Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - I need to correct a white wine sauce

Options
  • 03-05-2010 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I made a big batch of white wine sauce at the weekend (holy communion coming up...) but there is too much of a sharp wine taste off it. Does anyone know how I can correct this? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved to Cooking & Recipes. You'll probably get more help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

What are you using the white sauce in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clairey Marey

I just made the sauce (big batch) and I'm going to add the chicken on the day - chicken in a white wine sauce. (Also has onions, carrots, celery)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

I'm not too sure why you chose to make the sauce so far in advance.
    I think it'd be much nicer made freshly on teh day and it's no hassle at all to make.

How did you make it?

Why not add more cream or creme frache to counteract the sharpness of the wine?

I would add more cream or milk to it. You could also try camalising your onions before you put it in. I would also put in fresh herbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

What's the recipe?

I would suggest re-boiling it to evaporate the alcohol off, but if there's dairy in there already it will split. Salt counteracts bitterness/acidity, so you could try adding some in to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

You probably did not cook the wine off fully too get rid off the alcohol and acidity,a bit of sugar should help,and maybe a stock cube for added flavor if you dont mind the msg.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd cook the wine off, and replace the lost liquid with cream/milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bennm521

tbh you should cut your losses and get rid of that sauce,

for a nice white wine sauce
    gently fry 1 cup finely diced onion with some butter just until soft.

then pour 1 cup of white wine over the onions, allow to simmer untill the wine is almost gone.

add two cups of chicken stock, and enough cream as needed to turn your sauce white as the chicken stock can vary in coulor.

bring back to boil, meanwhile mix a spoon of cornflour with some milk and whisk it into your sauce to thicken.

for an extra dimention you can add some mushrooms when your adding the stock and cream. dont fry them as they will turn brown.

How did the sauce turn out in the end?

• Advertisement
Advertisement