the head of the guy cooking. He only had one eye, the other eye being just a white socket. Shocking for me, a boy of 8. When we got our chips and left we discovered them to be undercooked as in they had a hard external but were still white. And they were made from the waxiest, soapiest, poxyest potatoes known to man. They went straight in the bin.
    I've always wondered if the eye thing was a result of serving his chips to someone of a more discerning palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The best chips in Dublin are in Fischiardis on Marlborough St. They are just beautiful and I eat a lot of chips. Not the biggest bag though and they dont have large bags of chips but they are damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Quiggers59

Hi all. Whilst not exactly In Dublin the best chipper is an easy call. Cassoni's on Bray seafront is the winner for me. It has a take away and a sit in restaurant with sea views. The fish is good to outstanding .take a walk from Bray Dart towards Bray Head and Cassonis is next to The Amusements. For health reasons take the Cliff Walk from Greystones to burn off the calories and have a proper fish and chip meal. enjoy!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement