Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish airspace to close from 7am 4 May 2010

• 03-05-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) has said Irish airspace will close from 7am tomorrow morning because of an ash cloud drifting down from Iceland.
    The decision will be reviewed at 1pm tomorrow.
    View the current VAAC projections
    Advertisement

Intending passengers are advised to check their airlines' websites for more information.
    Donegal Airport has already closed, and two Aer Arann flights have been cancelled: Dublin to Donegal, due in at 8:20pm, and the 8am Donegal to Dublin flight tomorrow.
    * All other airports remain open and there is no other flight disruption yet.
    Over-flights of Ireland from the UK and Europe are not expected to be impacted tomorrow and southern UK Airports are not expected to be impacted. Flights originating from Irish airports may be affected.
    Earlier, Eamon Brennan, IAA chief executive, said winds had already pushed part of the volcanic ash cloud down over part of the centre of Ireland.
    'The latest information we have is that some of the denser volcanic ash, that's the no-fly zone, is over the Donegal area and we are concerned about the north-easterly winds moving this down over the rest of the country,' he told RTÉ radio.
    'At the moment we have a slither of denser ash over the midlands and if this continues for the next number of hours we have no option, based on the new regime imposed in Europe last week, except to impose a no-fly zone and a 60-mile buffer zone which would effectively close Shannon and Dublin airports.'
    'We expect all flights this evening to continue as normal except we expect Donegal airport to close early,' he added.
    'All other airports in the Republic will operate as normal right in to tonight.'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bugger. Supposed to be flying out on Saturday .. let's hope it blows over before then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

I'm due to fly to London at 12 tomorrow. If the restrictions are lifted at 1 do you reckon I will be accomodated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

:eek::eek::eek:God only knows glaston!!! Load of balls really!! If you flight is at 6:30am will people still get away ! How long is this gonna go on for!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I thought someone was taking he piss when i seen the title! Cant believe this is happening again

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    I thought someone was taking he piss when i seen the title! Cant believe this is happening again

Davy no one ever takes the piss on boards.ie:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

CityJet have cancelled all filghts between DUB and LCY tomorrow. I think this is a bit premature, but we'll see.

Update: they've changed that page now to say that only some flights are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

That's it, we're all doomed. No flights until they do some tests at 9.30 tomorrow and even then they might say no for re-open at 1. Now I have to deal with a hormonal girlfriend whose mother can't fly in tomorrow. Iceland? Fecking Iceland. Seemed so harmless and futile out in the middle of nowhere. Just auld Iceland, a few seals here, a glacier there, but no. First the banking, now a sneaky volcano rape? Why do I have an image of a volcano with a smug grin on its face? I say we all grab some oars and row this little country down towards Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Arpa wrote: »
    That's it, we're all doomed. No flights until they do some tests at 9.30 tomorrow and even then they might say no for re-open at 1. Now I have to deal with a hormonal girlfriend whose mother can't fly in tomorrow. Iceland? Fecking Iceland. Seemed so harmless and futile out in the middle of nowhere. Just auld Iceland, a few seals here, a glacier there, but no. First the banking, now a sneaky volcano rape? Why do I have an image of a volcano with a smug grin on its face? I say we all grab some oars and row this little country down towards Spain.

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

best post ive seen in a long time! keep it up! welcome to boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

gally74 wrote: »
    best post ive seen in a long time! keep it up! welcome to boards
    Member since 2007!

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Member since 2007!

He only comments on volcanic issues!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Any updates on this. Supposed to be heading to the canaries in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Thanks go the op for posting. We can't get any info online or through aer lingus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

You, sir, are a hero. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Breezer wrote: »
    You, sir, are a hero. :D

Thank you. Seems my rant stirred some hearts. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

My cunning way around this was to get a sailrail from Rosslaire via Fishguard.

Please could someone give me the name of the joker at Irish Rail who plans the trains to get in either 4 hours before the ferry, or 15 minutes after it leaves?

And the Rosslaire line is losing money why exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Guys does anyone know the status of flights into Ireland, specifically a direct one from Abu Dhabi!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Flying on sat morning, it's looking grim.

funkyflea wrote: »
    Flying on sat morning, it's looking grim.

Its looking good now airspace could be open at 4am for Dublin for how long is another thing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

The Sunway 50 from Fuerteventura dubbed 'the ash cloud 50' landed at 0045 this morning. Five days late!!

I have to say we were treated very well, being put up half board at a 3* place near the airport.

Advertisement