Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking young

• 03-05-2010 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

you know those people who look nearly 10 years younger than their actual age NATURALLY without any surgery etc.. i have a friend who's 26 and people always think she's 21! people also guessed she was 19 before..

my question is.. does it follow that this same girl will look young at 35/40/50? or is it totally unrelated? like people always tell her shes lucky but WILL she be lucky in 10/20 yrs? any one know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I don't think there is anyway of predicting how old your friend will look in
    ten years although it's very unlikely when she is 36 she will pass for
    someone in their mid twenties. I think some people look youthful for their
    age but personally you can always tell their age, A 20 year old and a 30 year old
    will always look different but it doesn't mean the woman 30 or 40 wont look good
    for their age, The important thing is to take care of yourself and dress for your age
    as you get older. Honestly OP I think your worrying to much ageing is apart of
    life and lots of women look great as they age.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am 35 and no ever believes it, they think i am in my mid 20's - so it is quite possible that your friend will always look younger then her real age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Some people do look youthful all their lives but other age "a decade in a day" iykwim. No way of knowing how you'll end up although you could compare yourself to older female relatives for an idea.

Imho, obsession with ageing is tiresome - accept the age you are, dress well and you will look good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Well it all comes down to their DNA mainly and being healthy. My mom looks about 10 years if not 15 years younger then she is. And people fall off chairs when friends bring up my "age"...i am 29 and they think I am 21.

People who do not smoke look younger, whereas smoking really ages people. If you are 30 or above, smoking usually adds about 5 years at least onto most of them (my opinion). Of course drinking too much alcohol is going to take its toll as well.

So it really is based on being healthy, exercise and drinking plenty of water/juices.

Alot of people who look younger in their 30s is because they suffered from acne in teenage years and had very oily skin, which helps to keep the wrinkles away in later life...I suppose its our reward for suffering during teenage years, we get pay back rewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭thefireinside

Apparently alot of it is down to how 'baby-faced' your features are, like softer faces will look younger for longer... I just read about it in an article relating to celebs; like leo dicaprio will always remain youthful looking apparently cos he's baby-faced..

Wear sun screen. All the time, all seasons.

As regards to the smoking thing; I know theres probably some science behind it and all that but in my own experience, the few regular smokers I know that are in their 50s/60s spent the last 20 yrs looking younger than others their age, and its only now in the last cpl yrs that its catching up with them but I suppose its different for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

IMO, if you look after yourself, a good skincare regime, avoid the sun, watch your weight, exercise regularly and dress to suit your shape while keeping your wardrobe up to date then you should look pretty good no matter what age you are.

Smoking, being overweight and too much sun probably are the most ageing things.

Alot of women in their mid 30's+ in Ireland pile on the weight and dress like they're teenagers which ages them. Irish women 40+ tend to get their hair chopped off and for the rest of their lives wear that hideous Irish mammy haircut which is dry and brittle from being over dyed. Then they shop in 'country town boutiques' that sell boring, old fashioned clothes.

I'm always warning my mother to avoid that type of clothes as she easily looks 10 years younger when she buys more modern clothes from m&s or somewhere. I'm now trying to convince her to let her hair grow a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Apparently alot of it is down to how 'baby-faced' your features are, like softer faces will look younger for longer... I just read about it in an article relating to celebs; like leo dicaprio will always remain youthful looking apparently cos he's baby-faced..

Wear sun screen. All the time, all seasons.

As regards to the smoking thing; I know theres probably some science behind it and all that but in my own experience, the few regular smokers I know that are in their 50s/60s spent the last 20 yrs looking younger than others their age, and its only now in the last cpl yrs that its catching up with them but I suppose its different for everyone.

I disagree, the ex boyfriends I had who were smokers, despite only being 2 years older then me, could have past for 40...and their mothers who were same age as my mother looked about 65 instead of 50. Smoking really really makes you age so quick. So many wrinkles, especially around the mouth, eyes and forehead...if you are a smoker and want to look younger...the only thing to do is give them up. Not only will you look better on the outside, it will help your insides too.

As they say...you are what you eat ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I look younger than I am too but I think it's luck up to a certain point and then lifestyle factors start to kick in once you reach a certain age. I reckon smoking and sun exposure are the biggies though very few people get away with these and looking young longterm.

Being fat seems to make you look younger too and being fuller faced where your cheekbones are more prominent if that makes sense.

Having said that looking young has big disadvantages professionally, at work I'd love to look a few years older than I am. I'm constantly asked if I am qualified and hate this:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Gotta say i hate been baby faced & looking younger than my age- i am sure i will appreciate at some stage! i am also petite which adds to the young look. Agree with the previous poster about work, people tend to give me a second look when an older colleague will refer them to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i'm 25 and always get carded, and people always think i look younger. it certainly hasn't anything to do with a good diet and excercise for me! [though i've neverrr smoked].
    i think it's as much to do with how i dress and stuff. i dont wear that much makeup, any jewellery or hairclips are always "cute" rather than grown up looking, i like to wear dresses and bright colours.

who knows how my skin will age over the next ten/twenty years, but i do feel i'll always look a bit younger than i am just from how i dress/present myself.

it's strange alright though, i have a friend who turned 30 who passes for 18 easy. and then i see girls around who are younger than me but because of their makeup and outfits could pass for late twenties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

yeh i look really young for my age and so do my sisters, my mam and my aunties so i dont think il ever look my age!! :)

i think people can be really weird when it comes to looking your age or not, a few times people have said 'oh my god i would have put you at 17' or 'you look like your just out of school' in a really insulting/sneery voice as if they're trying to offend me!!! its weird, people care more about how i look than i do!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Stress and worry also age the skin and cause a lot of illnesses, physical and mental. Maybe you should just take care of your self and stop worrying about age and looks so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I am almost 27. Everytime I get asked for ID it causes a massive scene when they see my passport- usually with a barman bringing all the other staff over to marvel at how old I actually am. General consensus seems to place me anywhere from 14 - 19. Mainly people say 16/17.

I have been stopped in airports when flying alone to be asked where my accompanying adult is because they have thought I am 14.

To be honest, I really don't think I look that young - but definitely could easily pass for 19. Put a school uniform on me and I probably wouldn't look out of place along with 16 year olds.

This comes down to a few things though. The clothes I wear are quite young, my skin is very young looking (despite years of smoking and sun exposure) and I don't wear make-up. But generally I think I just have a young face and don't think anything would make a difference to that at the moment. It is in the genes too though. All the women on my mother's side of the family could easily pass for ten years younger at any given time and none of them acts/dresses like the traditional Irish mammy.

I am pretty sure that when I am in my 30s I will probably still pass for mid-twenties. Am quite excited to see how long the ID checking keeps going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

A few things mentioned on here already:

-It is definitely true that you can age literally overnight - people in your 20s, once you hit 30s, you will start to notice wrinkles/skin changing etc. Its inevitable no matter how much sunscreen, no smoking etc. So while its all fine and dandy saying in your 20s you are mistaken for teenagers (as I once was :D), this will not happen in your 30s. It is a biological process you cannot stop - for some it is something you need to get your head around.

- Second, I agree with one of the posters about the "irish mammy" hair style. I too have noticed this - cut it short and then dye the **** out of it.

- If you are one of these people who thinks they look younger etc and the day you do find wrinkles/skin changing, see the end of the first point above.

Advertisement