Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gearing

• 03-05-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭

Have 53/39 11/23.

Tough on hills, what's my options cassette wise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

12-27 is about as easy as you can get afaik, or 12-25, or you could go compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

11-28 assuming 10spd Shimano *should* allow you to cycle up the North face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In races my cadence averages 90-95rpm and never drops below 75rpm, so this must be the fastest/least tiring range for me.

I did some gearing experimentation on Saturday by taking my race bike with a 12-23 to a hilly Wicklow ride. Not having lots of gears I was sometimes forced to climb in the 39x23 at much lower cadence than I naturally select. I was occasionally dropping to 50rpm. Whatever about potential future knee problems, it felt pretty unpleasant.

I reckon for non-racing purposes you can afford to lose 10rpm because the intensity is lower, which means 65rpm is a sensible minimum for me.

Unfortunately this means I should probably be using a 39-30 or 34-26 for hilly non-racing spins.

So I think I'll stick with compact 12-25 for non-racing use until (if) I get much faster.

Not sure if this helps your question, but thought I'd share anyway.

I do think that 12-27 is annoying gappy so 12-25 would be better if you can get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Lumen wrote: »

I do think that 12-27 is annoying gappy so 12-25 would be better if you can get away with it.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Can one of you guys tell me what xx-xx is usually found on a standard 8-speed double? :o And how I measure it? I'm still new to all this ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Plastik wrote: »
    Can one of you guys tell me what xx-xx is usually found on a standard 8-speed double? :o And how I measure it? I'm still new to all this ...

It's usually written on the rings. Standards usually have 52 or 53 on the big ring and 39 (or 42 on older sets) on the inner ring. If it's not written on the rings just count the teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A double chainset is typically 53/39 while a compact double is 50/34. The typical 8sp cassette would be 12-27 or thereabouts.
    kerryscoob wrote:
    Have 53/39

Tough on hills
    52/39/30...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

12/25 it is then.

Advertisement