Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you up for a challange?

Options
  • 03-05-2010 10:43pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Electrician, Engineer, Tradesperson or DIYer, whatever you are:

What about a real challenge with some adventure?

Like many of the people that post here I have all of the normal pressures recessionary pressures with job security, a child, bills to pay etc. However I have realised that compared to many I don’t have any serious problems and perhaps it was time that I did something to put my life into perspective. I decided that I should do some voluntary work for a charity in one of the world’s “hot spots”, but I did not know where I wanted to go. Then on January 12 last an earthquake measuring 7.0 hit Haiti's capital of Port au Prince. According to the Haiti government 230,000 people were killed, and a further 1.3 million people were left homeless. It was then that I started to hear about Haven. They organise volunteers to build houses in Haiti.

I went to Havn's information evening in Dublin and was shocked by the statistics we were presented with (provided by the UN). It then got worse, we were told that these figures were before the earthquake, it is now much worse and they have not had the resources to compile more up to date statistics.

Haven is an Irish charity started in 2008 by the co-founder of the Digicel mobile phone company, Leslie Buckley. To kick it off he made a personal donation of €1,000,000. He has done fantastic work over there for no personal gain and secured many generous donations through his business connections. One of the things that appealed to me about this charity is that they are very good at maximising the benefit from each donation. For example when my employer kindly donated €500 they promptly received a letter stating that the administration charges for processing this would be free. To keep costs down accommodation for volunteers is provided by tents and food will be prepared by volunteers under the direction of an ex army chef. The food will sustain you, but the Ritz it is not we were told! There was a recent documentary on RTE about Gorge Hook’s experiences there with Haven.

So if you have are looking for adventure particularly if you have a trade why not give it a go? People that have gone describe it as a “life changing experience” and talk of the “friends for life “ they have made. It is just one week of your time and it really can make a difference. Work starts at 5am and stops in the middle of the day for a few hours due to the extreme temperatures and then continues until late. All you have to do is raise €4,500. Although this seemed daunting to me (particularly during a recession) it is not as hard as it sounds. I raised over €4,000 simply by sending the same email to everyone in my address book. The high profile that Haiti has “enjoyed” in the media has helped enormously. I have now over €5,000 and donations are still coming in and I don’t head out until October. Already I have met some fantastic people as result of getting involved at such a small level. The good news: 300 volunteers have just arrived back and the word on the street is that they have met their target of building 60 houses!

Special thanks to a very a generous person that posts on the Electrical forum on a regular basis. He donated €1,000 to “my” Haven account despite the fact that he only knows me through emails and PMs. People like that have really restored my faith in humanity.

I don’t doubt that this will change my outlook on life forever.

Build it Week

George Hook in Haiti with Haven

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That's brilliant. Well done.

You should drop Dav or Darragh a PM, they maybe able to help out with some promotion on the site, an announcement or sticky etc.

And that's very heartening for the user who donated so generously. Take a bow, whoever you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

this is great stuff 2011.

I hope some of the people you have helped here will remember it and dip in, times are difficult but the situation over there adds a little perspective to things. I'm sure some of the regular users will add something, I will anyway.

I assume that people can drop you a PM so that they can put the donation against your profile, or is that not an issue?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Stoner wrote: »

I assume that people can drop you a PM so that they can put the donation against your profile, or is that not an issue?

that would be great, thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Well I was due to fly on to Haiti on Saturday the 30th of October, then disaster struck!! Due to an outbreak of Cholera that has left hundreds dead and thousands infected Haven were forced to cancel on the 27th, just a few days before our departure.

Thanks to all that donated during these tough recessionary times. I guess Irelands problems pale into insignificance compared to those that are suffering in Haiti.
    I am now due to travel in May 2011.
    They now need help more than ever.

Here is the letter they sent out to all of the volunteers:

Dear 2011

Following up on our recent correspondence regarding the cancellation of both Build it Weeks we would like to provide you with a Q&A Document below in advance of the debriefing meetings next week.

As you are aware, we have scheduled three meetings in Cork, Dublin and Galway, to further respond to your queries. We would be very grateful if you would take the time to come out and meet us, to listen to our presentation, and to ask us any questions that you may feel are, as yet, unanswered.

The details of the meetings are as follows:

Mon 15th, Nov Cork 7pm - Metropole Hotel, Mac Curtain Street
    Tues 16th, Nov Galway 7pm - Carlton Hotel, Dublin Road
    Wed 17th, Nov Dublin 7pm - Davenport Hotel, off Merrion Sq. North

We very much regretted having to cancel both events and fully understand how disappointing it was, but with the unfortunate incidence of Cholera that is still on the increase we had very little choice. The health and safety of our volunteers is always our priority.

We appreciate that there is a lot of uncertainty at the moment regarding your funds and your next trip therefore we are doing our utmost to answer all your questions as soon and as thoroughly as possible. Haven has incurred significant un refundable costs, but have been working continuously to negotiate with all other suppliers including the airline carrier in an attempt to get refunds and credits towards the next Build it Week wherever possible.

We have tried to anticipate all your questions, but if you have any further queries we would be delighted to answer them at the information meeting next week. Also you can call the office at anytime and speak to one of our staff members.

Again thank you so much for your continued support and we look forward to meeting up with you next week.

Kind regards,

Q&A Document

Q1 What Has your Money been spent on thus far?

Your funds to date have been spent on flights, food, in country transport, construction materials for houses in Gonaives, local labour, fundraising materials and logistics, site up & Administration.

Q2. Was Haven covered by Insurance?

Haven does have insurance which covers volunteer accidents or illness, public liability for the organisation and payment protection in case of the airline going bust. The reason we could not make an insurance claim from the airline was because Haven chose to cancel the trip but the airline was prepared to fly.

Q3 How much did the Food cost and what did Haven do with this food?

The food & water was already purchased for €50,606. Thankfully we were able to distribute it amongst the beneficiaries living on Mont Blanc in Gonaives and a Children’s Haitian charity known as Haiti Athletique, a well known and reputable children’s charity who also work in Gonaives. It is great to know that the beneficiaries were able to benefit.

Q4 Do I need to raise more funds if I want to travel on the next Build it Week?

Yes. Haven did its utmost to reduce the amount of funds that you will need to raise again, but to travel next year with Build it Week you will need to raise €1500 to cover non-refundable and non reusable goods.

Haven will provide a breakdown of these costs at the information meeting next week.

Q5 If I raised over the €4,500, do I still need to raise €1,500?

This will depend on the amount of money you have raised to date.

For Example if you have raised €4,800 you will now only need to raise €1200.
    If you raised €6,000 you do NOT need to raise any further funds.

At the presentation briefings there will be a tailored personalised letter for each individual explaining exactly how much you need to raise

Q6 When will the next trip take place?

The next trip will be May 2011. Pending the number of volunteers who confirm, we are hoping to run 2 Build it Weeks back to back. The following are the tentative dates

Week 1: May 7th - May 14th 2011

Week 2: May 14th- May 21st 2011

NB: THESE DATES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Q7: Where will the next Build it Week be?

Haven will hold the next Build it Week in Gonaives where we plan to complete all the houses and community facilities that were originally supposed to be completed in November 2010. This site is already in progress with houses being built for the beneficiaries.

Q8 When do I need to commit to the May Build it Weeks and do I need to pay another deposit?

By December 1st, 2010. A €200 deposit will be required to confirm your place.

Q9 When do I need to have all my funds in by?

March 31st 2011.

Q10 If I cannot go in May can I forward my funds to October 2011?

Yes but you will still need to raise the €1500.

Q11 If I do not want to travel again with Haven can I get all my money back?

We regret that we cannot refund your donation as this was raised for Haven and its housing development programmes in Haiti. We can guarantee you that your funds will be used for our programmes in Gonaives and that the houses that were originally meant to be built will be completed as planned.

Once completed Haven will send you a short report and photographs to illustrate how your funds were spent.

Q12 What happens if Cholera is still in Haiti next May; Will we still travel?

If Cholera is still present next May, Haven is hoping to still travel pending authorization from UN and logistical access to Gonaives. It will be possible for all volunteers to be vaccinated against Cholera this time around. This was not possible on this trip as there was not sufficient time since you require 2 doses of the vaccination over a period of 1-6 weeks. Additionally volunteers should not be exposed to the infection for at least a week after the course of 2 doses is given

The build it week finally happened. For me the experience was incredible and quite emotional. There are many things that I saw that I will never forget.

P1030713.jpg
    Our first view of Haiti's capital Port-au-Prince.

DSCF0249.jpg
    Typical scene in Gonaives our most local city. It did not suffer from the 2010 earth quake. The city has been like this since it was devastated by a hurricane in 2008.

P1030837.jpg
    A shop in Gonaive.

P1030823.jpg
    Another shop in Gonaive.

DSCF0237.jpg
    This is where some of the beneficiaries have been living. They moved into their new houses as we flew home.

P1040019.jpg
    Haiti is one of the most dangerous countries in the world. Armed security was required at all times.

P1040006.jpg
    Some guards took security more seriously than others....

P1030887.jpg
    But they all like to pose!

P1030928.jpg
    The community centre being built.

P1040089.jpg
    When the community centre was finished.

P1030943.jpg
    Some very hungry young children that live (or should I say survive) near by. A few of us took a trip to bring them some food and water. You can see a haunted look in their eyes.

P1030951.jpg
    Their younger sister is buried beside them.

DSCF0310.jpg
    Volunteers working in 45DegC, not easy!

• Advertisement

P1030973_2.jpg
    Some local kids. They like to have their photo taken.

P1030777.jpg
    Some of the locals helping out in our kitchen. My job was to keep the air conditioning going so that 400 people could be fed!

P1030770.jpg
    The problem was the generator for the AC units had died! As can be seen all phases are green as is the neutral. In general, earths do not exist in Haiti! In this place you use whatever materials you can get.

P1030768.jpg
    The AC board had to be rewired while live using 2nd hand cable and MCBs bought at a local market. This is hard to do at the best of times, but in that heat when all of the tools are slippery from sweat it was a real challenge.

P1030773.jpg
    The local electrician that assisted me. He explained that like most other apprentices in Haiti he did not have the chance to go to college. He is also the local pastor. I thought that this may come in handy as the wiring was not up to current ETCI regulations.......

P1030769.jpg
    This is the 2nd generator to fail! Because almost nothing is serviced in Haiti equipment frequently breaks down.

P1030751.jpg
    This is the closest that they have to IP rated switches. We made an enclosure for it from wood. Just as well too as we had the first rain in 5 months, a tropical downpour!

P1040091.jpg
    Some of the finished houses. There are about 200 in total in this village, all built by Haven.

P1030737.jpg
    This is where we ate. The food was prepared under the supervision of serving and retired Irish army chefs to a very high standard under very tough conditions.

P1030750.jpg
    We had to make sun shades for the water pumps. They were getting very, very hot even when not in use.

DSCF0313.jpg
    One of the roofing teams.

P1030786.jpg
    The UN came to visit and swap food. This is quite normal. They were a nice bunch from Argentina. They decided to come back at night to drink some beer with us too!

P1040126.jpg
    I looked after this child for a few hours one day. He was not very well. The other kids kept prodding him to see if he was still alive. About 20% of children here do not live beyond their 5th birthday.

DSCF0329.jpg
    A child at the edge of our compound looking for water.

P1030982.jpg
    The police come to visit us.

P1040230.jpg
    As can be seen here, the police need to be armed to the teeth.

P1040150.jpg
    A mass grave for victims of the earth quake near Port-au-Prince.

P1040259.jpg
    Part of a tented city in Port-au-Prince.

DSCF0265.jpg
    The spread of disease is a real problem in Haiti. We had to be disinfected each time we returned to the compound.

P1040240.jpg
    Airport taxi.

P1030736.jpg
    Community Centre early in the week. Cement dries very quickly in this heat which speeds up construction.

P1040132.jpg
    On the wall of the community centre, something to remember us by.

P1030761.jpg
    Our accomidation.

P1040047.jpg
    Children in their new playground.

P1040052.jpg
    Another happy child!

P1040102.jpg
    I like this picture! It says a lot about Haven.

P1030970.jpg
    The nearest village, built by Haven 2 years ago. It is doing well now and is looked after very well by it's inhabitants.

P1030705.jpg
    Goodbye Haiti!

For anyone that is interested one of the volunteers wrote a very good blog on the trip.

The next and last ever built it week is in October 2011.
    To be part of this fantastic adventure contact Haven Partnership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Truly, truly amazing. Well done to all involved. Ye are a credit to the nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

That would certainly make ye stop and think. Amazing. How long were you there for, is it actually a week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2 words from me about you and what you did for those people over there..........................

WOW and WOW.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    How long were you there for, is it actually a week?

Yes, a week. I was asked to go over for longer, but I couldn't with work commitments.

I`d say the heat must be hard to do anything in. Looks like a great thing to do though. Ye would certainly want your multimeter in good order i`d say working on them boards.

I`d say the heat must be hard to do anything in. Looks like a great thing to do though. Ye would certainly want your multimeter in good order i`d say working on them boards.

Yes, I found the heat very difficult to deal with. I never drank so much water!

I had a Fluke that came in very handy not just for establishing what was live, but also for seeing what currents were being drawn.

When the main generator died we had to use the back up generator. The problem was that the AC units were single phase 220 V. All we had from the back up was a 3 phase generator that was 110 V per phase, so across 2 phases we got about 190 V. They still worked!

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, I found the heat very difficult to deal with. I never drank so much water!

I had a Fluke that came in very handy not just for establishing what was live, but also for seeing what currents were being drawn.

When the main generator died we had to use the back up generator. The problem was that the AC units were single phase 220 V. All we had from the back up was a 3 phase generator that was 110 V per phase, so across 2 phases we got about 190 V. They still worked!

Thats interesting, a fair power drop there and the compressors still ran in them units. Badly needed them AC units there.

Thats interesting, a fair power drop there and the compressors still ran in them units. Badly needed them AC units there.

Working in Ireland there is a constant pressure to ensure that all work complies to the relevant standards (and rightly so). This ensures that there is always a safety factor and in general equipment does not fail.

In Haiti this all went out the window. I got a lesson in what you can get away with when the limits are pushed, such as running the AC units at 190V.

Of course one of the reasons that the generators were failing was that they are not serviced! At one stage a replacement fan belt was "liberated for the cause" from a bus!

Working in Ireland there is a constant pressure to ensure that all work complies to the relevant standards (and rightly so). This ensures that there is always a safety factor and in general equipment does not fail.

In Haiti this all went out the window. I got a lesson in what you can get away with when the limits are pushed, such as running the AC units at 190V.

Of course one of the reasons that the generators were failing was that they are not serviced! At one stage a replacement fan belt was "liberated for the cause" from a bus!

Yes i used to test all sorts of ideas myself years ago, like the 20amp MCB conncected straight to an isolated earth rod, or direct contact with a live phase type of thing and feel nothing, and a few others i forgotten now. I dont know how i havnt blown myself up yet:). Now your connecting a 220v AC unit to 190 volts is another, i thought it might work but wouldnt of expected it to last very long. Sometimes the realities of what happens go against what might be expected to happen because it seems it cant happen according to what is learned.

Were you just doing the electrical end of things there? Some photos you got.

Were you just doing the electrical end of things there? Some photos you got.

The original plan was no electrical work as the houses have no electricity. In the end 80% of my time was spent doing electrical work on site power, generators, AC units, shower pumps etc.

I also did a bit of carpentry, laboring and some gardening. There was a work type available for everyone.

I took about 600 photos in the end!! I will post a few more when I get a chance.

The original plan was no electrical work as the houses have no electricity. In the end 80% of my time was spent doing electrical work on site power, generators, AC units, shower pumps etc.

I also did a bit of carpentry, laboring and some gardening. There was a work type available for everyone.

I took about 600 photos in the end!! I will post a few more when I get a chance.

A you were really the photographer, but did some electrical work and carpentry as well. :)

A you were really the photographer, but did some electrical work and carpentry as well. :)

I always had a very small cheap (€90) camera in my pocket, there was so much to see.

I figured that if you took enough photos a few would have to turn out well. You know what thye say, even a stopped clock is right twice a day ! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 harryhyden

This is really a great one.

• Advertisement

On the run up to Christmas I would like to remind everyone about Haven

This year, Haven will return to Léogâne , Haiti in partnership with Habitat for Humanity & the Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project.

Why not consider volunteering?

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

On the run up to Christmas I would like to remind everyone about Haven

This year, Haven will return to Léogâne , Haiti in partnership with Habitat for Humanity & the Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project.

Why not consider volunteering?

It's a great cause I'd be more than willing to offer a hand but do you have to raise a large amount of sponsorship before hand?

leeomurchu wrote: »
    It's a great cause I'd be more than willing to offer a hand but do you have to raise a large amount of sponsorship before hand?

The short answer: Yes you do.

For details on this it would be best to contact Haven directly.

I am not going to pretend that raising the money is easy, but I managed to do it at a time that I was working very long hours.

Haven set up an online account for each volunteer allowing people to donate by clicking on a link. I emailed my link to everyone in my address book in one go. From that single email I raised over 1/4 of the money I required.

If you are serious about going let me know and I will do what I can to help.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

The short answer: Yes you do.

For details on this it would be best to contact Haven directly.

I am not going to pretend that raising the money is easy, but I managed to do it at a time that I was working very long hours.

Haven set up an online account for each volunteer allowing people to donate by clicking on a link. I emailed my link to everyone in my address book in one go. From that single email I raised over 1/4 of the money I required.

If you are serious about going let me know and I will do what I can to help.

Ah no worries the idea of raising that much money was always off putting so I'll be passing once again shame though because it's always the unskilled cleaners that find it easy to raise the cash.

Good luck with it

Advertisement