Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pros and Cons of Using A 32" TV As A PC Monitor:

Options
  • 03-05-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 32" television for use as my main PC monitor and I'd be grateful for any advice \ feedback that you might have to impart.

My plan is to use the TV at it's native resolution of 1920 X 1080 for FPS gaming and (perhaps) use a lower resolution for day-to-day computing including some software development.

Any time I've seen a PC hooked up to a HD telly in a shop the picture has been sort of watery and seemed to be slightly out of focus. I believe the reasons for this are [A] Using VGA to VGA instead of using DVI to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI, and The PC's graphics card was set to a lower than native resolution and possibly an incorrect aspect ratio for the TV.

If I go native as in screen resolution and DVI \ HDMI will I be a happy gamer? I'd like to hear from anyone who has a similar set-up.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Be sure to see the exact model in action before you buy. DID Electrical or the like wont tell you the response time and AFAIK sites dont either. That motion blur that is annoying for sports on TV is a nightmare for FPS.

Also, a 32" tv isnt going to be very green:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Thanks for the quick reply, Lethal Bullet.

The TV in question is an LG LH3000, it has a response time of 5 milliseconds.
    There is a 34-page mega thread on avforums.com here -> http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-owners-forum/915414-official-lg-lh3000-lcd-thread.html

Almost all the posters in the thread who've bought it are very pleased with it.

By downgrading the television's firmware to 3.15 service settings can be accessed that enable playback of full 1080P *.mkv's, as well as *.avi's, etc from a flash stick plugged into the TV's USB slot. Once the settings are enabled you can upgrade to the latest firmware again. Obviously this voids the warranty, but as they say "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The_Thing wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 32" television for use as my main PC monitor and I'd be grateful for any advice \ feedback that you might have to impart.

My plan is to use the TV at it's native resolution of 1920 X 1080 for FPS gaming and (perhaps) use a lower resolution for day-to-day computing including some software development.

Any time I've seen a PC hooked up to a HD telly in a shop the picture has been sort of watery and seemed to be slightly out of focus. I believe the reasons for this are [A] Using VGA to VGA instead of using DVI to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI, and The PC's graphics card was set to a lower than native resolution and possibly an incorrect aspect ratio for the TV.

If I go native as in screen resolution and DVI \ HDMI will I be a happy gamer? I'd like to hear from anyone who has a similar set-up.

Thanks.

Would you be able to use a screen when it was out of focus especially when reading lots of text like writing code? I know I wouldn't. Using native resolution will sort the blurred issue. One thing I have noticed with some tvs is that videos look fine over HDMI but normal computer use doesn't. Text and colours just look off. When using the DVI input on the tv normal computer use is fine. I've been meaning to look into it properly but never got around to it. Very weird. If I were you I'd definitely try using the tv hooked up to a computer before you buy it. Most stores shouldn't have a problem letting you check it on their display model.

If I was using a 32" TV for normal computer use I would be wanting a higher resolution than 1080p but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Thanks, Almighty.
    One thing I have noticed with some tvs is that videos look fine over HDMI but normal computer use doesn't.

I've read down through most of the pages in the thread I linked to in my second post and some people there have said that the reason for this is that the TV turns off any extra signal processing when input is via VGA. This is the exact opposite of what I assumed -it appears to be the case that a better image is to be had on tv's when connecting a PC via VGA or DVI as opposed to HDMI.

Earlier tonight I connected my HP Netbook up to a 22 inch LG telly via VGA and I was able to bump up the resolution to a maximum of 1680 X 1050 and I did not experience the blurry imaging I mentioned. I also checked out 1440 X 900 as this is my 19" monitor's native resolution and again I didn't notice any problems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One thing I have noticed with some tvs is that videos look fine over HDMI but normal computer use doesn't. Text and colours just look off. When using the DVI input on the tv normal computer use is fine. I've been meaning to look into it properly but never got around to it. Very weird.

OK I've looked into this and managed to fix it.

I found a post on this thread (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267972-33-1080-hdmi-hdmi-connected-quality) that sorted it:
    I had the exact same problem with my 37" samsung Series 5 1080p HDTV. Here is how I solved it!!!!!!!

While the TV is in the HDMI input go into the TV's menu select "input" ---->"Edit Name"--->set the HDMI1/DVI mode to PC. This instantly made my TV screen as good as a PC monitor!

hope this Helps

I've done this on my Samsung 40" and it instantly made it look a hell of a lot better. Don't know why it works and I don't care I'm just happy it does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I HAVE A SAMSUNG 32 inch hdtv, the manual says set the pc refresh rate 2 60mhz.Has your pc got vga in, if so read the manual ,re pc input, supported resolutions.IF this is for webrowsing try 1024x768 first.USE a vga to vga cable.I BELIEVE vga is better for pcs,to tv.Has your pc got hdmi out.
    Most hdtvs have 3 specific pc input resolutions.
    Your pc res may be set too high for that tv.
    hdmi is designed for xboxs, av players, blueray units, which are already setup for hdtvs,ie they output standard hd signals at standard refresh rates.THATS why vga looks better from pc2tv if the res/refresh rate settting is supported by the tv you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭user3

OK I've looked into this and managed to fix it.

I found a post on this thread (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267972-33-1080-hdmi-hdmi-connected-quality) that sorted it:

I've done this on my Samsung 40" and it instantly made it look a hell of a lot better. Don't know why it works and I don't care I'm just happy it does.
    I have 22'' LCD TV and the image looks out of focus whenever I connect my pc to tv over the hdmi cable. But I don't have that option to change the input on my tv. What should I do? Maybe try dvi to dvi cable.. would that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Unless the TV is far enough away, the image is not going to look very sharp. Dell sell 17" laptops that feature 1920*1080 screen resolution. Be sure the pixels don't look too 'big' when at the distance you intend viewing from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You cannot really compare, both have completely different purpose, a tv is designed to be looked at 6-10 feet away where with a monitor its 10-12 inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I replaced my 24" monitor with a 32" AOC TV. I was worried initially, especially having been using/gaming at high res for years. The image quality is actually really good, far better quality than I expected. It's connected with VGA/HDMI (depends on whether I'm using HDMI for something else at the time) and both are sharp and precise. For general browsing and media it's perfect, for games I play at 720p and AA/AF the crap out of it - looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

I have an HTPC on a sony bravia 32". No blurring of text at normal reading distance. Then again I don't spend a lot of time using it for text. Response time is good enough for HD films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Doroteo

You'll get huge letters but not really a better resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I have two PCs connected to my Sony 32W4000 and they both work great. I play games, watch downloaded TV shows and HD content, including HD DVD and Blu-ray, without issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I Find it fine for games and dvds , never tried it on the internet.

Advertisement