Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volcanic ash cloud over Donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep those grey clouds look pretty ash-ey to me !

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Very little happening overhead it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

muffler wrote: »
    Very little happening overhead it seems

Thats pretty cool, i didnt know you could find things like that on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its a very handy site especially for those days where you see about 20 planes pass over in the space of an hour or 2. Only problem is that a lot of them would be military (returning home after tour of duty in Iraq etc) and they may not show up

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FJFF

I've been usin' http://www.flightradar24.com/ to monitor this stuff, been flying quite alot recently :(.

Anyone had any ash on their cars etc overnight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I live near work so I don't drive in but I noticed ash on my car when I came home there at 7pm. Dunno when it landed there though, but the hills over around rathmullan are very hard to see right now even though they're only around 3 miles away, and its been getting progressively worse since around lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Odd; our collie went crazy early yesterday morning. She is severely thunder phobic and her behaviour as if there was thunder.

There was none; wondered later if she smelled eg sulphur and that was what set her off? She settled after a wee while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

http://m.box.net/view_shared/7uslrd8p1o

Excellent song by Lifford guy about volcano. Request it on Highland Radio if you like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FJFF

Excellent song, nice to get some humour out of this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Did anyone get the strange smell in the air yesterday morning. It was sulphur like, but fairly faint.

I got it in Ramelton and again up at the Mountain Top in Letterkenny and in Lifford. One of the workmates got it in Bloody Foreland too. Then when the rain stopped, the smell gradually lifted.

Could it have been the ash being brought down by the rain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

well im living down here in loughrea, Galway and there was a nice layer of ash on the car this morning. didnt look like it rained last night either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Loughray? Bloody hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

ah it gets an unfair reputation, its not a bad wee town :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Odd; our collie went crazy early yesterday morning. She is severely thunder phobic and her behaviour as if there was thunder.

There was none; wondered later if she smelled eg sulphur and that was what set her off? She settled after a wee while.

Amendment.. 'twas the ?gunfire? crowbangers? set her off....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Rain today left car covered in the stuff. Remember once again don't rub it off. Use a hose !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BikingChick

Has anyone noticed any traces on beaches? While at the top of the fort at Dunree taking a picture of the beach below, I saw 2 black lines along the beach and you could see black sediment under the water too. I thought for a second it may have been oil. When I went to the beach and lifted some sand, there were fine black particles mixed in among it. A friend on mine on vacation identified it as basalt, as the beaches where he lives are black and mostly pebbles. Only 2 days previously, there was a distinct "haze" in town & a friend of mine was really badly affected with his asthma, which is unusual in dry, warm weather. The haze definitely wasn't mist or fog, and the ash cloud was said to be over the northwest of Ireland at the time. Visibility was especially poor that day, with a grey blanket of cloud over the whole sky. Strange..!

Advertisement