Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a Referee

• 03-05-2010 8:34pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The first stage in becoming a referee is to contact your local County Referee’s Administrator and the second stage is to attend a Level 1 Basic Club Referee Course. Following the completion of this course and the successful completion of the rules assessment and fitness test, the referee is qualified to referee at Club level.

Neutral linesmen at Club and Inter-county are usually qualified referees.

Umpires are normally acquaintances of the referee who have completed an Umpire Training Course.

Just a quick question on the whole process, does anyone know how long it takes/how hard the course is and am I expected to be a member of my local club first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

No how many referee's do you know that aren't part of a club?:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

irish_goat wrote: »
    Just a quick question on the whole process, does anyone know how long it takes/how hard the course is and am I expected to be a member of my local club first?

Courses are done over two days in some counties, certain number of hours to do. I think its 10-12 hours for the course, it isn't hard as far as I know, it is just the basic rules of the game, afaik there is a written paper on the rules.

You have to be a member of your local club, or any club to be covered by insurance when you ref. I haven't heard of Refs Administrators, what county are you based in?? Different counties have different structures. What are you looking to ref (hurling/football) and to what age??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

A lot will depend on how active your referees committee are. The Dublin referees committee are fairly good at running courses. Takes about 2 nights and a written exam, multiple choice IIRC. There is also usually a fitness test during the year.

If you have any background in gaelic games its not that diffficult at all.

You raise an interesting point though about referees being involved in clubs. I am not doing any games at present but I would question some referees who are heavily involved in clubs and to say the least are very biased when it comes to referee a team in a league where their own club have a team. I have seen one club getting relegated in this situation. I never did games involving teams where our senior team were in the same league.

Dublin C.C.C. I think are fairly decent in this regard.
    Gone off topic, sorry mods. food for thought

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

LeoB wrote: »
    A lot will depend on how active your referees committee are. The Dublin referees committee are fairly good at running courses. Takes about 2 nights and a written exam, multiple choice IIRC. There is also usually a fitness test during the year.

If you have any background in gaelic games its not that diffficult at all.

You raise an interesting point though about referees being involved in clubs. I am not doing any games at present but I would question some referees who are heavily involved in clubs and to say the least are very biased when it comes to referee a team in a league where their own club have a team. I have seen one club getting relegated in this situation. I never did games involving teams where our senior team were in the same league.

Dublin C.C.C. I think are fairly decent excellent in this regard.
    Gone off topic, sorry mods. food for thought

Dublin CCC are one of the best in the country, I'd completely agree about it being much easier if you have been involved already, though there are some technical rules that you may never have heard of! Normally there is a review night every year as well, that my experience with the ladies football!

LeoB, hurling or football? Which did u find easier to ref?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cheers for the responses, based in Donegal(weekends/outside of college time) and Kildare(weekdays) so could probably do the course in either.

Found out from this article that the Donegal Referee Administrator is Frankie Doherty so can get in touch with him tomorrow. Donegal Democrat

The shortage mentioned is half the reason I'd be interested in getting involved.

I'm only 21 myself so would be looking to ref under 21's and minors probably and definitely football.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the responses, based in Donegal(weekends/outside of college time) and Kildare(weekdays) so could probably do the course in either.

Found out from this article that the Donegal Referee Administrator is Frankie Doherty so can get in touch with him tomorrow. Donegal Democrat

The shortage mentioned is half the reason I'd be interested in getting involved.

I'm only 21 myself so would be looking to ref under 21's and minors probably and definitely football.

If you are only 21, I'd stay away from your own age - begin at under 12/14/16 - much easier to keep them in control than minors or 21's as they'd prob be too close to your own age. I'm 20, but I wouldn't referee past 16 at the moment, find it easier to control when you are a few years older, more respect as well. Personally I find football much harder to do, find camogie and hurling much easier. Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on in contacting that guy!

Dublin CCC are one of the best in the country, I'd completely agree about it being much easier if you have been involved already, though there are some technical rules that you may never have heard of! Normally there is a review night every year as well, that my experience with the ladies football!

LeoB, hurling or football? Which did u find easier to ref?

Football only. I refereed Senior Football and was just about ready for inter county, having done some Leinster juvenile games, an All-Ireland feile fina and linesman at 3 N.F.L games but for family reasons (minding relative) had to cut back. I really enjoyed it.

I refereed 2 hurling games and fck up in both, nothing major but having only parish hurling I was not experienced enough in the ins and outs of the game. I feel Hurlers should only be let referee hurling there are sides to it that I feel unless you have played you wont understand where as anyone with a bit of knowledge can referee football.

What County are you in Rebel Girl, or should I ask????

Football only. I refereed Senior Football and was just about ready for inter county, having done some Leinster juvenile games, an All-Ireland feile fina and linesman at 3 N.F.L games but for family reasons (minding relative) had to cut back. I really enjoyed it.

I refereed 2 hurling games and fck up in both, nothing major but having only parish hurling I was not experienced enough in the ins and outs of the game. I feel Hurlers should only be let referee hurling there are sides to it that I feel unless you have played you wont understand where as anyone with a bit of knowledge can referee football.

Do u really have to ask??? :D Cork!

I played camogie for 4/5 years, football for longer but find camogie easier at all levels. When football is A grade it is much easier as the players are good skill wise and play the ball rather than the girl (in my case!). Second year refereeing, last year ended up refereeing a camogie county semi under 12, football county quarter final under 12, did a mini game at half time in the All Ireland ladies football finals, ended up doing the line for the senior county final (football) and a line at a national football game this year! Very few ladies refereeing in Cork, think the number is up to about four at the moment, must check the list

I'd still run over the rules of the game before every match, just back refereeing after a bit of a health scare, but finding it hard to juggle everything, coaching under 14 and 16's, co-ordinating the junior team, refereeing, club admin, and stuff! Out every night of the week! I love refereeing a good game, that has good skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

What club RG/LF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

i refereed up until last year had to give it up with work and the kids.im only 26 now and was at it since i was 18.first year i only done kids games worked up to doing an u21 c final and junior d championship finals here in meath.when the kids get a bit older and i can spare more time ill probably go back as much as i got nervous before a game i loved it once i was on the pitch.

for the OP the advice id have is be fit,which at 21 shouldnt be a problem,communicate with the players as an equal dont talk down to them and above all dont be afraid to make the hard call if its the right one.in that u21 final i done i sent off the captain of the losing team in the first half because as he ran away from his man with the ball he swung back and elbowed his man in the jaw.i thought at first i had been harsh but the next day i get a phonecall to report that the chap that got the elbow had a fractured jaw so you can imagine how bad i wouldve felt if i hadnt have sent the man off.

sorry for the rambling just great to see someone interested in taking up refereeing instead of just moaning about it

Orizio wrote: »
    Jaysus.

Thought maybe she came up to the capital.... for a bit of culture;). A Few "Dubs" are very proud of their roots.

Do u really have to ask??? :D Cork!

I'd still run over the rules of the game before every match, just back refereeing after a bit of a health scare, but finding it hard to juggle everything, coaching under 14 and 16's, co-ordinating the junior team, refereeing, club admin, and stuff! Out every night of the week! I love refereeing a good game, that has good skill.

I will print this part of your reply for my wife. Will reply in detail later. Off to coaching now

rpurfield wrote: »
    i refereed up until last year had to give it up with work and the kids.im only 26 now and was at it since i was 18.first year i only done kids games worked up to doing an u21 c final and junior d championship finals here in meath.when the kids get a bit older and i can spare more time ill probably go back as much as i got nervous before a game i loved it once i was on the pitch.

for the OP the advice id have is be fit,which at 21 shouldnt be a problem,communicate with the players as an equal dont talk down to them and above all dont be afraid to make the hard call if its the right one.in that u21 final i done i sent off the captain of the losing team in the first half because as he ran away from his man with the ball he swung back and elbowed his man in the jaw.i thought at first i had been harsh but the next day i get a phonecall to report that the chap that got the elbow had a fractured jaw so you can imagine how bad i wouldve felt if i hadnt have sent the man off.

sorry for the rambling just great to see someone interested in taking up refereeing instead of just moaning about it

Done with intent, it is a striking offence, so a straight red, no questions. I completely agree about being fit and also making the hard decisions. I know with the ladies refereeing in Cork, there were 12 new girls that qualified, but will have a games assessor at all of their first few games, to basically protect them. These are 16/17 year olds, but will be protected. Plus I'm one of the younger refs, and I've had a number of refs come up to me and say that any game that I think may be dodgy, give them a ring and they'll come and do umpire - helps that someone there you know!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Gave the Donegal Ref administrator a call today and he was very helpful, said I'm best to get in touch with my local club (Buncrana) and gave me the names of who to get in touch with there as they'll sort out getting me to the course which they'll be organising soon enough once they finalise details at the county board meeting next week. Only trouble is the course will be in Ballybofey he reckoned so might look into doing it in Derry city if possible.

Gave the Donegal Ref administrator a call today and he was very helpful, said I'm best to get in touch with my local club (Buncrana) and gave me the names of who to get in touch with there as they'll sort out getting me to the course which they'll be organising soon enough once they finalise details at the county board meeting next week. Only trouble is the course will be in Ballybofey he reckoned so might look into doing it in Derry city if possible.

Well done - good start anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wool

Reckon being a referee is a bit of a thankless job, have respect for the men / women in black though....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

Anyone doing the referee course starting tonight in Dublin??

Advertisement